Interstellar (2014 film directed by Christopher Nolan)

JoeinAR

Didn't you love the more atmospheric bits Karol? Some of those lovely clusters set against the emptiness and silence of space really sent some chills!

Just saw it again. My favorite part of the score for now is

the twinkly stuff with the rising line (similar to that chorale type passage from MOS) that plays when Cooper is sent back through the wormhole and "holds hands" with Brand

How long until every moment of the score becomes my favorite? Probably not long.

I'm seeing it again this weekend sometime and am looking forward to it.

The part I keep referencing from my first viewing is that cluster, with a bit of a flute flutter in it. It played once during a scene in the house and again when in space from what I remembered. Chilling stuff.

That and a more heightened Glass-style piano piece in the second half of the film.

Any idea what I'm talking about? :P

Indeed! It's the start of what seems to be a "mystery" or "wonder" theme, maybe? It's so lovely. And is that the same piece which then turns into a gorgeous quasi-waltz that plays during the first docking, for instance, or are they separate? I need this album now.

NDT gives it his approval.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/after-cosmos-neil-degrasse-tyson-dives-science-interstellar-n243796

I saw it in 70mm, had to go downtown to see it.

Yeah, I'd have to do the same. I'd love to but it's hard to find the opportunity and I don't know anyone who would want to make that hour-long trip when there's a digital IMAX around the corner. I suppose we'll see it there first and if I really love it, I'll make time and go by myself for a second viewing in 70.

Along with the digital IMAX, though, there's also a theater here showing it in 4K and another in 35mm...anybody who knows anything about these things have an opinion on which is the best option?

I wonder how they're going to duplicate McConaughey's mumbling in Spanish? Is that even possible?

Karol

That's another thing: I realized I would miss a lot without subtitles :lol:

The dub thing has become less of an issue since the situation is a bit better now and I only go to the cinema like twice a year.

The digital IMAX you find in most theater chains is nothing but a regular showing with a larger screen. 35mm is just typical film. If I really like it I'll probably go see it in that at the ArcLight. 4K is standard digital projection. Clean crisp image and great sound.

I wonder how they're going to duplicate McConaughey's mumbling in Spanish? Is that even possible?

Karol

That's another thing: I realized I would miss a lot without subtitles :lol:

And this is actually very true.

Karol

Just saw the film.

I tried to have an open mind and after all the enthusiastic talk I even thought that maybe I'll like it a bit in the end.

I'm afraid it did nothing at all to me.

I didn't care in the slightest about the characters and what was going on in the film.

Another "recent" film I won't be seeing ever again...

What did you think of the score?

Hmmm.. Ok, I can't say it's bad, it has some interesting moments. But it's no E.T. or ESB either.. (or if you want a Zimmer comparison, it doesn't reach IMO Lion King or The Thin Red Line)

The thing is I don't understand why this would need 2 cds.

I heard 4-5 themes/cues that were repeated in the film...

I think the theme was overused in the film and lost any power it might had after a while..

I've seen it again today. The strange sound mix in IMAX made me miss some of the dialogue yesterday. As a result, the film felt more incomprehensible than it actually was. I've seen it projected digitally with that recent Dolby Atmost sound gimmick thingy and could hear things much more clearly. "Things" meaning some dialogue. The rest you can hear just fine (to say the least).

Karol

Most Nolan films don't explain themselves by just watching them. There's usually some crucial bit of dialogue or a small detail shown on screen key to understanding the next 20 minutes...too bad if you got distracted for a second

It was the same in TDK and Inception, you have to strain to understand the story and I find that incredibly distracting in itself

That would make it even worse since it wasn't done in Atmos....

Well, it wasn't.

Most Nolan films don't explain themselves by just watching it. There's usually some crucial bit of dialogue key to understanding the next 20 minutes...to bad if you got distracted for a second

It was the same in TDK and Inception, you have to strain to understand the film

Yes, that is one of his traits. For better or worse.

Karol

It was the same in TDK and Inception, you have to strain to understand the story and I find that incredibly distracting in itself

Agreed. Nolan should quit filmmaking and design Sudoku puzzles for a living. He clearly cares more about mind-games than the human condition.

If your mind is still actively deciphering what was shown or said 5 minutes ago, then you also miss the new elements brought forward and you dig yourself into a hole.

Then your just stuck waiting to see how it ends hoping to make a bit more sense of the whole thing

I consider that a lack of film making skills, and not the result of a sub-par attention span or intelligence of the viewer

Prometheus had the same problem, but it still didn't make any sense even if you read 100 pages of fan forum posts afterwards

I do believe The Dark Knight was incredibly hard to follow plot wise

And Inception was made on purpose that way

I don't like to have to make mental checklists during a film

I saw it in 70mm, had to go downtown to see it.

I'm very fortunate to have seen it in true IMAX 70mm at a theater fifteen minutes from where I live. One of less than twenty in the whole country.

Just got back from seeing it in a Cinemark XD theater. I'm not exactly how to feel about it. There are many flaws in the execution, most notably the humor, which comes in the form of the sassy robot. The voice actor's line delivery just isn't funny. It's a very small aspect of the film but it bothered me nonetheless. I did find a certain cameo to be pretty funny, if unintentionally so.

And while I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, the exposition is laid on very thick, even for a Nolan film.

Hans Zimmer's score is actually pretty good, despite its overly prominent role in the sound mix. Its much less obnoxiously bombastic than Hans' previous work and it stands as the best score to a Nolan film, by a wide margin.

It's still a good movie and is more ambitious than anything else this year. Even if it has trouble living up to said ambitions.

Interstellar

11th best movie of all time according to imdb!

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=tt_awd

just for the record some random picks:

Raiders of the Lost Ark is 31, Apocalypse Now 45, Alien 50, Lawrence of Arabia 85, 2001 A Space Odyssey 101!!