TPM Score rerelease?

Sebulba

It they had released AOTC UE; we would have about 75-80 percent of the whole score, and some small percentage of CD quality additions to use in TPM.

Better than we have now definately. And it would make it easier to wait 20 years for proper releases.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give an example. The track Anakin Defeats Sebulba. I'm not sure if all the segments of this track are meant to flow all together, but as a single track, it's almost like a concert suite and IMHO, one of JW's all time best tracks.

Hi, you can probably get more detailed info in this thread Star Wars Prequel Music Resource but from what I know, track 9 on the OST Anakin Defeats Sebulba is made up from these 3 cues -

3M10 ?? (I've noticed some fan edits call this cue Jabba Introduction/Start Your Engine)

0:00 - 1:38 (In this version, the cue segues into the next cue but the UE version has the ending for it which is basically just a snare roll that plays out).

3M11 The Race Begins

1:38 - 2:27 (This cue is actually missing the first bar, the brass chords and strings trills that you hear at the start this cue on the OST are from bar 2, I'm not sure if the missing bar has ever turned up in any of the games, etc).

4M2 Anakin Defeats Sebulba

2:27 - end

Regardless of all that though, I too think it's a great track :lol:

I'll give an example. The track Anakin Defeats Sebulba. I'm not sure if all the segments of this track are meant to flow all together, but as a single track, it's almost like a concert suite and IMHO, one of JW's all time best tracks.

Hi, you can probably get more detailed info in this thread Star Wars Prequel Music Resource but from what I know, track 9 on the OST Anakin Defeats Sebulba is made up from these 3 cues -

3M10 ?? (I've noticed some fan edits call this cue Jabba Introduction/Start Your Engine)

0:00 - 1:38 (In this version, the cue segues into the next cue but the UE version has the ending for it which is basically just a snare roll that plays out).

3M11 The Race Begins

1:38 - 2:27 (This cue is actually missing the first bar, the brass chords and strings trills that you hear at the start this cue on the OST are from bar 2, I'm not sure if the missing bar has ever turned up in any of the games, etc).

4M2 Anakin Defeats Sebulba

2:27 - end

Regardless of all that though, I too think it's a great track :lol:

That is slightly misguided info:

3m11 The Race Begins

The Album may be missing the first bar (it is there, just layered under "Jabba Introduction/Start Your Engines" ending) but the UE has this first bar, but it is shortened - I use the rear channels of the AotC DVD to restore the bar. The Race Begins is also missing the third section, which, oddly enough, DOES appear partially in the film, after the tracked part of "Escape from Naboo"

That is slightly misguided info:

3m11 The Race Begins

The Album may be missing the first bar (it is there, just layered under "Jabba Introduction/Start Your Engines" ending) but the UE has this first bar, but it is shortened - I use the rear channels of the AotC DVD to restore the bar. The Race Begins is also missing the third section, which, oddly enough, DOES appear partially in the film, after the tracked part of "Escape from Naboo"

Oops ..sorry, I should of been more specific, I just meant the first audible brass chords/string trills are from bar 2.

I think I stupidly disregarded the UE because of how fast it played through those beginning bars, it is in the correct pitch though so I guess it's just shortened/edited like you said.

Is the missing third section section you mentioned an insert or something? as the version on the OST corresponds with written score give ot take a couple of cymbal hits.

Cheers.

You can hear it in the file REPLAY in Star Wars: Racer Revenge, or in Star Wars Battlefront II, both times proceeding the released material for The Race Begins.

Anyways I admit making an personnal ultimate edit of TPM is extremely complicated with the game files...I didn't even do mine.

RotS is feasible for most people here I think

You can hear it in the file REPLAY in Star Wars: Racer Revenge, or in Star Wars Battlefront II, both times proceeding the released material for The Race Begins.

Is this the missing material you mentioned?

If so, could this be 4M1 then?

Like I said, the material heard on the OST from 2:27 - end corresponds with the written cue 4M2 Anakin Defeats Sebulba.

Of course though, this isn't taking in account any inserts, sweeteners, etc, which is also what the said missing material could be.

Anyways I admit making an personnal ultimate edit of TPM is extremely complicated with the game files...I didn't even do mine.

I tried doing ROTS a couple of years ago, I just suck at editing, I kept hearing these clicks and stuff. I'll just have to wait for the official release.

That's the frustrating thing. I generally love assembling edits for myself, but with these scores, the available material is scattered across so many files that I'm really just too intimidated. I did ROTS back in 2006, I think, when there was less music available and all of it had been uploaded to a single organized FTP. Without something like that, I just am not motivated to get to work - and TPM is even worse. As much as I'd like to do both scores properly, I just don't see it happening until someone puts all the files together in one place with descriptions of which material can be found where.

Like I said, the material heard on the OST from 2:27 - end corresponds with the written cue 4M2 Anakin Defeats Sebulba.

Of course though, this isn't taking in account any inserts, sweeteners, etc, which is also what the said missing material could be.

Written cue? Has some sheet music leaked?

3m11 The Race Begins

The missing first bar of 3m11 from Phantom Menace is on the AOTC DVD?

Unfortunately, I don't think so.

A friend of mine has a hard copy of a handful of cues which I've been able to check out.

That's the frustrating thing. I generally love assembling edits for myself, but with these scores, the available material is scattered across so many files that I'm really just too intimidated. I did ROTS back in 2006, I think, when there was less music available and all of it had been uploaded to a single organized FTP. Without something like that, I just am not motivated to get to work - and TPM is even worse. As much as I'd like to do both scores properly, I just don't see it happening until someone puts all the files together in one place with descriptions of which material can be found where.

There used to be an FTP site that had everything organized, but unfortunately those maintaining it understandably didn't have the time anymore. I haven't updated my AotC or RotS in probably 3 years, and TPM in 5 or 6.

It would be nice if it was all available from one central source again. Though if it was, that source couldn't be discussed publically here.

I tried doing ROTS a couple of years ago, I just suck at editing, I kept hearing these clicks and stuff. I'll just have to wait for the official release.

Sigh. Me too.

if there was a FTP like there used to it's be much easier for everyone to have an updated version( but not an FTP that requires special software to connect)

Filling out individual requests is too difficult, especially those that come out of nowhere when the links are gone

There used to be an FTP site that had everything organized, but unfortunately those maintaining it understandably didn't have the time anymore. I haven't updated my AotC or RotS in probably 3 years, and TPM in 5 or 6.

It would be nice if it was all available from one central source again. Though if it was, that source couldn't be discussed publically here.

Yeah, I remember that FTP. That was how my first ROTS attempt was possible - combined with my own rips from the DVD I bought, of course.

I did a few edits to cover my favourite parts of ROTS.

But I didn't go farther than that, since for me, all three scores aren't that noteworthy to begin with.

3m11 The Race Begins

The missing first bar of 3m11 from Phantom Menace is on the AOTC DVD?

Not the entire bar, just the bridge between the first bar and the proceeding snare roll. The UE has the first bar.

Yes... it's in the rear channels during the Jedi vs Droids in the Arena scene. Specifically when R2 retrieves C-3PO's head.

Stop saying it's irrelevant. You'd do the same for your LotR

We don't have to because Jackson, Shore, and New Line are smart and compassionate enough to recognize what the fans wanted, and created The Complete Recordings. Lucas, Williams, and Fox? Not so much.

That being said, I would love to have a meticulously crafted fan-made edit of the Star Wars prequels. It's not irrelevant just because it won't become a Final Jeopardy category.

I won't knock what you guys do for five seconds of quality audio here and there to supersede the OST's, but I also don't have the time, resources, or skill to do it myself. In other words, I mooch.

I agree with Wojo that Jackson, Shore and New Line got it right by releasing the complete intended editions for the LOTR scores.

Only if Lucas, Williams and Fox would learn from the Original Trilogy Special Editions and the LOTR Complete Recordings, and release the Prequels the way they were meant to be.

Editing theses things takes some patience.

It's too bad there's no FTP and the MB rules make it hard to know who has what or not

I don't need to ... hehe.

And no, I wouldn't, because I'd know there is a composer and other people behind the scene who care that fans want 100% complete releases before they grow grey hairs.

Hm, maybe they just feel which scores have impact and which don't.

Oh how I like to push those buttons :)

Editing theses things takes some patience.

Time, practice and patience.

A lot of people don't have time for such things.

Though I will say for me I sucked at editing material when I first started about six years ago. It's taken all these years, practice, patience and time to really get things down perfectly.

Yeah, editing takes a lot of practice, experimentation, and careful listening on high-quality headphones to master. It became a lot of fun for me once I got the hang of it, though.

Though the LOTR CC are miles ahead the star wars material in score presentation, stop forgetting they are flawed too:

truncated segments due to Composer tinkering and crap edited end credits. :)

And missing alot of interesting alternates as of today :P

I know, it really bothers me that Mr. Shore took out bars here and there from random tracks throughout The Complete Recordings sets. I just don't get it.

Wait, took them out is in they are in the movie but not the CR? Or they are in neither, and a manuscript has leaked?

Edit: Post # 1,000. Wow.

Some repetitive bars have been trimmed (mostly from 'Fellowship'). Nothing major.

Though the LOTR CC are miles ahead the star wars material in score presentation, stop forgetting they are flawed too:

truncated segments due to Composer tinkering and crap edited end credits. :P

And missing alot of interesting alternates as of today ;)

Manuel.

Were exactly have the CR's been edited? We know they have been edited because we have been told so.

If no one associated with these releases would have said, no one here would have noticed anything.

But yes, the End Credits are the film versions, which is unfortunate.

But considering the quality of the rest of it, I can't bring myself to really complain.

I tried putting "Bag End" to the film as an isolated score sort of thing and I couldn't match it up. May have been a PAL/NTSC thing. I do know that some prolonged silences were removed.

The only niggle I still have with LotR is (as Luke pointed out) there is a load of alternate stuff (especially theatrical versions) that we still don't have officially. I'm doubtful whether we'll get them on the rarities set.

I used to do a lot of editing when I first started listening to scores but not so much these days as so many sessions are leaking. Does come in handy for TV material though, and I'm going to take a look at Richard Alpert's Lost episode to see what can be extracted.

Manuel.

Were exactly have the CR's been edited? We know they have been edited because we have been told so.

If no one associated with these releases would have said, no one here would have noticed anything.

Compare the CR Disc 2, track 14, 7:44-7:50 to the OST, track 13, 0:17-0:29 - The CR uses a film edit. Probably just a slip up.

I'm sure I've brought that edit up in the past and no one believed me.

There are several points where the exact film mix is used in the CR: (and a chance for me to be the obsessive geek for a change)

Weathertop - the choir is dialled out at 1:22

The Council of Elrond - pretty obvious one - "Aniron" is edited to hell.

The Road Goes Ever On Pt 1 - film edit at 5:20

I'm inclined to think that somehow an audio track directly from the film was used for the FotR CR. This is compounded by the fact that from 2:50 - end in At the Sign of the Prancing Pony on the OST, which is an unused piece, isn't on the CR.

Whereas TTT and RotK have unused music, no film edits that I'm aware of, and add in dropped instrumentation in places. It's a little strange on reflection.

I'm sure I've brought that edit up in the past and no one believed me.

That's hard to understand, it's not exactly difficult to hear.

I'm inclined to think that somehow an audio track directly from the film was used for the FotR CR. This is compounded by the fact that from 2:50 - end in At the Sign of the Prancing Pony on the OST, which is an unused piece, isn't on the CR.

There are a few unused pieces included in the FotR CR as well though, so it must be something more than that.

Whereas TTT and RotK have unused music, no film edits that I'm aware of, and add in dropped instrumentation in places. It's a little strange on reflection.

Yep, TTT and RotK are pretty much perfect releases, but FotR did have a few problems. I can't even begin to understand the reasoning behind including Ian Holm's singing, it's not like it has anything remotely to do with what the orchestra is playing, and is just there because "it's music that was in the film". Really distracting.

Yes, I'm not a fan of the inclusion of dialogue, on any of the sets. Gandalf's ditty in Bag End disappointed me as I was hoping for that bit to be clean, and it is on one of the DVD menus.

The only unused bit on the FotR CR that immediately comes to mind is in Amon Hen where Frodo puts on the ring after escaping from Boromir. In that case, the film simply dialled out the music completely. So while it's unused, it's linked to something that was in the film, and wasn't an addition that you'd need to go to the sessions for.

Also, an isolated score was apparently planned for the extended FotR DVD but dropped because of space. Does raise questions.

The Star Wars scores are worth the effort doing all this crap IMO

No, no film score is worth doing all that work for.

I don't care who the composer is.

I do model railroading, it would be the same as me buying a train, bringing it home to only to realize I still have to finish painting and building it.

Or buying a model and realizing you had to manufacturer some pieces yourself to finish it.

No, no film score is worth doing all that work for.

If it was like that Intrada, FSM, la la land, Varese... would not release their deluxe editions :lol:

Or buying a model and realizing you had to manufacturer some pieces yourself to finish it.

Modding is a popular side of modeling...

No, no film score is worth doing all that work for. I don't care who the composer is.

Unless you...you know...enjoy editing the music because it's an interesting challenge, a puzzle, a skillset that requires practice to perfect and produces useful results when done correctly.

I do model railroading, it would be the same as me buying a train, bringing it home to only to realize I still have to finish painting and building it. Or buying a model and realizing you had to manufacturer some pieces yourself to finish it.

Or building CG models of things from scratch, having to manufacture the whole thing yourself. I do that too.

I don't have any editing skills myself and have yet to come across a satisfying edit of the prequels. The closest I've found to a decent TPM is the edit Good Musician did a few years back.