J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg collaborate for "Super 8"

Koray Savas

Well then Empire of the Sun sounds a bit like Cocoon to me. I'll have to go listen to more Cocoon to see if it was just a trick of the mind.

Those 2 scores are completely different from each other.

I was referring only to the opening five notes from

trailer. Is this the same one that uses music from Cocoon, or is that a different trailer?

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then Empire of the Sun sounds a bit like Cocoon to me. I'll have to go listen to more Cocoon to see if it was just a trick of the mind.

Those 2 scores are completely different from each other.

I was referring only to the opening five notes from

trailer. Is this the same one that uses music from Cocoon, or is that a different trailer?

That's Cocoon. :)

Given that most scores are treated with disrespect in their movies (JW's included), I find that hardly surprising. It doesn't say much these days.

Karol

Ouch.

Still, one of the, if not THE, most anticipated movie of the summer for myself. I'm sure I'll get caught up in it and love it. Critics tend to forget that movies are a (gasp) distraction from real life meant to (gasp) entertain?

There's an American version of that Japanese Super 8 poster now

ZZ20253E8C-550x820.jpg

So does that make it the Japanese-American version? :P

Anyway, looks great!

Interesting that Spielberg's name stands out the most. The same size font helps.

I have an idea that his name will always stand out, anywhere.

If you clip off the JJ Abrams part above, you might actually think for a second that this is Close Encounters...

Aww c'mon, Ricard, don't you remember that part in Close Encounters when Richard Dreyfuss shrank to the size of a young boy and teamed up with a lady of equal stature, and faced off against the alien attackers in the middle of Devil's Tower park a trailer park?

The fact that Ricard decided to post here at all should be an indication that he is not joking around.

Good. The bait worked. :P

Aww c'mon, Ricard, don't you remember that part in Close Encounters when Richard Dreyfuss shrank to the size of a young boy and teamed up with a lady of equal stature, and faced off against the alien attackers in the middle of Devil's Tower park a trailer park?

:lol:

Bunch of pics from the film

http://www.cinemable...per-8-4883.html

Funny how almost all of them is the characters looking at something out of frame :)

In other news, the MPAA has given JJ Abrams‘ Super 8 a PG-13 rating “for intense sequences of sci-fi action and violence, language and some drug use”

You can have one F-bomb in a PG13 movie

I think the current requirements are you can have 1-3 F-bombs in a PG-13 movie. (Only if they're non-sexual in context, which is stupid.)

Gunner Palace is PG-13, and has well over 30 F-bombs. It was originally R-rated for that, but downgraded to PG-13 on appeal.

Gunner Palace is PG-13, and has well over 30 F-bombs. It was originally R-rated for that, but downgraded to PG-13 on appeal.

Wow! I read that sentence and though "there's no way that can be true". But sure enough... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunner_Palace#Film_rating

The fact that Ricard decided to post here at all should be an indication that he is not joking around.

That wasn't a bait. It was your poor and lonely neuron trying to disguise your ignorance, as usual.

That wasn't a bait. It was your poor and lonely neuron trying to disguise your ignorance, as usual.

:lol::rolleyes:

:lol::rolleyes:

You were saying?

Saw this on FSM:

iTunes has put together a "Music From SUPER 8" playlist of songs in the film that you can download here:

http://itunes.apple....r-8/id441596014

1. "Don't Bring Me Down": ELO

2. "Easy": The Commodores

3. "Bye Bye Love": The Cars

4. "Heart of Glass": Blondie

5. "Le Freak": Chic

6. "My Sharona": The Knack

Hmmm, the linked version also includes"Silly Love Songs" by Wings and My Sharona is listed twice (?)

I don't understand why they feel the need to release those songs, most people who grew up in the 70's / 80's probably have those already and they can be had from other albums.

Well I do understand why from a financial standpoint but it's just a waste to me.

They are not "releasing them"... they are already all on iTunes, it's just a playlist. It's so if you see the movie then go home and type "Super 8" into the iTunes Store's search window, they all come up. So you don't have to separately google to find out what the name is of that song you heard was, etc

And a new way to release albums is born. ;)

Studios / artists will start issuing "playlists". No more Greatest Hits / compilation albums. ;)

I don't think many people even know about it. My girlfriend had never heard of it when I said it was the only movie this summer I really wanted to make an effort to see in the theater besides Harry Potter

In other news, check out this Drew Struzan-inspired poster!

super8poster.jpg

I wonder what Spielberg is waiting for to finally give JW a little screen glory! :)

Chris Columbus should have let JW conduct that orchestra in HA2! :angry:

I don't think many people even know about it. My girlfriend had never heard of it when I said it was the only movie this summer I really wanted to make an effort to see in the theater besides Harry Potter

In other news, check out this Drew Struzan-inspired poster!

super8poster.jpg

Nice, but gotta say, I like the other one better.

This seems a bit too... well, Harry Potter-ish.

I wonder what Spielberg is waiting for to finally give JW a little screen glory! :)

ANd Lucas should have made him be in ROTS opera sequence.

ANd Lucas should have made him be in ROTS opera sequence.

ANd Spielberg should have let him play Indy's dad in the Last Crusade!

Well, maybe not. :P

To be honest, I couldn't care less if he does a cameo or not.

Just "Music by John Williams" at the beginning or the end is good enough for me...

Well, I got this vibe like, "John Williams deserved to conduct the orchestra in Home Alone 2 and he was totally cheated!" Maybe he was asked and said, "Nah, Chris, just hire an extra. Thanks, though. We should hang out some time. I'm not too busy, I mean, considering the score I'm writing is just the first movie's cut and pasted. I'm really just interested in getting to work on Schindler's List. I've had enough of this fucking creatively bankrupt sequel. Oops, gotta go."

The funny thing is that the extra they hired bears an eerie resemblance to John Williams...

______

I think this movie is going to be big. My prediction: it will be among the Top 5 most successful movies of 2011.