The Adventures of Tin Tin

I am so excited to hear John Williams' score for the upcoming film 'The Adventures of Tin Tin'

What do you guys think we can expect from him this time round? Another classic John Williams main theme that will go down in history with the rest? Maybe even a fresh sound?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you guys think we can expect from him this time round?

I don't know how Spielberg will portray things, but I'm guessing something like this from Williams ?

I don't think so.Tintin is an adventurer reporter so I expect more a bold main theme like the Raider March (light) like but with the tone of Hook ( it's cartoon and there's Pirates)

I want it to sound like Williams, but not like 2000s Williams. He did a variety of things in that decade, and some of it was very good, but I have a certain impression of what all of it sounded like, and it'd be cool to hear something rather new. (Or something rather old...honestly, no matter how inappropriate to the film it might be, I could hardly complain if we got something that sounded like it was right out of 1981.)

I've read the comics and I can somewhat imagine .TinTin is sometimes serious

Agreed. TinTin comics always had quite a mature edge about them,with the thread of politics, world affairs,cultural interaction,adventure,moral lessons and friendship despite the slapstick aspect. On reflection,yes my Home Alone assumption was probably way off. When I think of the TinTin in Tibet comic,I immediately think of William's

. It all depends on how Spielberg himself sees the comics and what his vision is going to be. Given that this is Spielberg, there may be a risk that ends up going way over the top with the 'moral lesson' thing. Or he may make it all more kiddy like than we realise. I guess we can only speculate at this time.

There will be a lot of expectations surrounding this score, after all, it is the only comfirmed J.W score for 3 1/2 years. I can't say exactly how I want the score to sound (except, of course, quinticentially J.W!). I am looking forward to the Thompson Twins theme (if there is one), as I imagine that this will sound at once pompous, and quirky. I hope that the score captures the innocence and fun of the comic strip. Other than that, I am happy to wait until 19th. December, 2011 (or there abouts) to hear it. It's not as if we don't have anything to listen to in the meantime?!

Expect Peter Jackson to have a little say in the matter, too...if that's a good thing, we will know in 1,5 years.

Peter Jackson telling J.W. what to compose?! NO FRACKIN' WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, look at the crap he made Howard Shore write!

Expect Peter Jackson to have a little say in the matter, too...if that's a good thing, we will know in 1,5 years.

Ugh! 1,5 years still to go...

Man, I hope Spielberg directs something else in the interim.

As Conrad Pope said, I think Williams' Tintin will be "both expected and un-expected". I think it will be undeniably Williams-esque with some fresh twists and turns.

That "crap" is superior to anything J.W.'s written in the last similar timespan. We should be so lucky to get something comparable with Tin-Tin.

That "crap" is superior to anything J.W.'s written in the last similar timespan. We should be so lucky to get something comparable with Tin-Tin.

Uh, Wojo; my remark was infused with a light sense of sarcasm. The "crap" I was refering to is held by me as some of the greatest film music ever written.

I imagine something like this...

- For Tintin, a theme full of adventure and innocence, very uplifting. Something between the Raiders March and The Tale of Viktor Navorsky.

- For Snowy, a bouncy little theme, very playful and fun. "Viktor and his Friends" comes to mind.

- For Captain Haddock, a pirate-like theme, but also something expressing his alcohol problems. Some Hook influence is sure here.

- For the Thomson Twins, a jazzy theme, with that classical jazz rythm (ts-t, t-tssss-t), but kinda silly at the same time. Maybe in the direction of the Catch me if you Can score.

- For Red Rackham, a very piratey theme, dangerous and misterious at the same time. Influenced by Hook and Jaws.

And that's FIVE themes, without counting the other secondary characters. It's going to be the most melodic thing Johnny has done since Hook! Come on people, get excited! :(

Boy we need some samples NOW...

PS: I was thinking that for April's Fools I will upload a part of the Return to Neverland score. Specially the Pirate Theme included in the Main Title :P

Well Johnny hasn't been attached to other films so he may have been kinda relaxed while writing this score. He's got time, he could even write it again if he wanted. I don't think it's a work on autopilot without themes or something like that. I expect something lovely and not too complex.

It's true that this is one on those movies with amazing score potential, as Michael pointed out.

I can imagine quirky little themes at the moment, I imagine a colourful jazz score for some reason. With the Tsk Tsk high hat and a clarinet solo or something like that, but also classic JW at the same time. Also can imagine things like "ETs Halloween' track. Hope he reverts back to his old days of scoring the likes of Jurassic Park, ET and Jaw. AHHHHHHH I'm so excited lol Too long to wait though :(

I can imagine quirky little themes at the moment, I imagine a colourful jazz score for some reason.

Yes, that's why I keep thinking of Catch Me If You Can and The Terminal!

Hopefully we get at least one good theme...

The pessimist in me thinks it will be all overbearing mickey-mousing (a la KOTCS) and percussive craziness.

The optimist in me hopes for something I haven't heard from him before.

Unless JW tries something completely new and fresh, I think we can expect something like CMIYC.

"CMIYC"? Is this some new cop show, starring David Caruso?

I suppose the good thing about scoring the film so early, is that, if someone doesn't like it, J.W. has 18 months to change it... :(

Unless JW tries something completely new and fresh, I think we can expect something like CMIYC.

"CMIYC"? Is this some new cop show, starring David Caruso?

I suppose the good thing about scoring the film so early, is that, if someone doesn't like it, J.W. has 18 months to change it... ;)

:rolleyes: Not quite.

CMIYC is jwfan-talk for Catch Me If You Can.

I can imagine quirky little themes at the moment, I imagine a colourful jazz score for some reason. With the Tsk Tsk high hat and a clarinet solo or something like that, but also classic JW at the same time. Also can imagine things like "ETs Halloween' track. Hope he reverts back to his old days of scoring the likes of Jurassic Park, ET and Jaw. AHHHHHHH I'm so excited lol Too long to wait though :rolleyes:

Out of the few things he allowed himself to reveal about the score, the orchestrator underlined the role of the accordion.

This is theme from the Tintin animated series made in the 90s (composed by Ray Parker jr.):

Sounds like a combination of The Terminal and Hook! :rolleyes:

That IS what they are. :rolleyes:

Computed generated cartoons.

Wow, i'd hate to see you in a room with Brad Bird. He'd probably beat you to death with his awards.

They are not cartoons. They are films that are presented in the medium of animation. Cartoons are for kids and they have silly characters, paper-thin plots and generally do not conform to any kind of reality. "Cartoon" is a genre unto itself.

Animation is a medium. Animation is not a genre. You can have an animated action-adventure, a thriller, a drama. A family movie or yes, a kids' movie. But that doesn't make it a cartoon.

Tin-Tin is an animated adventure movie. Therefore it should be treated as such and not be labeled incorrectly.

This is theme from the Tintin animated series made in the 90s (composed by Ray Parker jr.):

Is that the beginning of Raiders March at 1:21? :rolleyes:

That IS what they are. :lol:

Wow, i'd hate to see you in a room with Brad Bird. He'd probably beat you to death with his awards.

They are not cartoons. They are films that are presented in the medium of animation. Cartoons are for kids and they have silly characters, paper-thin plots and generally do not conform to any kind of reality. "Cartoon" is a genre unto itself.

Animation is a medium. Animation is not a genre. You can have an animated action-adventure, a thriller, a drama. A family movie or yes, a kids' movie. But that doesn't make it a cartoon.

Tin-Tin is an animated adventure movie. Therefore it should be treated as such and not be labeled incorrectly.

Well the spanish term for cartoon show is 'Animated drawings' so that's why i tend to translate it like that...

The disney classics are cartoons or not?

Or are cartoons only the tom and jery kind of 'drawings'?

This may be a really special score, its the first time John Williams has scored for a cartoon type film isnt it? Maybe that will change the way he writes, who knows :lol:

Well the spanish term for cartoon show is 'Animated drawings' so that's why i tend to translate it like that...

The disney classics are cartoons or not?

Or are cartoons only the tom and jery kind of 'drawings'?

I hate the connotations of the word "cartoon". It's hard to describe, and to be specific, but I'd call the Looney Tunes shorts cartoons, but something like "The Simpsons" is an animated comedy. The Disney classics (Snow White, Beauty and the Beast etc) are animated films.

I'm not meaning to sound harsh, but the meaning of the word is just too muddled and I don't like people throwing it around like that. It can cheapen the integrity of serious animation.

That IS what they are. :mellow:

Hate to say this, but he is right. The only difference between "Up", and "Bambi", is that one is hand-drawn, and one is created in the computer. Both have merits. Strange to think that this is J.W.'s first score for an animated film. Let's hope that he does as good a job as J.G. did on "The Secret Of N.I.M.H."?

Ray Parker jr? The bloke who did "Ghostbusters"? ALL together now: "Who's gonna score? JOHN WILLIAMS!"

That IS what they are. ;)

Hate to say this, but he is right. The only difference between "Up", and "Bambi", is that one is hand-drawn, and one is created in the computer.

Well, i think he explained that there is a different between an animated film and a cartoon and that the latter term should only be used for those fun kind of shorts like Tom and Jerry, Looney tunes, etc, so i think he is the one right.

That TV theme is pretty good.

A lot of these graphic novels had great themes . For example I love the music in the first Lucky Luke movie (Daisy Town) and the first Asterix movie (Asterix le Gaulois).I also like Michel Legrand's music for the first smurf movie (La flute a Six Schtroumpf)...wish I could find a LP rip