Scores that are made my one cue

Taikomochi

I always love those scores where just because of one track, I love them. Field of Dreams for example is pretty mediocre to me until "The Place Where Dreams Come True" which I think is some of Horner's best work. That track alone makes the score for me.

I feel the same way about Howard's Signs score. It's pretty uninteresting until Hand of Fate Pt.1 which really makes the whole score for me.

Other examples?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree about Field of Dreams and especially Signs. For the latter, "Main Titles," "Asthma Attack," "Hand of Fate Part 2," "Baby Monitor," and more are all fantastic. For the former, "Field of Dreams," "Deciding to Build the Field," "Moonlight Graham," and "End Credits" are all great.

But I'd say Elfman's Beetlejuice. Most of the good music from the score is derived from the "Main Titles" (exceptions being "The Fly" and "Travel Music"). And none of these compare to the "Main Titles."

I can hardly stand most of Field of Dreams. Even if I liked it all, I still think The Place Where Dreams Come True is vastly superior to the rest.

I think even for people that like all of Signs, there's hardly any competition for best track on the album, though.

Oh yeah, "Where Dreams Come True" is hands down the best cue, but I think there a quite a few other good ones. For Signs, I'd say "Hand of Fate" is the best track but it's not as easy a decision. "Main Titles" and "Asthma Attack" in particular are fairly close seconds.

Signs is a masterpiece from the first note in my book.

There Will Be Blood features a wonderfully expansive opening cue (Open Spaces). The rest of the score is fairly boring, and often quite annoying too.

I think that goes for most of Elfman's scores. I've said it before, his "Main Titles" are always the best part in his scores.

As for the best track in Signs, it's not automatically "The Hand Of Fate," at least to me. My favorite track would probably be "Recruiting Office." To the ear it's just a quiet boring 2-minute piece of music, but in the film, perfect intricate underscore matched expertly with the tone of the officer's voice. It's one of my favorite moments in the film.

Elfman's main theme piece for Fable is superb, but there's nothing else really worthwile in the rest of the game's score.

He only composed the main theme I'm pretty sure

Saving Private Ryan. I mean, sometimes I can get in the mood for the underscore (and some of it works really well in the movie, certainly), but I mostly just like the Hymn to the Fallen.

Elfman's main theme piece for Fable is superb, but there's nothing else really worthwile in the rest of the game's score.

He only composed the main theme I'm pretty sure

He did, other composers adapted it for the in-game cues.

There Will Be Blood features a wonderfully expansive opening cue (Open Spaces). The rest of the score is fairly boring, and often quite annoying too.

I agree. I also like "Prospector's Quartet", but it's pretty weak aside from those.

As for the best track in Signs, it's not automatically "The Hand Of Fate," at least to me. My favorite track would probably be "Recruiting Office." To the ear it's just a quiet boring 2-minute piece of music, but in the film, perfect intricate underscore matched expertly with the tone of the officer's voice. It's one of my favorite moments in the film.

Oh, I think the entire Signs score works amazingly in the film. It really enhances the creepy feel of the movie. I just find most of it boring on the album and don't listen to it as much as the rest.

As for Elfman, I agree with what's been said. I only liked Wanted for "Success Montage". Edward Scissorhands is one of his better works, I think, but that is one where I only listen to it for one track, "The Grand Finale". The whole score is good, but I don't really feel compelled to listen to any of it, except "The Grand Finale".

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, because of 'Home Again'. I admit a couple of tracks are fun, and there's some good unreleased material, but 'Home Again' is by far the best thing on the album. I look forward to reassessing the score with a complete release, though.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, because of 'Home Again'. I admit a couple of tracks are fun, and there's some good unreleased material, but 'Home Again' is by far the best thing on the album. I look forward to reassessing the score with a complete release, though.

Ah yes, I 100% know what you mean. I barely listened to anything besides Home Again, and when I did, I was disappointed by how it didn't stand up.

The Mutant from Total Recall.

For me,most of the score in terms of action material is far too harsh for listening outside of the movie.

But The Mutant was a masterpiece moment from Jerry, and brings the house down :thumbup:

Saving Private Ryan. I mean, sometimes I can get in the mood for the underscore (and some of it works really well in the movie, certainly), but I mostly just like the Hymn to the Fallen.

I dunno, over the years that score has really grown on me, I think it's a very thoughtful and rather stirring score. John really nails a sense of reverence and respect in tracks like Revisiting Normandy and Omaha Beach, and whilst I like Hymn to the Fallen - it has the sweetest of melodies; I've always found the wailing choir in the second half to be borderline overkill and really off putting, bringing the quality of the cue down somewhat, which is a shame. I wish there were an instrumental only recording of it.

The Mutant from Total Recall.

For me,most of the score in terms of action material is far too harsh for listening outside of the movie.

But The Mutant was a masterpiece moment from Jerry, and brings the house down ;)

Right on, Melange, "The Mutant" is quite the best track on "Total Recall"!!!!! A Goldsmith mini-masterpiece. :D

I've always found the wailing choir in the second half to be borderline overkill and really off putting, bringing the quality of the cue down somewhat, which is a shame. I wish there were an instrumental only recording of it.

I feel the same.

I've always found the wailing choir in the second half to be borderline overkill and really off putting, bringing the quality of the cue down somewhat, which is a shame. I wish there were an instrumental only recording of it.

I feel the same.

Have you guys heard this version of "Hymn to the Fallen?" It's far from an instrumental version of it--in fact, the instruments are replaced with crappy synthesizers. But it may be more satisfying if you thought the full on choir was overkill.

I think both versions are great.

I don't think the choir is overkill in "Hymn for the Fallen", but it definitely toes the line for me at that one crescendo.

Initially, the choir is delicately weaved into the music, sharing decibles with the strings and it's rather lovely. It's only when the shrieking comes in that I get turned off. It's OTT.