Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2?

Zach

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You shut your mouth, Koray Savas! Even though I don't actually know you, I would backhand you if you were within my reach.

Those jokes should not be tolerated. angry.gif

Doyle's score is so bland. I recognize that it has a fanbase, but I still don't get it.

I agree. Only the opening titles are interesting in the slightest.

You shut your mouth, Koray Savas! Even though I don't actually know you, I would backhand you if you were within my reach.

Those jokes should not be tolerated. angry.gif

Yeah! What he said!

Something interesting and also remarkable: When everybody thought the news were "real", everywhere you go to check its accuaracy and read the comments, practically all of them were positive! Specially on IMDb and the Potter fan sites. I have never seen such concern by a film-fanbase for a composer! It's amazing.

I really hope he comes back. Who knows? He might surprise even himself.

Like Mark said, I find it rather disappointing that he would take over Desplat. It is literally the same film here, split over two parts or volumes or whatever you want to call it. Kill Bill is one movie, Che is one movie, Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows is one movie.

The last few films have been the same story arc (technically all the books are, but there's a bigger sense of closure in the first 3). If they can switch composers between films 4 and 5 of the story arc and films 6 and 7, then they can switch composers between films 7 and 8.

Williams will be adapting Desplat's original material from Part I for Part II. In reality, Williams will not compose any new material himself; everything he writes will be based on Desplat's material. Nonetheless, gracious as he is, Desplat will insist on a "Music Adapted by" credit. It's a compromise that should please everyone: the legendary composer will make his long-awaited return to the series without compromising the final installment's musical continuity.

Well all of that was a fun read. Somewhat like riding roller coaster.

Seriously. You should have been there as it unfolded - I was getting heart palpitations.

Desplat is the only one, from Doyle and Hooper, that I get the feeling is a real fan of Williams. Also, he has demonstrated the talent to back it up. I think that he's going to treat William's original material with the respect it deserves.

Most importantly - he has been the only one who has stated a DESIRE to use Williams' original material, and adapt some of it to the appropriate imagery. Doyle and Hooper, I felt that they were acting as if it was some sort of contractual burden they had to bear. Desplat seems to have a very positive attitude and I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Absolutely. Although Desplat said he'd take every opportunity to use "Hedwig's Theme" if he could, he didn't say whether he'd use any of Williams' other motifs for Part One. If Desplat decides to use more than one theme, I feel he should include "Window to the Past" above the others. I was very disappointed with how Hooper scored the Harry/Sirius scenes in "Phoenix".

It's not confirmed because they're still trying to get Hooper to come back.

Pffft. Hooper took himself out of the running more than a year ago.

Williams will be adapting Desplat's original material from Part I for Part II. In reality, Williams will not compose any new material himself; everything he writes will be based on Desplat's material. Nonetheless, gracious as he is, Desplat will insist on a "Music Adapted by" credit. It's a compromise that should please everyone: the legendary composer will make his long-awaited return to the series without compromising the final installment's musical continuity.

This of course will kick off years of debate about who contributed what. Did Williams write any original material, or did he only adapt Desplat's music? Exactly how much new music did Desplat write for the second movie? Who REALLY conducted?

The last few films have been the same story arc (technically all the books are, but there's a bigger sense of closure in the first 3). If they can switch composers between films 4 and 5 of the story arc and films 6 and 7, then they can switch composers between films 7 and 8.

Every franchise has a continuing story arc of some kind. You wouldn't call the Jurassic Park series a single film, would you?

Every franchise has a continuing story arc of some kind. You wouldn't call the Jurassic Park series a single film, would you?

The difference is there is not a whole lot of closure between the last few Potter films. The JP films have very clear distinctions when one film ends/begins. And the main characters shifts around a lot. Whereas in Potter, the main character stays the same, and I'd say that starting with Book 3, we don't get a satisfying conclusion until Book 7.

Koray, you're a bit of about Kill Bill.

Kill Bill is one movie and at the same time two different movies as well.

Tarantino intentionally created the more action packed Vol. 1 and the more introspective Vol. 2.

From what I read, Yates and WB always intended Deathly Hallows parts 1 and 2 to have a different feel.

One story, yet two seperate movies.

This would validate the choice of having two different composers. I dislike this 'holier than thou' attitude of some who claim that Desplat should score both films because otherwise it would compromise the integrity of Deathly Hallows.

Nobody knows that. Actually nobody knows shit around here as proven yesterday (and a year ago when people were swearing Avatar would bomb based on the teaser trailer).

The fact of the matter is: DH could very well be edited intentionally as two films with a distinctive feel. A different composer could perfectly add to that creative decision.

Or they go for more unity of the seperate parts and keep Desplat. It all depends on the final decisions made by Yates and WB.

Hasn't this been a very exciting set of days?!?!

I've decided that whether your source ends up being right or wrong, you are my new hero. I have never witnessed the beginning, middle, and end of a successful urban legend before (good intentions aside). Assuming flaviobessajr's post is truthful, he saw your post on Conrad Pope's facebook, asked WB Brazil if the rumor was true, then posted their response in the affirmative. The rumor spread like wildfire to semi-legitimate blogosphere sources (even the hollywood quasi-news organizations) before being retracted by the original source (some sources, like Mugglenet, still haven't retracted the story). All of this within a week of the initial rumor and hours of the first comment from WB-Brazil. Isn't the world we live in remarkable?

While I do hope I am right in the end - for many reasons - either way, I am kind of happy with myself.

Compos24 changed the world for a moment... (Williams-style Fanfare)

:)

So, OK, I have a feeling now we won't get official work on who scores DH2 until early next year.

Anybody remember when was JW announced as the composer of HP3? Wasn't it in Janauary of that year?

Hasn't this been a very exciting set of days?!?!

I've decided that whether your source ends up being right or wrong, you are my new hero. I have never witnessed the beginning, middle, and end of a successful urban legend before (good intentions aside). Assuming flaviobessajr's post is truthful, he saw your post on Conrad Pope's facebook, asked WB Brazil if the rumor was true, then posted their response in the affirmative. The rumor spread like wildfire to semi-legitimate blogosphere sources (even the hollywood quasi-news organizations) before being retracted by the original source (some sources, like Mugglenet, still haven't retracted the story). All of this within a week of the initial rumor and hours of the first comment from WB-Brazil. Isn't the world we live in remarkable?

:) Well, not the world maybe, but the online world, anyway.

Agreed... but let me have my moment, Josh! :)

(Sigh)

After all of this drama...

I want Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part II to receive the best score for the film, as well as for an album experience. Then, and only then, shall I be truly satisfied.

I wonder if Deplsat will be able to use Hedwig's Theme without it sounding terrible.

Well, it's a waltz. And something Desplat can do no wrong is waltzes :)

It might be in 3/4, but it's not a waltz. By that token, "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" would be a waltz!

It's true. I performed some sexual favors at La-La Land Records.

Well done to you, my friend, but you really needn't have bothered. ;)

Well all of that was a fun read. Somewhat like riding roller coaster.

roller coaster? (thinks) "Rollercoaster"! Now, if Lalo Schiffrin scored DHpt.2, that would be interesting...

I've made some necessary changes to the music portion of the page, addressing the issues. Hopefully, I'll be able to finally engraved Williams name where it belongs soon

Wikipedia: Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows

They had cited one of the remaining websites (The Leaky Cauldon) as proof for Williams' attachment. They were also citing the original Potterish.com link (it has since been modified) as basis for truth.

Now... we can have a little more order. Well, for a little while, anyway... mellow.gif

roller coaster? (thinks) "Rollercoaster"! Now, if Lalo Schiffrin scored DHpt.2, that would be interesting...

angry.gif Enough of these silly statements! As I warned Koray Savas earlier... I'm ready to attack anyone who keeps bringing such horrible ideas to our consciousness.

You're tempting fate into giving us one of these other, and lesser composers! No real disrespect to Lalo Schifrin intended, put the point is there.

Be realistic... it's down to John Williams or Alexandre Desplat for Part II.

I've made some necessary changes to the music portion of the page, addressing the issues. Hopefully, I'll be able to finally engraved Williams name where it belongs soon

Wikipedia: Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows

They had cited one of the remaining websites (The Leaky Cauldon) as proof for Williams' attachment. They were also citing the original Potterish.com link (it has since been modified) as basis for truth.

Now... we can have a little more order. Well, for a little while, anyway... mellow.gif

angry.gif Enough of these silly statements! As I warned Koray Savas earlier... I'm ready to attack anyone who keeps bringing such horrible ideas to our consciousness.

You're tempting fate into giving us one of these other, and lesser composers! No real disrespect to Lalo Schifrin intended, put the point is there.

Be realistic... it's down to John Williams or Alexandre Desplat for Part II.

Somebody got out of bed the wrong way, today. The post was meant as a jest. Perhaps if I has put a :lol: or a :P or even a :) or perhaps a ;) then it might have been greeted with the pesponce that I was expecting. Lalo Schiffrin would never be consideed fo DH pt. 2. In the words of Marty McFly: "lighten up, jerk".

Hehehe ! You're doomed. DOOMED !

As a punishment, if it is not Williams who ends up scoring the Deathly Hallows, you'll have to write an extensive article about how great Desplat music for the second part is (it doesn't matter if it will be true or not !)

I'm probably going to P**s off a lot of people, when I say that, in a strange way, I hope that J.W. does not score D.H.pt.2. I believe, that by scroing the second D.H. film, he will destroy musical continuity between pt1., and pt.2. Imagine if Howard Shore had scored FOTR, and TTT, but was replaced, for ROTK by John Barry. Or, to take another example, if Jerry Goldsmith was replaced for TFC by Ennio Morricone. Or even if J.W himself was replaced for ROTJ by John Scott. It doesn't bear thinking about. The Harry Potter films have made a large effort to provide both visual, and sonic continuity (scores excepted) for the series. The final film(s) provides an oppertunity for a composer (Desplat?) to really get to grips with the (extended) finale of the series. J.W. did a wonderful job of setting up the musical world of Harry Potter; now let someone else finish it.

Your arguments make no sense

Harry Potter is basically Williams' franchise. and who cares between the "musical continuity " of Pt 1 and 2. Like that mattered in previous films...

You are not the first, Richard...

Mr. Olivarez, who is apparently on indefinite leave from JWFAN, reiterates his distaste at the prospect of Williams scoring the last film:

I'm not interested in seeing the HP films but I was hoping from a musical standpoint that Desplat would be able to take this and do something special. It would be a shame to switch composers in the middle of what is essentially one long film split into two parts.

As far as I'm concerned DH would need to have a musical continuity attached to it. Somehow I have a hard time believing that if Williams returns he will be "forced" to expand on ideas developed by Desplat from part I.

Williams is my favorite but I don't think this is a good idea. It's not about appeasing Williams fan's musical thirsts.

(http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=72018)

I agree with the basic concept of Richard's statement.

However, I do want another Williams score, purely as a fan. I also want another Williams Potter score! I'm sure that he would handle the change of continuity better than almost any other person. However, it is a valid concern, should he be confirmed as the Part II composer.

We shall see.

Because why should "musical continuity " suddenly be important in a franchise where it hasn't been ?

And why ,like everyone else, can't you view P1 and Pt 2 like two different films like the rest of the series .The separation in movies/book is purely arbitrary here and it's been one big continuing story since PoA .JK. Rowlings could have written them as Pt 7 and 8 instead of one big book

You make a valid point, as well, king mark.

There has to be a Warner Bros. executive looking at all of this, with a devilish grin, sitting in his plush office chair while petting his white-furred cat. He only laughs in a sadistic and maniacal fashion, and lightning strikes with thunder claps every time.

And what's better? Desplat using Williams themes or Williams composing his own variations..it's as simple as that.

Williams wrote the basic themes and music for Harry Potter, so the RotJ scored by John Scott is not remotely valid.

Because why should "musical continuity " suddenly be important in a franchise where it hasn't been ?

And why ,like everyone else, can't you view P1 and Pt 2 like two different films like the rest of the series .The separation in movies/book is purely arbitrary here and it's been one big continuing story since PoA .JK. Rowlings could have written them as Pt 7 and 8 instead of one big book

Exactly!

And besides, "musical continuity" is overrated. The average Harry Potter fan, even those who care about the music a little, wouldn't notice any musical continuity that might be missing, as long as Hedwig's Theme is heard. It's a different composer, sure, but that's it.

Musical continuity in Potter films has been screwed a long time ago. Heck, even Williams himself got rid of most of his themes and motifs for Prisoner of Azkaban and wrote a completely new and fresh score. So I don't see such a problem in changing the composer between Part I and Part II of the last chapter. Of course letting a single composer doing both scores could produce a more refined and coherent musical narrative, but the idea of a new Williams Potter score is so exciting that I really don't care about musical continuity or coherence.

I feel a bit sorry for Desplat in all this. I know a lot of you are going to give him a proper chance, but I feel to some, he's just some guy that got the job but isn't fit to lick JW's boots, and there's being no consideration given to the fact his score could actually be great, and instead he'll just be like Doyle and Hooper and will write a lame score that will only be fixed by Williams' triumphant return.

I'm probably going to P**s off a lot of people, when I say that, in a strange way, I hope that J.W. does not score D.H.pt.2. I believe, that by scroing the second D.H. film, he will destroy musical continuity between pt1., and pt.2. Imagine if Howard Shore had scored FOTR, and TTT, but was replaced, for ROTK by John Barry. Or, to take another example, if Jerry Goldsmith was replaced for TFC by Ennio Morricone. Or even if J.W himself was replaced for ROTJ by John Scott. It doesn't bear thinking about. The Harry Potter films have made a large effort to provide both visual, and sonic continuity (scores excepted) for the series. The final film(s) provides an oppertunity for a composer (Desplat?) to really get to grips with the (extended) finale of the series. J.W. did a wonderful job of setting up the musical world of Harry Potter; now let someone else finish it.

You seem to underestimate JW a great deal! And I don't agree with you. :lol:

I'll give Desplat a chance since I love his Benjamin Button score and some of his other works, but he's better at "intimate" scores. I have doubts for him scoring something as epic as Harry Potter or "big set pieces".

that will only be fixed by Williams' triumphant return.

At least, that's what we are hoping, anyway. :lol:

I'll give Desplat a chance since I love his Benjamin Button score and some of his other works, but he's better at "intimate" scores. I have doubts for him scoring something as epic as Harry Potter or "big set pieces".

Even if Desplat doesn't write a great score (which I don't believe), it couldn't be worse than what Hooper came up with.

Even if Desplat doesn't write a great score (which I don't believe), it couldn't be worse than what Hooper came up with.

You don't believe he will write a great score, or you don't believe he won't?

I feel a bit sorry for Desplat in all this. I know a lot of you are going to give him a proper chance, but I feel to some, he's just some guy that got the job but isn't fit to lick JW's boots, and there's being no consideration given to the fact his score could actually be great, and instead he'll just be like Doyle and Hooper and will write a lame score that will only be fixed by Williams' triumphant return.

I'm a big Desplat admirer since not-so-suspicious times (2002), so I would be very happy if he retains the scoring duties for Part II as well. But I would be a big fat liar if I say I would prefer a new Desplat score over a new Williams one.

Desplat is one of the (very few) interesting voices of contemporary film music and I'm sure he will hit the ball out of the park with Part I. And let's not forget he's a great Williams fan himself, so I'm sure he would be more than honoured to let JW stepping on the podium for Part II.

You don't believe he will write a great score, or you don't believe he won't?

I don't believe that he won't write a great score... so, in other words, I believe he will write a great score. :)

I don't think he can,at least not Part 2. He's good at traveling music (picture the trio trekking in the woods or going from place to place) and love scenes so it may fit part 1 but Part 2 has flying dragons and the Hogwarts Battle and from what I hear in his past scores I don't think he can pull it off.

He's a bit like John Barry ,a bit "constrained" in his style .If you listen to 4 or 5 Desplat scores in a row they begin to all sound interchangeable.

I also said the one score I don't like from him is Golden Compass and that's the closest thing to what HP might sound like

I don't think he can,at least not Part 2. He's good at traveling music and love scenes so it may fit part 1 but Part 2 has flying dragons and the Hogwarts Battle and from what I hear in his past scores I don't think he can pull it off.

He's a bit like John Barry ,a bit "constrained" in his style

Maybe it's his minimalist-influenced spin that gives you a kind of sense of "sameness", but Desplat is one of the very few young film composers to have a unique voice and a very focused sensibility toward film drama and its needs. And he knows very well how to write for an orchestra. His writing is very clear, very transparent. He probably doesn't have the flair for big Hollywood-esque romantic writing à là Joel McNeely or John Debney -- two fine composers and gentleman, but they sound too generic most of the times, like second-rate Williams -- but he knows how to be melodramatic and how to give excitement to the visuals.