Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2?

Zach

I have read three articles claiming that Duke Nukem Forever will be completed and released next year.

I refuse to put stock into rumors that JW will come out of pseudo-retirement and score a film franchise which has been irrelevant WRT him for years.

Except Duke Nukem Forever really IS being finished. There was even a playable demo at a trade show last week.

compos24 hasn't pulled our leg in the past and I doubt he is now. I'll trust his word and remain hopeful it's true.

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

underwhelmed?..that would be the best JW news in the past 5 years

Now I'm hopeful

I know, it's weird. It just seems so unreal and improbable. That's what I mean. But, yeah, it's good news.

Karol

Hey Guys~

I just wanted to share the info I was given. I, too, am still somewhat skeptical. Until I hear an announcement... I'm not getting up too much hope.

I just thought people would like to know. I've no intention trying to cause trouble or to get people's hopes up with malicious intent.

Best of Everything...

WOW! EXCITING STUFF!!

I just heard from an industry contact that was discussing the Harry Potter 7 score with me.

WILLIAMS IS WORKING ON PART II !!! !!! !!!

He said the company he works for was waiting for Williams to finish work on his part of the film. Desplat is basically finished now, and Williams has already started! Part of the reason was apparently to be able to retain Conrad Pope while was till free before other projects prevented him from joining. Warner Bros. is trying to keep it somewhat "hush, hush", apparently. So - I guess - sorry, Warner Bros.?

As long as he hasn't been purposefully misinformed... my friend is very reliable. He knew about Desplat several weeks before the announcement.

... I hope this comes true and I don't look like an idiot in 2011. :thumbup:

My jaw almost dropped when I read your post!

But, after thinking about it for a while, I'll say that I only believe it when I hear a more official announcement. ;)

Well at least it's better news than an official announcement that another composer if officially scoring part 2.

Come to think of it it's a bit strange that no composer is officially tied to Part 2 yet

Even if JW wants to do DH, he might not be able to, because of a certain guy called Steven who keeps interfering: :thumbup:

Deathly Hallows Part II: Release date 15 July 2011

War Horse: Release date August 10, 2011

He'd have plenty of time for Potter, it's filmed already and is probably in some form of post production.

I still find it strange that Desplat wasn't hired for part 1 and 2 from the start and there's no announced composer for Part 2 yet...that was my biggest hope Williams could come back and this news certainly goes in this direction

Somebody could ask Conrad Pope on his Facebook about this. If Williams has indeed started working on Part II, he probably is informing his usual orchestrators about this. Although the most probable thing is that Pope knows nothing yet as he usually orchestrates Williams end credits suites.

But is worth a try... I would, but I have already asked him too much stuff about Tintin. I don't wanna bother him, al least not for a couple of months :P

Conrad Pope has orchestrated more than the end credits suites...when he's involved in a Williams score, he generally seems to orchestrate a lot of cues.

Cool, I didn't know that! With more reason then, he should know!

Well, I've asked Pope and while I won't post the entire message he sent me (until I get his permission), basically he said that as for yesterday, the recording of HP8 (apparenlty they call it like that in the production team) was undecided, but that that could have changed today.

He says that he really hopes Williams returns, but that he can't confirm or deny it yet.

If he says yes, I'll post the entire message.

Even if JW wants to do DH, he might not be able to, because of a certain guy called Steven who keeps interfering: :P

Josh... that's why it was great news. I said that he wasn't finished, as in, already working on the score! War Horse is still filming, and Tin-Tin is complete.

That's what makes this rumor more powerful! Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Michael / Pablo

I have Conrad as a friend, too. I've seen your message... let us know the result. You're a braver man than I.

Michael / Pablo

I have Conrad as a friend, too. I've seen your message... let us know the result. You're a braver man than I.

:P Well actually its not about bravery, its just the curiosity. It kills me! However, sending a message to Pope is always a pleasure. The way he answers is really inspiring, and he always says nothing but good things about his fellow composers. I imagine where he learned that ;)

The message went very well, but basically he doesn't know yet. I'm sure when he does, he'll say "orchestrating Williams DH2" or something like that. My bet is that in the following weeks we'll know more about this.

Oh, he also said that the main obstacle in the way is "War Horse" (saying that the source material offers amazing possibilities for a great soundtrack), BUT that Williams has had no problems in scoring multiple films at the same time. He cited 2005 and 1991 as examples of this.

Oh, and don't stay up until too late waiting for this... He said that he was going to sleep, so he'll probably answer me (about posting the message here) tomorrow.

And one last thing: He said that in the last six hours two other people had asked him about the same thing, so he sent me a message he sent to other person but that basically covered the same question.

Wow! That's great news! Although Pope not knowing about it seems a bit fishy, especially if the source said that Williams' scoring schedule was built around Pope's. And if Williams has already started, would that mean Pope would know about it? I suppose Williams could just be in the spotting phase, when he doesn't need an orchestrator, but still.

As long as no one gets 100% convinced that this is a done deal, it's totally fine to speculate and be hopeful as these rumors arise. I'm going to maintain some cautious realism, but it seems rather likely that it's at least still a possibility. And that is reassuring.

Well, like most people here I remain cautiously optimistic, but IF it's true that John Williams is already scoring (or is about to start work on) DH, then it means we know more about it than Conrad Pope?

Hmmmm... :huh:

Ok, Pope said yes! Mind you, it is a bit long. But is worth every line. So here it is, what he said first:

Even were I to feel comfortable sharing what I know' date=' I probably would not. I respect all the people involved too much , and know that they need to be able to come to such important decisions in complete confidentiality.

That said, I can tell you this:

I am currently in the middle of working with Alexandre Desplat on his score to the penultimate film. We begin recording with the LSO next week at Abbey Road. I can say that Alexandre will give the Potter score a sensibility and personality--- something different than JW, but distinctive, nonetheless--- and an aesthetic and a clear approach. Qualities, I feel, which were lacking in the last 3(?) films.

Without compromising anyone and anything confidential, I can also share what I know from "3rd(and4th) parties:

As of yesterday, I think the scoring of HP8 was undecided. (as some now refer to it--- ridding us of HP7"b", thankfully,). Perhaps that changed today. That I haven't heard.(Though, please know, I would be the last to hear, in all probability.)

Were John to say "Yes" , I wouldn't be surprised---indeed, I'd be thrilled. (To share a personal note, when I first saw the sketch to "Leaving Hogwarts", the music as Harry departs the school, in HP1, I knew that JW possessed a great insight "Potter"-- that it was about "love" and "family"and the "magic" of discovering who we are-- that is Harry;s"wizardry". Orchestrating for John is like reading great book--- you can hardly wait to turn the page and be astonished and pleased. He has a way of making the surprising seem inevitable--- a rare quality, I'm sure you'd agree. John, more than most, captures the "heart and soul" of every film he scores--- where most of us in film music are lucky to find the muscles and bones of the ones we do.

Selfishly, I hope he says "yes"--- I understand the last installment is finished --- but not edited. It is conceivable he could start now.

BUT, I have not heard that he has. In fact, the most current rumors from those who claim to know more than they often do, is that no writing has commenced. ( Though that could be easily gainsaid by even a household maid-- such is the credibility of the sources I'm referring to).

As anyone who follows these matters knows, the conflict is Spielberg's "War Horse". But John, I might remind you, has in the past, has in one year, composed the scores to a "Potter",a "Star Wars" and "Geisha". In earlier years, "JFK" and "Hook"--- a perhaps "Home Alone " was in there as well. And, I think it is important always bear in mind that JW IS a composer--- he writes music every day--- it is his core. Composing is to him like galloping is to a horse, swimming to a fish--- it is his nature, his essence.

I hope your rumors are correct.My fear, though,is that they may prove to be a mirage. An oasis of a JW score in the present desert of film music is certainly tempting enough to beguile the senses.

Being in London, I'm quite out of touch with the Hollywood gossip mill, and the production team of "Potter" is too pre-occupied with the score at hand to permit an indiscreet question from me in regard to the scoring of the next film.

Here's my bottom line: No one in a position to really, REALLY know , in particular John Williams, has shared their thoughts with me.

The rumors from my end are: John would love to do it, BUT it is too "dicey" with his other commitments( "War Horse" could be extraordinary--- if you don't know the book , read it; if you haven't seen the play, buy a ticket).

I'm afraid I haven't been much help. I seldom am, unless you're making music.

The reason I can write so much at length is that Alexandre has not 'turned over" anything today--- so, I'm left to work on my commission for Australia and write you. You picked a good evening to write!

Wish I could have been more help.

All I can say, I hope Harry Potter is reunited with John Williams and that JW asks me to orchestrate the magic he conjures.

From your email I sense we share the same dream.

Let us both awake tomorrow and find our wishes ,our new reality!

And with that, good night Sandor--- though I'm afraid I've only "muddied"( or is it "muggled") the waters

Warmest Regards

-CP-[/quote']

Haha.... "Sandor" is actually me... (My *real* name - I'll explain this another time...)

This is by the way (part of) another message I got from him this morning:

Please let me summarize again the gist of my message- I know nothing! And, given that I'm in London I could well be the last to know.

I do hope the rumors you hear are correct.

You may well know the outcome of this circumstance before I do! Indeed, you probably will, as I'm a mere foot soldier in this war of giants.

Conrad is such a great guy! It's very apparent that there is a fan at heart.

Well... I really don't know what to feel about my little rumor. Still, we all hope it works out.

Keep us posted for any further updates. Thanks, Michael! :)

Oh, I didn't see it in time to respond...

Thank you, too, Roald! :huh:

Yeah, about that he said:

Yes, I am very much a "fan" as well as a professional. Frankly, my work as a professional only increases my appreciation of great talent, because you come to find it is quite rare. And as the times change, for those who possess great talent, their opportunities to develop it have dwindled substantially.

Well... I really don't know what to feel about my little rumor. Still, we all hope it works out.

Yes, indeed! I am surprised he wrote at such length, though... (I am not complaining.)

Nobody else has ever dissed Patrick Doyle and Nicholas Hooper with such grace and class.

Yes indeed again. :lol:

BTW, he looks like a great guy too!

Harry-Potter-Composer.jpg