Deathly Hallows Split Announced

Jeff

Don't read this thread if you don't want to know where the split is.

You can read the page from Entertainment Weekly here.

I think it's a great place to put the split. Any thoughts?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was about to post it there but then I realized some people may not want to know where the split is and won't want to discuss it openly on the other thread.

I think this subject warrants a new thread. And I agree it's a good place for the split. I'm glad their doing Parts I and II. I get to see two more Potter movies, so I'm happy!.

I was about to post it there but then I realized some people may not want to know where the split is and won't want to discuss it openly on the other thread.

Then you put it in a link - exactly what you did. those who don't want to read it won't click it

Are you the thread police or something? ;) Geez I might take up a KB of server space that we can never get back.

Anyway, I'm excited for this split - I can just imagine Voldemort holding up the wand with a creepy smile on his face as his robes billow in the wind and a bolt of lightning strikes, then the screen cuts to black. What a cliffhanger!

Are you the thread police or something? ;) Geez I might take up a KB of server space that we can never get back.

He never flashes his badge. ;)

thread_police_badge.jpg

Sounds OK to me, if we have to have the moneymaking split at all. That means the first part of the book with all the time the trio spent on the run (admittedly boring on my first read) is being condensed while the last third of the book will really be given time to breathe and shine.

I've seen every one in the theater, though for the last two it was my only viewing. I'll make it to the end, though it's been with more reluctance with each passing movie.

I read 1-3, then saw the movies on VHS (the extended cuts taped). I saw 4 on DVD in the middle of reading 4, which was really really confusing.

I saw 5 on DVD and 6 in the theater before I read either, and then I got the audio books. I started book 5, put it away for six months, and then completed it two weeks ago. Book 6 took only about 1.5 weeks to listen to.

So now I'm on book 7, right when Harry turns 17, but I have read so many spoilers about what comes next that I really wish I hadn't. Based on what I know, I think I know where the split happens, but I'll wait until I'm a bit further before peeking.

I would rather listen to the audio books than watch the movies.

All I can say is I don't want Alexandre Desplat scoring Part 2 - preferably John Williams to do it.

You don't need to make a new thread for something like this

We already have a thread for discussing the movies:

http://jwfan.com/for...iew=getlastpost

Then you put it in a link - exactly what you did. those who don't want to read it won't click it

The least you could do is not be rude about it. So Jay, what is with the obsessive compulsion to neatly stack and organize every discussion? I'm reminded of a thread posted a couple years ago in which GoodMusician ranted that our methods of conversation were so careless, and that we should be careful to save and catalogue any bit of information ever uncovered on Williams. Neil pointed out that this is a discussion forum, not a wiki. People go here to find information second, conversation first. Do you want to completely kill that organic component? Look at the theforce.net music board. It's a lonely place in which 90% of new threads are locked because they share vague similarities to threads that were posted years ago. The message is that, before you say one thing, you'd better read through every thread ever made first. Predictably, nobody does that, and the forum is basically dead. Only the unmoderated, unfocused "cantina" thread has any life to it. Now, I understand consolidation when dozens of similar threads are cropping up all over the place, but this isn't that active a forum. It's easy enough to navigate. The Deathly Hallows thread wasn't anywhere near the forefront.

I mean, I wonder, do you often go to parties, listen in on conversations, then pick up and rearrange people when you overhear something redundant? Of course not, because you understand that people don't like being asked to move for inconsequential reasons. It's like a restaurant insisting that customers keep the ketchup, salt and pepper in the middle of the table at all times, or stationing a guard at the bathrooms to check that all customers wash their hands. It's a good idea in theory, but no one takes it seriously and it just drives people away.

You don't need to make a new thread for something like this

We already have a thread for discussing the movies:

http://jwfan.com/for...iew=getlastpost

The least you could do is not be rude about it. So Jay, what is with the obsessive compulsion to neatly stack and organize every discussion? I'm reminded of a thread posted a couple years ago in which GoodMusician ranted that our methods of conversation were so careless, and that we should be careful to save and catalogue any bit of information ever uncovered on Williams. Neil pointed out that this is a discussion forum, not a wiki. People go here to find information second, conversation first. Do you want to completely kill that organic component? Look at the theforce.net music board. It's a lonely place in which 90% of new threads are locked because they share vague similarities to threads that were posted years ago. The message is that, before you say one thing, you'd better read through every thread ever made first. Predictably, nobody does that, and the forum is basically dead. Only the unmoderated, unfocused "cantina" thread has any life to it. Now, I understand consolidation when dozens of similar threads are cropping up all over the place, but this isn't that active a forum. It's easy enough to navigate. The Deathly Hallows thread wasn't anywhere near the forefront.

I mean, I wonder, do you often go to parties, listen in on conversations, then pick up and rearrange people when you overhear something redundant? Of course not, because you understand that people don't like being asked to move for inconsequential reasons. It's like a restaurant insisting that customers keep the ketchup, salt and pepper in the middle of the table at all times, or stationing a guard at the bathrooms to check that all customers wash their hands. It's a good idea in theory, but no one takes it seriously and it just drives people away.

It is so refreshing to see you bitch at someone other than me. You really are good at it.

It is so refreshing to see you bitch at someone other than me. You really are good at it.

Thanks, Joey. You see, I realized that for all the stupid shit that you say, you're actually quite important to the life of this forum. It's not so much what you say as how you say it: with attitude, with enthusiasm*. On the other hand, 90% of what Jay says is policing, and if he had his way (which he just might after Andreas resigns), every off topic or redundant post would be locked or deleted until this forum becomes nothing more than the "discussion" section of a Wikipedia article. Heck, Joey, in time you may be forced to tag the good old "IMNSFHO" onto every post you make and face a permanent ban if you get so much as peeved at anybody. Am I exaggerating? Yeah, of course, but somebody had to bring this up.

*That's not counting our last spat, Joey! You did, after all, call me a racist. :baaa:

Shame on you, Henry. Don't you know that every time we start a superfluous thread, John Williams' death draws nearer? I can't believe you could be so callous.

Thanks, Joey. You see, I realized that for all the stupid shit that you say, you're actually quite important to the life of this forum. It's not so much what you say as how you say it: with attitude, with enthusiasm*. On the other hand, 90% of what Jay says is policing, and if he had his way (which he just might after Andreas resigns), every off topic or redundant post would be locked or deleted until this forum becomes nothing more than the "discussion" section of a Wikipedia article. Heck, Joey, in time you may be forced to tag the good old "IMNSFHO" onto every post you make and face a permanent ban if you get so much as peeved at anybody. Am I exaggerating? Yeah, of course, but somebody had to bring this up.

There would be an exodus from the board.

Yeah, I hate Jay, too!

Oh, wait, he's actually a cool guy who doesn't spend that much time "policing" as far as I can tell. Go figure...never mind.

I don't hate Jay. I think he's a cool guy most of the time (sure, 90% policing was an exaggeration). He's especially put lots of work into cataloguing unreleased music for Indy and Star Trek and he's great about relaying clues and announcements from CD labels. This wouldn't even bother me if he wasn't trying to become the new moderator (i.e. gain thread locking/splicing power), but it seems like he is. This is, of course, a privately owned discussion board that doesn't allow freedom of speech. That's fine. I just think that obsessively consolidating similar subjects will destroy the natural flow of conversation here and drive many people away. In my opinion, it's a concern.

I don't hate Jay. I think he's a cool guy most of the time (sure, 90% policing was an exaggeration). He's especially put lots of work into cataloguing unreleased music for Indy and Star Trek and he's great about relaying clues and announcements from CD labels. This wouldn't even bother me if he wasn't trying to become the new moderator (i.e. gain thread locking/splicing power), but it seems like he is. This is, of course, a privately owned discussion board that doesn't allow freedom of speech. That's fine. I just think that obsessively consolidating similar subjects will destroy the natural flow of conversation here and drive many people away. In my opinion, it's a concern.

I have to agree with Mr. Buck.

Honestly, if people are so upset by Jay's thread correction posts then why not just scroll past them? It'll waste about...0.5 seconds of your day. They don't bother me, even if I may not always agree with his corrections.

I think Jay's a good guy (not to suggest than anybody is claiming otherwise, but the conversation is getting a bit heated).

Jay's awesome.

It's not like he's a moderator and actually has power over the board, he just makes suggestions on how to make it a little more organized. And when Ricard and Andreas and everybody do retire, unless he's willing to pay the $1,000+ price to keep this forum going every year, I don't think he's going to be a moderator.

Yeah, I hate Jay, too!

Oh, wait, he's actually a cool guy who doesn't spend that much time "policing" as far as I can tell. Go figure...never mind.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Well this got way out of control real quick.

First, Please take a second to look at this thread:

http://jwfan.com/for...showtopic=17988

Notice in the second post of that, Mark O did the exact same thing I did in this thread, and nobody got mad at him. And a few posts later that thread was closed.

Second, all I was trying to say that we have a very long running thread, the "Potterdom Film/Score Thread", that we've been using for SIX years now to discuss the Potter movies. Its a great thread that Mr. Breathmask liked so much he decided not to lock it after 100 pages. Its currently at 195 pages! When a new minor tidbit comes out such as when the Deathly Hallows film split takes place is announced, it could be posted in and discussed there, thats all I'm saying.

And of course it would be a terrible thing to start locking any new threads that had a vague resemblance to an old thread. Of course that would lead to the board dying. Nobody wants that, and I can't believe Henry thought I would ever want that to happen! If I were a mod, all I would have done was take Jeff's post and merge it in with the "Potterdom" thread and voila - now that thread is on the first page where Jeff's thread was, so anyone looking at page 1 of the board would see it. Is that so bad?

And do I really do much other policing? Yea, I suggested that the "Seeing John Williams In The Flesh" thread should be in General Discussion, not Other Topics. Well guess what, it should be! I think its a good thread that could generate some good discussion, but after 2 1/2 weeks it still only has 30 replies... probably because there are a lot of members that don't go to Other Topics at all! Again, something I would have just silently moved to General Topics without making a stink about it.

I'm sorry I pissed off Henry and whoever else. I'll stop posting my thread suggestions, and hope that you all accept my deepest apologies.

Jay, I'm sorry I overreacted. I may have noted similarities between the theforce.net boards - which truly have an awful moderation policy - and suggestions you make, but I took it too far. Sometimes I think you make strange suggestions (remember Star Trek music should be discussed in the Michael Giacchino thread, not the Star Trek thread?). It's really not that big a deal though. This stuff was just annoying me for a long time and when I said something it was more explosive than I meant it to be. Anyway... you obviously care a lot about these forums, so I wouldn't stop posting this stuff entirely, even if it sort of playing moderator. It's no more my place to object than it is yours to post. I hope we can put this behind us.

*That's not counting our last spat, Joey! You did, after all, call me a racist. ;)

no I didn't call you one (at least I hope not directly), I just wanted to remind you of Massachusetts racial history and all the bussing crap. but in fairness it was prob. before you were born. as for my In My No So Fracking Humble Opinion the Potterdom thread was never meant to be a catch all.

Wow, this thread didn't turn out at all like I thought it would. So much for a detailed discussion of where the split is and where everyone thought it should have been. I guess this discussion about the level of moderation we desire has been helpful, bickering aside.

Jay - I don't mind if you point me to the correct thread in the future. I will try not to take it personally next time. (Just to clarify, though, I was thinking back to the Inception thread we created after everyone kept hiding spoilers in every post, and I was trying to avoid the need for that here. In retrospect that was unnecessary because apparently nobody has anything specific to say about the split.)

I hope we can put this behind us.

Agreed.

I think it's a good split..it has a action ending, then sad, and then a cliffhanger ;)

Just a quick note to say that Conrad Pope updated his Facebook status saying he's started working on the orchestration of Deathly Hallows Part I with Alexandre Desplat. He expects to be there at least until October.

Asked if he already knows Desplat will score also Part II, here's what he said:

As far as I know for certain, AD is signed only for the penultimate picture.

You may speculate, as I do, by whom the very last picture in this amazing series will be scored.

Sorry to be so vague, however I know only what I know and... what I know without any doubt is that Alexandre is scoring the next Harry Potter.

Just a quick note to say that Conrad Pope updated his Facebook status saying he's started working on the orchestration of Deathly Hallows Part I with Alexandre Desplat. He expects to be there at least until October.

Asked if he already knows Desplat will score also Part II, here's what he said:

As far as I know for certain, AD is signed only for the penultimate picture.

You may speculate, as I do, by whom the very last picture in this amazing series will be scored.

Sorry to be so vague, however I know only what I know and... what I know without any doubt is that Alexandre is scoring the next Harry Potter.

I can hear General Burkhalter saying Interesting, very interesting.

Hey Data it was a JOKE, lighten up.

Apology accepted, Henry.

(remember Star Trek music should be discussed in the Michael Giacchino thread, not the Star Trek thread?)

I remember it the other way around, that I was saying it should be in the Star Trek thread and not the MG thread... but whatever, ancient history

Apology accepted, Henry.

(remember Star Trek music should be discussed in the Michael Giacchino thread, not the Star Trek thread?)

I remember it the other way around, that I was saying it should be in the Star Trek thread and not the MG thread... but whatever, ancient history

Ah, my mistake. Again... I took it way too far. I should really be complaining to the moderators at theforce.net, but they'd just delete my posts. ;)

Well if Williams scores Part Two, he'll be scoring action scene upon action scene, especially the climatic fight at Hogwarts. Looks like Alexandre Desplat gets the entire darker, more introspective first half to score.

And what's wrong with Desplat scoring Part Two? As much as I'd love Williams to come back (which he probably won't), it'd be nice to see Desplat finish and seal some musical continuity in the two-part film.

Sounds OK to me, if we have to have the moneymaking split at all. That means the first part of the book with all the time the trio spent on the run (admittedly boring on my first read) is being condensed while the last third of the book will really be given time to breathe and shine.

That puts 24 chapters into the first part, leaving the last ~12 chapters of the book for the second movie. That's a pretty good place for a split: end part 1 with a big battle, and begin part 2 with a big action sequence, before building up to THE battle.

The first part of book 7 is a lot of essential back story that does drag, specifically the details about Dumbledore's family. The hunt portions and sideways glimpses into the enemy's activities are pretty amazing. I'm just concerned about how talky the first part of the movie will be, of how many details it has to convey that were glossed over from book 6's movie. I hope it gets good pacing.

I'd rather be able to watch parts 1 and 2 back to back, but that defeats the purpose of the studio's cash cow venture.

The first part of book 7 is a lot of essential back story that does drag, specifically the details about Dumbledore's family. The hunt portions and sideways glimpses into the enemy's activities are pretty amazing. I'm just concerned about how talky the first part of the movie will be, of how many details it has to convey that were glossed over from book 6's movie. I hope it gets good pacing.

I hope they seriously condense the forest scenes into something more compact and time efficient. It worked fine in the book, but it'd stop the film in its tracks. But I think some of the stuff glossed over in movie 6 (like the other two Horcruxes), will be explained in Movie Two. The 40% of the book left for Movie Two allows the filmmakers to properly set up and wrap up the plot holes from movies 5 and 6.

I'd rather be able to watch parts 1 and 2 back to back, but that defeats the purpose of the studio's cash cow venture.

You can. Rent the DVD/Blu-ray of Part One when it comes out next spring and watch it right before you see Part Two.

They have to condense the time or show time elapse screens. I was surprised at how much time was spent in the forest, with the trio/duo/trio just wandering around, seemingly aimlessly.

I just finished the book. Wow.

You can. Rent the DVD/Blu-ray of Part One when it comes out next spring and watch it right before you see Part Two.

Har dee har har. I had no problem spacing my views of LOTR by 12 months, so this wait will seem like nothing.