Deathly Hallows Split Announced

Jeff

I think the forest scenes are being extended if anything, to highlight the "refugee status" of the trio. If it's done right, it should be an interesting and dramatic turn for the Potter films. If it's done wrong it'll likely be two and a half hours of boredom.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are enough events in Part I to make it interesting, even with all the forest refugee boredom. There's the Seven Potters chase, the Bill/Fleur wedding ambush, the London Death Eater chase, the spooky Godric's Hollow encounter, the trap at the Lovegoods' house, the infiltration of the Ministry, and the escape from Malfoy Manor, just to hit on the major plot points. Just listing them made me realize just how exciting the first half will be. Plus there will be a lot of necessary exposition about what the horcruxes and hallows are, Dumbledore's history, the fight with Ron, getting the sword, etc.

Part II will have the Gringott's scene and the epic Battle of Hogwarts - kind of a ROTJ format (Jabba's Palace, Battle of Endor). I've already heard some people comparing the way Part I will end to the feeling at the end of ESB.

There was a preview screening in Chicago this weekend with David Yates and David Heyman in attendance. One report says that someone asked the question about the composer for Part II and that Heyman said the crew hadn't decided on a final composer yet. Could they be trying really hard to get Williams back?

One report says that someone asked the question about the composer for Part II and that Heyman said the crew hadn't decided on a final composer yet. Could they be trying really hard to get Williams back?

lol

There was a preview screening in Chicago this weekend with David Yates and David Heyman in attendance. One report says that someone asked the question about the composer for Part II and that Heyman said the crew hadn't decided on a final composer yet. Could they be trying really hard to get Williams back?

Oh boy - don't let this get started again!

Surely they should keep Desplat? It's not like its 2 different film they're talking about. It's 2 parts of the same film. I realise Harry Potter is not known for its musical continuity but surely going with someone else (even Williams) would be taking it too far? Unless of course Desplat's score for part 1 has turned out to be an utter train wreck. In that case, bring the black turtle neck back!

This horse is not dead yet till that Part II composer enters the recording studio.

Actually, it will only then be dead when the soundtrack album is out.

Williams could replace Desplat, you know :)

Aaah, now I'm excited again! Dammit!

Come on, Willy! Everybody wants an two hour and a half hours of action music! :)

Oh, and Harry's Wondrous World will be featured on the end credits of the CD version but not in the film version.

according to the people who talk to Yates at the Deathly Hallows screening they haven't chosen a composer for the Deathly Hallows part 2. Which for Williams fans may be good thing.

Aaah, now I'm excited again! Dammit!

Come on, Willy! Everybody wants an two hour and a half hours of action music!

Modern John Williams action music?

I don't think so.

Oh, and Harry's Wondrous World will be featured on the end credits of the CD version but not in the film version.

Huh?

I think he's referring to the fact that the Throne Room is in the End Credits of ROTS on the OST but not in the film itself.

If the producers of "D.H. pt. 2" seriously wanted John Williams, they would have engaged his services long before now. I am looking forward to Desplat's score(s?), and, as much as I would like to J.W. to score pt.2, I believe that this will destroy musical continuity. Of course, Mike Newell has already done that...

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?pageID=5&forumID=1&threadID=65438&archive=0

According to some who have seen a rough cut, some of the film is temped with Zimmer's music.

That's not a comforting thought for Potter fans.

Still, it doesn't matter whether or not the composer is good.

The fact they used his music as a temp track is disturbing enough.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?pageID=5&forumID=1&threadID=65438&archive=0

According to some who have seen a rough cut, some of the film is temped with Zimmer's music.

Oh dear.

Zimmer's music is probably the most used in temp tracks. It's the whole reason how he got to score Sherlock Holmes. Guy Ritchie said, "Why is The Dark Knight playing over my movie?" and called Zimmer up to talk about composing original music.

I'm also not surprised it's on Potter, ever since JW left each and every trailer has ended with a power anthem version of Hedwig's Theme.

Indeed...

Depends which Zimmer scores they used. There are plenty with quieter and actually quite beautiful moments.

However, if they used anything from TDK, we're all officially doomed.

It's just a temp track. Revenge of the Sith was probably temp tracked with Zimmer, if "Padme's Ruminations" is any indication. However, we still got a Williams score for that film, and for this one I'm sure we'll get a Desplat score.

Indeed...

Depends which Zimmer scores they used. There are plenty with quieter and actually quite beautiful moments.

However, if they used anything from TDK, we're all officially doomed.

Actually, I'd say Harvey Dent's theme would fit into the former category.

Actually, I'd say Harvey Dent's theme would fit into the former category.

Yeah, but isn't that one more a Howard cue than a Zimmer one ?

True, but it's still from TDK.

I'm still hoping they go for Broughton for the last one.

By the way, does anyone know who composed Hedwig's theme version that you can hear in The Order Of The Phoenix DVD menu ?

I think The Music Box, a company that specializes in scoring movie trailers, scored the OOTP trailer. The music from that is on the DVD menu.

I was actually referring to the music composed for the domestic theatrical trailer (and most of the clips used in the background were timed to the music).

As DavidCoscina says, Desplat's style is kind of the opposite of Zimmer's. I don't think his score will sound Zimmerish.

But can you imagine, Desplat on "Zimmer mode" ? That would be... interesting...

That's what I thought about TDK, with Newton Howard doing "Zimmer mode". And look how that turned out.