What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

28 minutes ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

Cool Runnings (Zimmer) - Zimmer's best score.  It's a shame he doesn't write like this anymore... "Fun Hans" is a much better composer than "Serious Hans."

Das film muzik is ein very serious business! Not for ze funny stuff, ja!

2 hours ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

Cool Runnings (Zimmer) - Zimmer's best score.  It's a shame he doesn't write like this anymore... "Fun Hans" is a much better composer than "Serious Hans."

Not sure I'd call it his best, but it is indeed a great little score. We need a proper release of this one!

Glory :music:

Haven't heard this one in a while (mostly due to its absence on Spotify), one of Horner's very best. My only real qualm about it is the poor, muted sound quality of the OST.   

Holes :music:

Pleasant, like the film.  Very Thomas Newman-esque with a very slight touch of Williams Americana.

Shawshank Redemption (LLL set) by Thomas Newman

Sunset Boulevard by Franz Waxman

Aliens by James Horner

Lair by John Debney

13 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Shawshank Redemption (LLL set) by Thomas Newman

Sunset Boulevard by Franz Waxman

It's funny, just this morning I started reading this collection of academic film score analyses I checked out from the library called "Anxiety Muted: American Film Music in a Suburban Age" that has essays on both of these.  "Music and Mimicry in Sunset Boulevard" and "The Very Essence of Tragic Reality: Aaron Copland and Thomas Newman's Suburban Scoring."  I mostly checked it out because an essay connecting the music of Copland and Newman was irresistible to me.

https://www.amazon.com/Anxiety-Muted-American-Music-Suburban-ebook/dp/B00YD28OAO

2 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Star Trek: First Contact

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Godzilla (1998)

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Pick the odd man out!

BATMAN: its not there! :lol:

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The Undiscovered Country, obviously! A Star Trek film that isn't scored by Jerry or James! Is No Good!

Of course, it's still the best of the non-Goldsmith, non-Horner Star Trek movie scores!

No. Generations is the best non Jerry/James effort.  It's even better than some of their stuff. 

Bad (or sick) post!

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within by Elliot Goldenthal

Titus by Elliot Goldenthal

Defiance by James Newton Howard

Return to Oz by David Shire

A great score from a very uplifting film.

"Are you going to die, or are you going to get better?"

(pause) "I'm going to get better".

Have you heard ETHEL AND EARNEST?

Of course, he'll always be remembered for his brooding, yet urgent THE WORLD AT  WAR. 

:music: Star Trek Beyond. A score that feels sadly incomplete on the OST and way too overlong on DE. At its best, it has some of the best music from the trilogy. Shame it isn't as consistent from start to finish. But DE is worth getting worth the concert version of Yorktown theme which is a single best thing from the three films: A possibly the single best theme GIacchino has ever written.

Karol

Probably my favourite North score - and an underrated movie, one of the few mass entertainment movies care to dramatize the agony of artistic creation and making come alive the magnificent achievement of Michelangelo (the inevitable Charlton Heston in a surprisingly physical role). North responds with a gentle epic that counterpoint the divine string-led plight of Michelangelo with (sometimes aggressive) renaissance fanfares for his employer, 'warrior pope' Julius II (Rex Harrison, who reportedly hated Heston). The 40-minute Goldsmith re-recording is a perfect summation and here, for a change, the vastness of the concert hall sound is to the benefit of the music at hand. A must have.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Brian Tyler) :music:

Far more entertaining than I was expecting, though the main theme is generic as hell as with Tyler's other blockbuster efforts (I swear they all use the exact same chord progression).  

Banner Saga by Austin Wintory

Sleepy Hollow by Danny Elfman

I believe every piece of music John Williams has written can be traced down to Emperor's theme in the end.