What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

It was kind of an weak tea...diluted Gondry -only his silliness, very little of the inspired imagination- mixed with Rogan and his co-writer's geek sensibility. I love Eternal Sunshine, and I love Pineapple Express, but the both of them, toned down, in the same film- didn't work at all. Not bad like Be Kind Rewind, just boring. All irreverence, no weight to anything.

Watched "Unstoppable" and it was pretty good. A no-nonsense, cut straight to the chase runaway movie and an enjoyable way to way to pass a couple of hours. The final act was quite thrilling and genuinely stirring, the assured execution, solid. 3/5.

Movies with trains are usually entertaining, with a few excpetions. Even stuff like Under Siege 2 is compelling to watch.

And this one clocked in at 90 minutes. Good news, everyone, it is possible, after all.

The Lovely Bones. It was just kind of sad and foreboding, with trippy What Dreams May Come-esque afterlife scenes, good performances and a story that I generally found myself into. The wrap-up I think maybe could have used some work. I did get some Spielberg influence coming through. I was actually reminded of A.I. at some points.

Movies with trains are usually entertaining, with a few excpetions. Even stuff like Under Siege 2 is compelling to watch.

And this one clocked in at 90 minutes. Good news, everyone, it is possible, after all.

I gotta really respect that. Movies have lengthened on average by about 25% since Titanic. Why are comedies like Dinner for Schmucks 2 hours long?

Good God are you people really complaining about long movies? A 8 dollars or more for a ticket I don't want some 84 minute film, and if I'm going to see a event film I want something longer than 90 minutes.

Realistically a movie should be as long as it needs to be.

When the Lotr extended version came out all the virgins here got all hot and bothered, few complaints to be found.

I just watched Jumper last night and at 88 minutes, it was just the right length. Any longer and I would have panned it. Sure, if a movie is spectacular and can keep you on the edge of your feet a full three hours, let it be. But most movies aren't masterpieces, and don't try to be. That doesn't mean they can't be enjoyed. But in those cases, there's no need to exceed 90 to 120 minutes.

A summer movie, or a popcorn flick should be between 90 and 120 minutes in runtime length. An epic is allowed a longer runtime simply because the audience expects it - they put themselves in the right frame of mind when they go to see a 3 hour movie.

It's wrong for indulgent directors and bad editors to expect an audience to endure 2.5-3 hours of their action adventure movie, just because LotR was a big hit. It's lazy.

Peope have lives, stuff to do. A theatrical excursion shouldn't mean half of one's day gone.

If a person can make a good 3 hour film, I'm all for it. It's just really hard to do. Many of the best movies are the best in part because they took the time to let everything breathe. It's not necessarily a genre thing- The Leopard's story isn't an epic one, yet it had to be the length it is to achieve what it did. I don't notice it as much with action-adventures (maybe I don't see enough of them), but I definitely agree that many comedies are overlong, and for no good reason at all, just poor directing.

I just stay away from Michael Bay films.

For the record, I like long films, but there are some movies that can be told in less than 2 hours.

After Armageddon I pretty much skipped pretty much everything from Bay. But then I decided to give him a chance and went to see Transformers 2.

Long story short... "I chose poorly".

Karol

I enjoyed The Island. I want him to direct another original screenplay, or rather idea.

The Island was not an original screenplay as it was an adaptation of a much better cheesy book.

The Island was somewhat acceptable at first but then it became another dumb chase movie. Bay just flashes with a camera but he can't tell a story. Unless you think lots of explosions or 'destroying things' is the equivalent of fine storytelling, of course.

I will give Bay credit in that at least he works, he's not like Spielberg and his endless list of films he's making execpt he's not.

The PotC and Harry Potter movies are prime examples of woefully bad editing.

I never noticed any issues with POTC. The first one works just fine, and the other two have so many other problems that the editing is hard to pay attention to.

I can't call Spielberg a lazy director. In fact, I think he sometimes works too fast.

no one called him a lazy director????

he's a director who does not work. It will be 4 years between films for the guy.

if you had the money he has you wouldn't be a cheap jerk and say you couldn't get financing for Lincoln.

If I wasn't working because I didn't have a job and wasn't looking for one, but couldn't pay the bills, that would be lazy.

If I wasn't working because I had made so much money over the last 40+ years of my professional life that I could take time off to do nothing, that's the achievement of the American dream.

Weren't we all once complaining at how he was churning out one movie after the other? Maybe he finally changed his tactics. Heck, maybe Joey will like his movies again.

if you had the money he has you wouldn't be a cheap jerk and say you couldn't get financing for Lincoln.

If I had the money he has I wouldn't even make Lincoln. I'd be trying to get first dibs on certain franchises so Bay and Bruckheimer, or any other of their kind, couldn't ruin them.

;)

Surely Michael Bay working is a bad thing.

Since he's continuing to work, Transformers 3, I'd say that's a given. ;)

Harsh, guys. If there were no Bay, where would we get our popcorn movies from? Don't you ever want to just watch a mindless explosion-fest?

I'm no fan of Transformers (though I enjoyed watching each one once), but I actually really like Pearl Harbor. It needed the extra time to do the bombing sequence justice. That was a powerful thirty minutes of cinema. The rest of the movie was good, though not great.

Harsh, guys. If there were no Bay, where would we get our popcorn movies from? Don't you ever want to just watch a mindless explosion-fest?

Sure, just not when it's preceded by the words "A Michael Bay Film".

Since he's continuing to work, Transformers 3, I'd say that's a given. ;)

Transformers 3 makes absolutely no sense. I saw the trailer on the big screen, and it looks cool, but so seriously flawed.

First of all, we know that the "dark side of the moon" is just a phrase popularized by Pink Floyd. When the moon rotates away from the Earth during the new moon phase, it's all dark. "Dark of the moon" could be a double entendre because of the conspiracy involved.

The side of the moon that we see is the only side visible from Earth. The "far side" of the moon never faces Earth and has only been seen by about 30 men via Apollo spacecraft. The lit side never rotates away from Earth.

To suggest that Armstrong and Aldrin were ever out of radio contact from Earth while on the lunar surface is stupid. Michael Collins up in the command module, yes, he would be when he orbited onto the far side each time.

They also never went more than a few dozen meters from the LEM because they did not know how well their spacesuits would protect them from the extreme heat and cold of lunar vacuum, so making a 21 minute trek into the "dark of the moon" is also ludicrous.

Then again, there is nothing cinematically romantic about using one of the later, lesser known Apollo missions that landed closer to the edge, and could have used the lunar rover to make the trek to the crashed robot spaceship.

No. With Bay's movies the lack of mind goes to such extremes, I feel insulted watching them.

I believe it's perfectly possible to make a fun "popcorn movie" without making it dumb.

"Porpcorn movie" doen's have to mean that it's a bad movie. It's just that they make a whole load of "popcorn" crap today that it ends up being insulting, instead of making B and Z movies and let the money go to good and desirable "popcorn" stuff.

No. With Bay's movies the lack of mind goes to such extremes, I feel insulted watching them.

I believe it's perfectly possible to make a fun "popcorn movie" without making it dumb.

Yeah, Christopher Nolan's movies are essentially popcorn movies. Well, almost all of them. And he always says his primary goal is to entertain the audience. But in his own way.

Karol

But he does. Look at the Box Office. None of his movies was a financial flop. But at the same time he doesn't want to do it the easy way. These are not the festival movies, you know.

Karol