Perseverance releases Rain Man

Koray Savas

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

World premiere release of Hans Zimmer's complete Academy Award-winning score to Barry Levinson's seminal film.

Yeah, except it was only nominated.

Didn't actually win, so... there you go.

The samples sound okay.

A bit too synthetic for my taste.

Yay for those who have been waiting for this one.

Perseverance Records...

AHAHAHAHAHA!

Sounds like a Happy Pappy Club for failed artists who can't get their music published....so they go to...PERSEVERANCE RECORDS!

Ahahahahahahahahahaaha!

It's a good score, but I have less and less patience for early Zimmer. It's one big electronic mush, the only thing to take out of it is a melody here and there.

so this deserves it's own thread?

Why not? I personally don't like general 'new releases' threads. And it's not like every thread's a winner, anyways. Maybe if we had some sort of official Zimmer thread, but we don't.

Oh, and the label sounds beyond shady. The Red Sonja release is particularly strange to me...

Perseverance isn't a shady label. Just because it isn't one of the "big ones" doesn't automatically mean it's shady..

Going from releasing scores to C-grade movie to rereleasing out of print limited edition club titles and offering expanded editions to popular scores that have a very similar track listing to some of the boots out there sounds a bit shady. I know nothing about them, and they may have just gotten a big break, their website and production lagging behind. There is simply something a bit funny sounding about the whole thing.

Well, at least to defend the 2-3 weeks shipping...

The Wait Is Over! Rain Man & Red Sonja Available for Pre-Order

Both albums were delivered to the pressing plant on Thursday, so it's still another three weeks until they are ready to ship. However, I thought I would sweeten all of you the waiting time by allowing you to pre-order these two most requested of our albums already. Both titles are limited to 2000 copies and are expected to sell out quickly. There won't be a repressing. Get yours while they're hot!!! - Perseverance Records

The label posted on FSM months back stating that they had acquired the license for Red Sonja and were looking for help finding sources of the music so that they wouldn't have to just do a straight re-issue of the LP program. No other sources existed, so they ended up splitting up the suites in the original program into individual chronological tracks. And their release of David Newman's The Runestone was a bit of a big deal.

Oh shut up. Just because it's Zimmer doesn't mean it's automatically unworthy of any type of announcement or discussion. We do it for every other fucking score. This is a big deal, and the score is complete. The recording sessions bootleg that's out there is only 35 minutes.

Maybe if we had some sort of official Zimmer thread, but we don't.

We do. I created it.

Really what I meant was an official thread that's been absolutely accepted and embraced by all, like the MG one. But even specific scores of his get their own threads...yeah, no reason at all for this not to get it's own thread. Let people's interest level determine its longevity.

Well for every non-John Williams thread, someone just needs to make an unabashed John Williams praise thread to bring balance to the board.

I am really giddy for Cantina Band #2 this week. Who's with me?

Oh shut up. Just because it's Zimmer doesn't mean it's automatically unworthy of any type of announcement or discussion. We do it for every other fucking score. This is a big deal, and the score is complete. The recording sessions bootleg that's out there is only 35 minutes.

Eh, calm down. I believe his trolling of threads with the same question is a common thing. It's like a hemorrhoid. You can't yell at it. You just live with it until it goes away.

Let's all simma down now. ROTFLMAO

This is the first Zimmer release that falls under the specialty labels so it's probably worth a thread of it's own.

We do. I created it.

The bootleg is over 50 minutes. What are you talking about?

I still find it kind of odd, though. This label gets all very unheard of composers(aside from Thomas Newman and Mark Snow who aren't that well known) and suddenly get two releases from two of the most prominent composers in the business. Obviously, Red Sonja and Rain Man lack the marketability of a newer score, but it's a pretty big jump.

I still find it kind of odd, though. This label gets all very unheard of composers(aside from Thomas Newman and Mark Snow who aren't that well known) and suddenly get two releases from two of the most prominent composers in the business. Obviously, Red Sonja and Rain Man lack the marketability of a newer score, but it's a pretty big jump.

They also released Trevor Jones' score to Loch Ness.

Every label starts small. I can assure you if they were bootlegging, Lukas wouldn't let them post at FSM and warnings would be issued.

Not really. Perseverance has been around long enough to have established themselves as legit so I'm somewhat surprised at the accusations.

There's been some mudslinging on FSM's message board by a few producers. Most of it stems from greed and misinformation, or so it appears.

The only problem comes from a few overseas labels. However that can be a legal mess because of public domain rights.

Oh I'm sure our Canadian brother is upset over that. ROTFLMAO

Of course I could point out no other label has tackled Zimmer yet.......

But we should rejoice any release from the specialty labels.

We do. I created it.

The bootleg is over 50 minutes. What are you talking about?

The score as being released here is more or less complete. The recording sessions have some alternates and a reprise of the end credits (and I just realized I've been missing the last two cues). Robin said over on FSM that Zimmer and company flat-out refused to work with them, so their only source was a safety copy of the sessions. We're getting the complete score as heard in the film, plus a few bonuses (source music, alternates).

The score as being released here is more or less complete. The recording sessions have some alternates and a reprise of the end credits (and I just realized I've been missing the last two cues). Robin said over on FSM that Zimmer and company flat-out refused to work with them, so their only source was a safety copy of the sessions. We're getting the complete score as heard in the film, plus a few bonuses (source music, alternates).

A couple of questions:

1) Why would Zimmer refuse to work with people? Is he completely against the idea of special editions of his work?

2) What's a safety copy? Who retains it?

A couple of questions:

1) Why would Zimmer refuse to work with people? Is he completely against the idea of special editions of his work?

2) What's a safety copy? Who retains it?

1) Zimmer has spoken quite a bit about how he hates a lot of his work. It's kinda like JW with The Sugarland Express. I know specifically he never wants Days Of Thunder, Thelma & Louise, and Bird On A Wire to be released. Rain Man is probably another score of his that he thought was represented well enough by the soundtrack cues.

2) I don't know for sure, but I think it means they didn't have access to the master tapes, so the sound quality isn't the best that it could have been.

2) I don't know for sure, but I think it means they didn't have access to the master tapes, so the sound quality isn't the best that it could have been.

That's too bad. So, I'm assuming, it didn't come from MGM? Do they really need Zimmer's permission if he doesn't own the rights to the material? Isn't it entirely possible that Intrada/LLL or some other label could get the master tapes from the original rights holders?

I'm a bit confused about all of this so I apologize for all the questions.

That's too bad. So, I'm assuming, it didn't come from MGM? Do they really need Zimmer's permission if he doesn't own the rights to the material? Isn't it entirely possible that Intrada/LLL or some other label could get the master tapes from the original rights holders?

I'm a bit confused about all of this so I apologize for all the questions.

Well it seems they didn't even contact Zimmer, at least in the beginning. When I told my brother about the release when Robin first leaked it a couple months back, he asked Zimmer about it on Facebook. Zimmer said it was the first he had ever heard of the project, and Robin later explained they were dealing with Zimmer's assistant. So who knows what really happened, some people/companies/studios just don't care about score releases.

RAIN MAN is a great score. I ordered it in a New York sec.

Don't you mean "in a New York minute", because that's when everything can change...

Richard is correct, though Thor is just trying to turn one exaggerated cliche into another one. No problem there.

A New York minute is an instant. Or as Johnny Carson once said, it's the interval between a Manhattan traffic light turning green and the guy behind you honking his horn. It appears to have originated in Texas around 1967. It is a reference to the frenzied and hectic pace of New Yorkers' lives. A New Yorker does in an instant what a Texan would take a minute to do. Also the smallest measurable amount of time in the universe.

Defintely, definitely a New York minute. Definitely.

RAIN MAN is a great score. I ordered it in a New York sec.

Don't you mean "in a New York minute", because that's when everything can change...

He, he...New York minute, sorry (although it just took a few seconds). Not too steady on all the English colloquialisms.