The Great JWFan Challenge - Separating Men from Boys

BLUMENKOHL

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the game started as of whenever Tuesday started for you.

You get one point for every day you go without music. Self-check-in so we can keep track of points!

5371134_tml.jpg

Actually, girl is not the first thing I think of when I meet people named Karol/Carol/Carroll. (Y)

This of course, sucks for women I meet named Carol/Karol/Carroll. Because I immediately connect them to Archie Bunker.

I'm starting to feel it already. Like all of a sudden I get a surge of emotion from something and feel the need to listen to some bombastic music.

And then I have to remind myself that I'm fasting. On the other hand, I've been far more productive today. Ironically I thought I worked better with music. Huh.

im glad im not competing in this, i get to listen to some silvestri! (plus i do rescores, and i HAVE to listen to music to do that)

we should have tempter's who offer a listen to music and offer not to tell anyone just to make things serious when the 40th draws near[er]

Day one is over. The pangs for music died down a little towards the end of the day. It's still eerily silent. On the other hand I've noticed a lot of nuances in the sounds of my office that I previously did not notice.

The most creepy thing I've noticed? My left ear started ringing twice during the day for about 30 seconds to a minute each time. I'm wondering if this has to do with the sudden stop in aural bombardment.

I would have lost on the first day. I just got the urge last night to listen to some film music. It had been about a week since I last listened to some.

I think this is an interesting challenge. I would have dared to do this, but there are two circumstances in my life that will force me out of the competition. First, I do a four-hour round-trip commute each weekend, and without my iPod, I would fall asleep from boredom after 30 minutes each way.

Second, I'm flying to Asia in a couple of weeks. I will need music to keep me sane when I've run out of free movies to watch on the plane.

Good luck to everyone who makes it.

where Jeff see's it as interesting I see it as idiotic.

There is nothing manly about depriving ones self of all possible venues of music. To truly do this one must absolutely avoid all radio, telivision, and movies for 40 days. I must also avoid for 40 days my other half who is apt to break out in a tune, whether it be score or theme song, at any givin moment.

There's so many interesting podcasts out there for the car. The BBC alone has hundreds of podcasts I'm looking forward to tackling during the commute.

Digital Planet rules!

Music podcasts are a no no!

Unless it's talking about music rather than playing music.

your whole process is flawed. If you listen (actively or passively) to something you cannot anticipate what you might

hear. I could be watching sports, case in point, Auburn vs oregon, several williams pieces

were played through that broadcast. Ooops you lose.

Or walking down the street and the little kid having just watched Beauty and the Beast is singing o

or humming the music. Oooops you lose.

How about music getting stuck in your head, oooops you lose?

Well, since I'm sure most of us need no help staying celibate, being John Williams fans, I thought of an even more terrifying challenge to undertake. 40 days and 40 nights of not listening to any pure music CD/on computer/in car/iPod/etc. Watching movies and that sort of thing is OK. If you're the composing type, you can even write your music, even play your piano. But no listening to recorded music if you can help it! (Obviously being in a mall and hearing Katy Perry is not an infraction against you).

if you are young it is rather impossible, after one week or maybe two of celibacy, you are going to have the inevitable nocturnal emission ;)

Just in case, if any Williams footwarmer surfaces, i want the links! I will not listen to it untill the challenge ends, though...

So I had a pair of monitor speakers come in today that I'd ordered around New Years.

And I just realized...I won't be able to use them for what I got them for, for a while. :lol:

Not too devastating, as I'll channel pink noise through them to burn them in anyway. But still.