What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

hmm, I could get free HZD just for the DLC I never played  but  I dunno about getting back into a game I played 3 years ago .Although I could see how it looks in HDR now

Playing this now.Medievil re-make Pretty fun

5 hours ago, King Mark said:

hmm, I could get free HZD just for the DLC I never played  but  I dunno about getting back into a game I played 3 years ago .Although I could see how it looks in HDR now

Playing this now.Medievil re-make Pretty fun

I started the DLC but couldn’t be arsed to carry on with it .

Medievil is great though!

This weekend a friend of mine did that thing where he not only recommended a videogame, but basically forced me to borrow his copy and was like 'You gotta let me know what you think.'  Which is how I've found myself playing Ghost of Tsushima, a game I would never in a million years consider playing normally.

I played for 90 minutes last night and..... meh?  I got to do a little open world exploring after the intro and it didn't seem particularly interesting.  I'm gonna keep going for a while and see if it gets better.

12 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Isn't it basically Far Cry but as a slash 'em up? You know, clearing out enemy settlements and turning them into outposts, rinse repeat? 

That's what it seems like so far to me.... not really my style.  And the story is just a collection of samurai clichés so far too.

From what I’ve heard GoT is basically a prettier Assassins Creed set in Japan without the usual Ubisoft bugs. 

Like Jay I’ll play it when it’s cheap. 

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

I bet it's a map icon clearance fest as well. Basically the reason I stopped playing Ubisoft titles. 

Completely wrong there. It’s an open world game done properly. The entire map is obscured by a fog of war that’s only lifted as you explore. No icons until you actually discover them, encouraging you to wander as you please. There’s also no map icons or markers in game. You’re guided by the wind and environmental changes towards your next objective. 

The side quests are also well written and contain mini plot lines of their own. Stumble upon a new character? You’re now on a 9 mission path that has a beginning, middle, and end that you can complete at your own pace. 

It’s far and above anything Ubisoft would churn out, and that’s coming from a huge fan of Far Cry and a lapsed fan of Assassin’s Creed. That’s not to say it doesn’t follow the general tropes of collectibles and other open world activities. It’s not a perfect game, but it’s damn good and I enjoyed the 60 or so hours I put into it to 100%. 

Hmm, so even after uncovering chief locations on a newly uncovered area/unlocked "outpost", a bunch of new "things to do/find" icons don't then suddenly speckle themselves onto the world map in that area?

That mechanic is there. I believe once you clear a fort the immediate area is cleared on the map. But it takes clearing every enemy encampment to clear the entire area.

The rate at which the map opens is paced perfectly. As you explore a very small portion of the fog is cleared around your path.

The first one came out at the end of the PS3 era and it used that console to its limits. Part II did the same with the PS4. I’d be quite happy for ND to do something else and close out the PS5 era with Part III. 

Pretty sure they started working on Jak back in the PS3 era and quickly canned it when they realized the character models looked too weird with more realistic animations and graphics.

Either way, Naughty Dog is arguably the most talented developer in the industry right now. It’d be a tremendous waste to have them do a Jak game that literally anyone else can mimic.

If recent reporting is to be believed, they’re currently juggling Factions multiplayer, a Last Of Us remake, and some type of Uncharted game. 

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Pretty sure they started working on Jak back in the PS3 era and quickly canned it when they realized the character models looked too weird with more realistic animations and graphics.

Yes. They abandoned it in favour of the Last of Us.

I’m not sure Sony would be interested in Jak anyway when Ratchet and Clank is so popular and an exclusive. 

12 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Either way, Naughty Dog is arguably the most talented developer in the industry right now. 

Hmm, I dunno, their mechanical gameplay leaves something to be desired IMO. Pretty much peerless in the game storytelling department though. 

39 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Hmm, I dunno, their mechanical gameplay leaves something to be desired IMO. Pretty much peerless in the game storytelling department though. 

That’s why I said “arguably” ;)

I love the gameplay in both Last Of Us titles, but of course it may not appeal to others. But as you said, their storytelling capabilities, as well as voice acting, animation, and art direction are all top tier, in my opinion. 

Why did Jak have to look realistic? Was that the only thing they were going to do with it? They didn't like the art style they chose so they dumped the whole thing?

Not a fan of The Last of Us at all. Also, the argument "Well, we have Rachet" isn't anything, since they co-existed for years and were different games...just like Crash and Spyro were. 

I got Assassin's Creed: Origins (the one set on Ancient Egypt) for a very reasonable price on PSN a few days ago. I like the game so far, it has great visuals that look amazing on my TV, a fun RPG-inspired system, a lot of missions and sidequests... The only thing I didn't like was the combat system, which is worse than in previous AC games.

I haven't played all the games in the franchise, but I was a big fan of Black Flag back in 2013/14. 

Some new Sony news/trailers today

Final trailer for Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergade (June 10th)

Curved Space (June 18)

Annoucement of Lost Judgement, sequel to Yakuza spinoff Judgement

3 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

"So please buy a console as quickly as possible even if you only KINDA want it!" 

They’re not widely available and extremely hard to come by lol. That’s not what they’re saying at all. It’s an investor report. 

PS5 PSVR Reportedly Features 4K and Eye-Tracking

sources say Sony has shared details for its refresh of PlayStation VR. This includes a 4K resolution, a lens separation adjustment dial, eye-tracking, and a motor in the headset to give haptic feedback.

The resolution of the PS5 PSVR headset will be 4000×2080 pixels, which works out to being 2000×2040 per eye. This amounts to around 8.3 million total pixels which is slightly more than a typical 4K display outputs. The device will also use USB Type-C to connect the headset to the console. Unlike its predecessor, the new headset will use onboard cameras to track the controllers which will seemingly simplify setup for the PSVR.

That sounds like it could be super expensive. I'd say if they wait a couple years and put it out there to revitalize PS5 when sales start to slow, the parts would get cheaper, but at the rate things are going, nothing's gonna be cheaper for years. 

10 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

...but are they any good?

I’m getting the sense you just don’t like PlayStation.

But anyway. 1st party Sony titles have a pretty great track record these past few years. 

It was more a quantity versus quality thing. These companies always try to impress you with how much stuff they're doing thinking that would make up for the ultimate quality of them.

...but you're right. I've really soured on Sony's games from the last 10 years or so. Used to be a big Sony fan. I think they're a tiny bit better with game variety so far with PS5, but we shall see. 

Astro's Playroom is still one of my favorite games from last year. I played a little bit of the new Sackboy game and it's just a boring version of Super Mario 3D World so far.

7 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I played a little bit of the new Sackboy game and it's just a boring version of Super Mario 3D World so far.

I gotta agree with SilverTrumpet here.  I played through about 75% of Super Sackboy 3D World last year and thought it was just ok.  Overly repetitive, the platforming itself wasn't particularly interesting, and while the feel of the controls was way better than in LBP games it still just wasn't quite all the way there.  It's certainly not a bad game by any means and I'd love to see Sony publish more games like that (meaning, games that appeal to me).

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I gotta agree with SilverTrumpet here.  I played through about 75% of Super Sackboy 3D World last year and thought it was just ok.  Overly repetitive, the platforming itself wasn't particularly interesting, and while the feel of the controls was way better than in LBP games it still just wasn't quite all the way there.  It's certainly not a bad game by any means and I'd love to see Sony publish more games like that (meaning, games that appeal to me).

Was that the one with the Uptown Funk level?

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Agreed 100% with all of this.

I've been on a Sony kick lately. Most of my criticisms are still there but I'm trying to look past them and just accept them for what they are. 

Ghost of Tsushima having no skipping cutscenes is AWFUL though. 

I've been scooping up a bunch of cheapo PS4 games to round out the collection as the PS4 sorta kinda maybe almost starts to wind down with PS5 out now. It's really a great opportunity. Something you never get on Nintendo consoles. 

Just today I found The Last of Us Remastered, Uncharted Lost Legacy, MediEvil, and Killzone Shadow Fall for under $15 each.

Most of the random VR stuff Sony published around 2017 or so is always dirt cheap as well. Some of the VERY early stuff on PS4 is starting to climb in price again just because it's been so long, and obviously the last year or two of games hasn't dropped in price that hard yet (minus Days Gone), so I'll wait for those to drop.

"But Eric, wtf. So many of those were free on PS+."

Yeah, but I really like having a physical game library, so when something's that cheap, I don't mind hard copies. 

Oh, and speaking of these games being dirt cheap and Nintendo games never dropping, here's a great Iwata quote I just came across this morning:

"After a piece of hardware is released, the price is gradually reduced for five years until demand has run its course. But since the demand cycle never fails, why bother reducing the price this way? My personal take on the situation is that if you lower the price over time, the manufacturer is conditioning the customer to wait for a better deal, something I've always thought to be a strange approach. Of course, this doesn't mean that I'm against lowering prices entirely, but I've always wanted to avoid a situation where the first people to step up and support us feel punished for paying top dollar, grumbling, "I guess this is the price I pay for being first in line.""

It's really true. I know just from my own buying habits. I have every first party Nintendo Switch game and I'm only now catching up on first party Playstation 4 games.

Yea my entire PS4 collection is physical editions I picked up for $15 or less, most of them $10 or less I believe.  Plus the random digital games Sony gave me for free (Journey, Ratchet & Clank, Enter The Gungeon, HZD, ABzu, Thumper, The Witness) and one I bought (Symphony of the Night)

PS4.jpg

I too am waiting for some recent games (Final Fantasy VII Remake, The Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima) to hit the $15 mark before I get and play them

That Iwata quote is fantastic, and he's so right about the different feelings each philosophy creates for the consumer.  I don't mind paying $60 for 1st party Switch games when I want to play them (which is often right when they come out), but there's never been a time I wanted to pay more than $15 for a PS4 game.  Luckily, I have so many unplayed games in my house, I'm never at a want for something new to play

That's really the right attitude too. I have such a backlog that I don't need TLOU2 or Ghost of Tsushima right now. By the time I'm ready for it, it'll be much cheaper than it is now.

Switch wise, just buy it when you want it. You're not going to be getting a deal on it almost ever. It's worth $60 because you want to play it enough to drop the $60 knowing it won't lower if you're patient. 

If I like, retired or something and suddenly played 40 hours of video games a week instead of like, 0-5, I'd probably eventually get to the point where I was craving new content and didn't mind paying top price again.  But right now, I'm an /r/patientgamer

I think that's why I ended up not buying many 1st party Switch games. I'm not invested enough in any of these franchises to pay €60 for. 

I dunno if this just means the PS5 sold 2 units…