What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

My Activision account either got hacked or stolen the other week, so my countless hours of COD progress are lost. Waiting on an account recovery ticket to be resolved from Activision Support, but with what I've been reading on reddit, I am fully prepared to never get it back.

That being said, I've dived right in to the Mass Effect Legendary Edition! I never played the original game since it didn't come to PS3 until after 2 and 3 were released. I beat it the other day and it holds up surprisingly well for a 14-year old game. Stiff animations and combat aside, the lore and role-playing elements of BioWare's space opera are a joy to sift through. Moving right along to Mass Effect 2.

Nice, I'd like to play those games some day

What's the benefit of people hacking Activision accounts, can they get money, somehow? Good luck recovering it! 

37 minutes ago, Jay said:

What's the benefit of people hacking Activision accounts, can they get money, somehow? Good luck recovering it!

I have no idea! It’s literally just my stats and game progress stored on their servers. 

Maybe it'll be like a ransomware thing and they'll ask for money to give you access back

On 5/20/2021 at 11:01 AM, SilverTrumpet said:

Just today I found The Last of Us Remastered, Uncharted Lost Legacy, MediEvil, and Killzone Shadow Fall for under $15 each.

Medievil is a lot of fun!

I also just played Ary and the Secret Seasons  . Nice surprise. Not too long and awesome dungeons with fairly difficult puzzles

The Ratchet games always did feel like Marvel movies. I noticed this while playing 2016 the other day.

It's the same quirkiness and even the style of scoring is very very Marvel. 

I've never played one, and don't recall any of my PS friends ever talking about the series once

Are they good?

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

The franchise started in 2002. 

I'm not saying they copied Marvel. I'm just saying their styles are very very similar. It makes sense that they'd eventually reference Marvel. Hell, they work with Marvel now.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I've never played one, and don't recall any of my PS friends ever talking about the series once

Are they good?

I always had trouble getting into the series. It seemed pretty vanilla and stale but playing the PS4 game last week, I tried to be more patient and it finally clicked with me and I finished the whole thing in a day. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Are they good?

I never played any of the PS2 games, but the main PS3 entries and the PS4 remake are all great.

Wait, what?  Your embed already contains the entire livestream; It says right there in the thumbnail Wednesday night 11:30PM EDT.  It's Thursday now.  It's already happened.

They announced Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate and 5 other games

Dragon Quest Treasures, a treasure-hunting RPG starring characters from Dragon Quest XI
A remake of Dragon Quest III in a similar “HD-2D” visual style to Square Enix’s Octopath Traveler
The next major expansion to Dragon Quest X, the Japan-only MMO
Dragon Quest X Offline, a top-down version of X that doesn’t require an internet connection
Dragon Quest Keshikeshi, a mobile puzzle game

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/27/22456124/dragon-quest-xii-announced-35th-anniversary-event

On 5/25/2021 at 10:21 PM, King Mark said:

Medievil is a lot of fun!

As a fan of the original PS1 version I loved the remake! It was so much fun. 

Love the Ratchet and Clank games. I’ll be getting the new one whenever I get a PS5

On 5/26/2021 at 6:41 AM, Jay said:

Are they good?

To an eleven year old, they're hilarious games with all kinds of great, wacky weapons to use in different environments filled with great, wacky characters.

I'm not eleven anymore.

Yeah, but there's something ultimately enjoyable about the gameplay that I really can't describe at this point that makes it satisfying. 

I think it's a very very similar thing to the Lego games enjoyability. 

15 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

To an eleven year old, they're hilarious games with all kinds of great, wacky weapons to use in different environments filled with great, wacky characters.

I'm not eleven anymore.

You could say the same thing about Pixar and Marvel films or anything that appeals to all ages. Pretty dismissive of high quality games, in my opinion. Insomniac’s awesome weapon design permeates through all their titles, and their gameplay mechanics are at the top of the industry. 

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

You could say the same thing about Pixar and Marvel films or anything that appeals to all ages.

I think that's conflating the point,  though, because I don't feel like the humor, the biggest series staple outside of the weapons, _does_ appeal to all ages. It's tricky territory for me to talk about 'cause I don't have anything against adults liking them, but I watched one of my roommates revisit the games seven years ago, and the resounding thought I had throughout was "Man, these games are _not_ for me anymore."

I think their best place was as an adolescent, and letting my enjoyment of them be fond memories.

Some e3 details announced - they're having an "e3 awards show" on the final day

Set to be held on June 15, the E3 2021 Awards will be presented to games that have been showcased across the four-day live E3 event. The winners will be selected by editors from IGN, GameSpot, PC Gamer, and GamesRadar+. The awards are focused on the “Most Anticipated” games at E3, including an overall winner from all games shown across the entire show, as well as the most anticipated games from each of the participating developers and publishers.

https://www.ign.com/articles/e3-2021-awards-show

Seems like a good way to recap the events for people who miss out and help build a little additional hype for games.  For some reason, the Game Awards are fun to watch (if only for how cringey they can sometimes be) so I expect the same kind of thing to occur with this.

Plus, it'll give those that just like to complain more to complain about after E3 ends :w00t:

I have such a huge backlog I don't care about new games.

Genshin Impact is not helping with my backlog because I do stuff in it every day that cuts my time with other games. It's the only Live Service game I plan to stick with because of that

Star Wars Squadrons free on PS+  this month

i started this game

Elden Ring. Holy Shit! looks amazing. I REALLY hope they dumped all the parry mechanics from Sekiro and returned to normal Dark Souls combat

Genshin Impact music just keeps getting better. I'll take this over any current film music

I'm always happy that people are excited for things, and this is obviously mostly down to my own taste, but I really don't get what's exciting about that Elden Ring trailer.  This was just a teaser of what the game will look and feel like, and the art seems like standard dark fantasy anime tropes; I didn't really see any world or character designs that stood out as especially noteworthy or interesting.  Somebody who's really excited for the game, what has you pumped that is specifically from that trailer? (as in, don't just say 'I've loved all the Souls games so I can't wait to play this').  I guess you either vibe with it or you don't.

I think it’s perfectly fine to be a From fan and be excited for their next game. I just hope it isn’t menacingly difficult so I can actually play it. I love their art style and direction and general aesthetic. Their worlds are gloomy and down trodden and intricate. I get that vibe from this trailer, but not necessarily excited for it because of my experience with their previous titles. 

22 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I think it’s perfectly fine to be a From fan and be excited for their next game

Oh for sure, and I'm not suggesting anyone shouldn't be excited based only on the pedigree of the development team.  I just thought that trailer was pretty underwhelming in and of itself.

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh for sure, and I'm not suggesting anyone shouldn't be excited based only on the pedigree of the development team.  I just thought that trailer was pretty underwhelming in and of itself.

Also Elden Ring is supposed to be a true open world game unlike Dark Souls which is semi-linear .That is what gets me the most excited about it. I also hope they take the difficulty down a notch to make it more fun and less a test of will. I beat Demon Souls , Dark Souls 1,2,3, Bloodborne and Sekiro but Sekiro was so extreme i didn't enjoy it and I reached my breaking point

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Jeff Goldblum's in the sequel

Well he was in the first one too (along with Sam Niell, Bryce Dalace Howard, BD Wong and Laura Dern) 

Square Enix is finally bringing ports of Final Fantasy 1-6 with their original graphics.....

........ to steam and Android/iOs only :banghead:

Why not Switch and the other consoles?  WTF SQUARENIX!

After finishing Assassins Creed: Origins a few days ago, I decided to start its sequel, Odyssey. And Jesus Christ, that game is so HUGE.

The map is monstrously big, there's a lot of quests and subquests, places to explore, battles to participate, targets to kill... And, of course, there's the main story. 

Problem is, I don't think this is necessarily a great thing. The game feels so huge and overpacked with stuff that it's easy to feel overwhelmed. And I think these open world games will just feel bigger and bigger now with the ninth generation of consoles.

It's a great game, don't get me wrong. It builds upon and improves a lot of things from Origins, like the RPG system, the combats, story, score... But with Origins it was easier to mantain focus of what you're doing, in Odyssey you can get lost on countless subquests and activities.

Odyssey is an abomination of a game.

Intentionally huge and with an extremely restrained XP drip to force you into wanting to buy XP boosts for real world money. 

After a few hours where it became apparent the game designed to be a chore, I gave up. 

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

extremely restrained XP drip to force you into wanting to buy XP boosts for real world money. 

I never had that. Both my playthroughs I was overleveled for the main questline.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Square Enix is finally bringing ports of Final Fantasy 1-6 with their original graphics.....

........ to steam and Android/iOs only :banghead:

Why not Switch and the other consoles?  WTF SQUARENIX!

...and sold individually.