What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

• 2 weeks later...

About 36 hours into Assassin's Creed Odyssey.  I'm enjoying it much more than 1 and 2 (the only AC games I've played).  It controls smoothly and the cliff climbing mechanic works allows for fluid exploration (something something like Horizon Zero Dawn was sorely missing). 

The visuals are a bit disappointing, often looking blurry and muddy (not helped by the low framerate).  The level-scaling arguably ruins the sense of progression.  In most cases, enemies level up with you 1:1 and most of the game is spent gathering resources to keep weapons and armor levels up.

hmm, I hate level scaling . Ruined games like  Elder Scrolls Oblivion . I prefer overpowered enemies if you accidentally wander into the wrong region

Just finished this game Souls-like mortal Shell. not too long 22 hours but I spend 2 hours to kill the last boss.  Overall a good game if you like that genre and the closest to Dark Souls of all the souls-like

Now I have Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsuchima borrowed from the library.

And a brand new expansion coming to Genshin Impact

So for 1.5 years of the pandemic I've been wanting a portable gaming console… and now just after the recent Switch upgrade announcement, it looks like I'm going to have *two* handhelds next winter…

Looks like those controllers they sell that slide on the sides of a horizontally held mobile phone

Hmm, I played the first hour of Death Stranding and I'm not sure what I'm getting into. Some reviews call it the most boring and pretentious game of all times and that makes me weary of continuing.

10 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Streaming. 

Plus indie gaming and classic gaming (both older PC games and emulators). I can think of dozens of games I'd love to play on this that are already available and will run on this thing right from the start.

Also, far as I remember my PS4 was the smallest model when I bought it, so it should have a 500 GB HDD - that's the same size as on the biggest Steam Deck (but there it's an SSD). Yes, it's getting too small these days, but it can still hold a few big titles and a lot of smaller ones. And don't forget this is essentially a fully featured standard PC. Hopefully, the SSD will be replaceable, but if it's not, you still have an SD card expansion slot and USB ports that allow you to connect any number of external drives you like. Not comfortable for mobile gaming, but since the system is also a standard Linux version (or replaceable by Windows, if you feel you need it), it should be easy to quickly swap out game installs and save games with a big external drive at home before you leave the house. Or even sync it over WIFI. Plus thanks to the OS, it'll be compatible with any number of peripherals - controllers, audio devices, storage, you name it.

I'm looking forward to the Switch for the small number of Nintendo exclusives I'm interested in (basically Mario Kart, 2D Super Marios, and perhaps Wario Ware), but a PC based handheld console with an unrestricted ecosystem is the sort of device I've been dreaming of for decades. I can't wait to run my own game on it (which will even be finished by the time this comes out (knock on wood)).

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

the small number of Nintendo exclusives I'm interested in (basically Mario Kart, 2D Super Marios, and perhaps Wario Ware)

Give Breath of the Wild and Mario 3D World a chance

Just now, Jay said:

Give Breath of the Wild and Mario 3D World a chance

There's a good chance I'll try Zelda at some point (although I haven't been a fan of the few older ones I've tried over the years). Still very dubious about 3D Marios, because I never liked the concept - everything I like about Mario comes from the restrictions of the 2D world. But I'll certainly have a look at least some videos once I actually have my Switch.

Right, I hear what you're saying, and Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, and Mario Odyssey are those types of 3D Mario games. 

However, Mario 3D World (and Mario 3D Land for 3DS) are different than those, and actually more like 2D Mario games 

I've just reserved a Steam Deck. Seems to be quite popular right now, because the Steam servers are pretty much overloaded (and I imagine Valve are better at scaling network servers than most other shops).

I sold my Switch Lite and games today. Once the initial newness wore off I lost interest. The fact that 1st party games never seem to drop in price was off putting but I don’t think I cared enough about any of them anyway. 

Ultimately playing Red Dead 2 and both The Last of Us games a few months after buying it ruined it for me. I much prefer those types of games to the Nintendo stuff. Just not for me.  

• 3 weeks later...

SHOCKER! 

I'm much less excited for it, God of War, and GT knowing that it has to be able to run on PS4 too. 

I really find it hard to argue that Nintendo needs to up their hardware game to move forward when the two other major platform holders don't either. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

So more time for me to finally finish TLoU2, and no foreseeable urge to get a PS5? That's alright I guess.

11 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I was hoping this was further along than it now appears to be. 

I’d say it’ll be timed for the TV Show release 

They confirmed it almost 2 years ago when they announced they had to forgo development on the multiplayer to focus on the campaign for The Last Of Us Part II. They said they would release it standalone at a later time. 

I saw someone say "Oh, if you can't wait, just play the iOS versions. They're great."

People seem to be missing the point here. If they specify Unreal Engine, that means we're looking at full remakes from the ground up. It'll look different, feel different, likely sound different. It's more of a reimagining. 

It's fair, too. They ported the games all over the place but they'd be super hard for modern gamers to get into, so this investment is probably worth it. You don't have to make a game from the ground up, but the amount put into remaking will be a great investment after so many young people have heard about the trilogy and weren't born yet to play most of them.

I know this is probably off topic, but I recently got into writing music for games (nothing major of course). But I was just curious if anyone would mind me sharing some of it here to see what anyone who might be interested in listening thinks.

Thanks!

On 8/13/2021 at 10:50 PM, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

I know this is probably off topic, but I recently got into writing music for games (nothing major of course). But I was just curious if anyone would mind me sharing some of it here to see what anyone who might be interested in listening thinks.

Thanks!

Sure!

Probably be best to put them in this thread:

19 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Trophies. 

Do they have something that shows you what the total is of completed games or do you have to go through and figure out which trophy is the one for completing the game and counting them all up?

$60 Launch Edition, $70 Special Edition, $200 Collector's Edition, and $260 Regalla Edition of Horizon Forbidden West revealed

https://direct.playstation.com/en-us/games/game/horizon-forbidden-west-launch-edition-ps4.3006228

horizon-forbidden-west-CE-1.jpg

horizon-forbidden-west-CE-2.jpg

So obnoxious and confusing. 

Also, the collector's edition and maybe one or two others don't come with a PS5 upgrade but some do and there's no upgrade here but there's an upgrade there blah blah blah.

This is meant to be confusing on purpose.

I'm curious what they will do for the music. In the perfect world I hope they'd record all of the original score with a live orchestra. But given the Jeremy Soule drama from last year I'm not so sure. They could just re-use the music, but then it wouldn't be much of a "remaster".

53 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'm curious what they will do for the music. In the perfect world I hope they'd record all of the original score with a live orchestra. But given the Jeremy Soule drama from last year I'm not so sure. They could just re-use the music, but then it wouldn't be much of a "remaster".

xeTNdTNT_400x400.jpg

2 hours ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

xeTNdTNT_400x400.jpg

I'm thinking that'll end up being the case. Especially now that it seems they'll be essentially combining KOTOR 1 and 2 into a somewhat "new" story, so I suppose it might as well have an original score. Even though it would be nice to hear some of the original music played by live musicians.