What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

6 hours ago, Holko said:

I never had that. Both my playthroughs I was overleveled for the main questline.

If you want to just beeline the main story, you won’t earn enough XP and are forced to do the mundane open world activities. 

Or play all the secondary questlines and explore the map which are far from mundane activities. Don't conflate the daily recurring "go here, kill them" mini-stuff with the rest of the actual content.

Part of me just wonders if you want to play the story linearly and be done with it without exploring, then why play a branching open world exploration game then blame the game for being what it is?

On 6/13/2021 at 8:08 PM, Koray Savas said:

Odyssey is an abomination of a game.

Intentionally huge and with an extremely restrained XP drip to force you into wanting to buy XP boosts for real world money. 

After a few hours where it became apparent the game designed to be a chore, I gave up. 

I thought you were talking about Mario. I agreed up until I saw XP and got confused and had to check which thread I was in.

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Super Mario Odyssey is fine. Nintendo games don’t appeal to me anymore. 

I got bored with it and never finished it. I was never into Ninetendo as a child (aside from Pokemon) so I’ve never really “got it” although I tried. 

I think I just have to accept I’ll never get it.

8 hours ago, His Royal Noelness said:

I got bored with it and never finished it. I was never into Ninetendo as a child (aside from Pokemon) so I’ve never really “got it” although I tried. 

I think I just have to accept I’ll never get it.

Nothing wrong with that. I’m the only person in the world that didn’t like Breath Of The Wild. 

I think so too, but I remember him saying he didn't even get off the plateau before giving up, I think?

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Obviously I disagree on Mario Odyssey, a game I've completed 5 times and played for probably more time than even BOTW.  I just always have a lot of fun if I pick it up.

Mario Odyssey is one of the best games of the past decade

Probably Forza Horizon 4 and Banjo-Kazooie (lol).  For games coming later this year I'm definitely playing Flight Sim and Psychonauts 2.  I'm open to recommendations if anyone wants to make them, bearing in mind that any game where you have to aim with the right stick is pretty much a no-go for me.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I think so too, but I remember him saying he didn't even get off the plateau before giving up, I think?

I’d have to check my Switch for the amount of hours I logged. I did get off the plateau, but stopped playing shortly after that. 

I played 90 minutes of Forza Horizon 4 this evening and wow that game is fun!  It’s always seemed like the core Xbox series I’d most enjoy and I was not disappointed.

I also played through the first world of the 360 port of Banjo Kazooie and was enjoying that too.  Haven’t played that game in 20 years.

Kinda telling that the first games I played on my shiny new Series X were a 360 and an Xbox One game :lol:

1 hour ago, SilverTrumpet said:

You using Game Pass?

Oh yeah, took advantage of the offer where the first 3 months of Game Pass Ultimate is $1/month (and $15 after that).  Pretty amazing deal, really, especially since Ultimate includes EA Play, so I can finally try Fallen Order and Squadrons (not interested in Battlefront due to my previously stated aversion to games that hinge on aiming with the right stick).

It's okay, most shooters on console have auto lock on.....which kinda defeats the purpose of shooters in my opinion, but anyway...

I love Game Pass. I don't see how it's long term viable for them, but I'm not a businessperson like that. Even at $15 a month I get to try all these games I have interest in without either 

a) Paying $60 for a game I'm only moderately interested in or 

b) Wait for a real price drop and the game is dead or irrelevant

It's making me play Xbox a lot more than I had in the past. Playstation who?

Such a collection should really include Symphony of the Night and the DS games.  Basically that whole line of Metroid inspired Castlevanias:

Symphony of the Night (PS1, 1997)

Circle of the Moon (GBA, 2001)

Harmony of Dissonance (GBA, 2002)

Aria of Sorrow (GBA, 2003)

Dawn of Sorrow (DS, 2005)

Portrait of Ruin (DS, 2006)

Order of Ecclesia (DS, 2008)

Yes Symphony of the Night is available on PS4 as Castlevania Resurrection or something like that, which is how I played it. Hopefully that comes to Switch too. It's paired with Rondo of Blood which makes sense because SOTN is a direct sequel to it (the opening fight against Dracula is a replay of the end of Rondo) 

12 months since the release of the record breaking The Last of Us Part II. 

I haven’t had a replay yet because it’s just such an intense experience but I’m looking forward to one soon. 

Started Ghost of Tsushima last week. Absolutely love the swordfighting mechanics. It actually feels like you need to learn and actually think what you're doing, not just hacking mindlessly. Feels very rewarding to up ylur skills. It's gorgeous and yet so brutal. You really feel the cuts. I'm in love.

PS_App_20210624_075740.jpeg

Karol

Finished Far Cry V which looks great but has a wishy-washy, stretched-out campaign that relies mostly on grinding.  Dan Romer's music was great but they play the same music EVERY TIME you open the menu and I found myself turning it off when not doing major story missions.

Finished Far Cry: Blood Dragon.  It nails the 80s cyber aesthetic as much as a Far Cry 3 mod can, which is surprisingly quite a lot.  The campaign is the perfect length at just 8 missions or so and the guns feel great.

Far Cry is a series that's very much manufactured rather than crafted. They always want to crank those out as consistently as possible and they really don't add anything to gaming or on top of the previous entry.

You'd think they'd make more like Blood Dragon, though. It's universally praised, it has a sweet spot length, and wouldn't take 5 years to barely develop in time. Games really don't need to be as long as AAA studios think they do. They should know this too since they have the data showing most people don't finish most games. 

On 6/26/2021 at 1:12 PM, SilverTrumpet said:

Far Cry is a series that's very much manufactured rather than crafted.

They never topped the original game,which was just the proving ground for Crysis. The Far Cry sequels don't deserve the name. Every sequel has just been GTA in a different setting.

On 6/25/2021 at 6:32 AM, crocodile said:

Started Ghost of Tsushima last week. Absolutely love the swordfighting mechanics. It actually feels like you need to learn and actually think what you're doing, not just hacking mindlessly. Feels very rewarding to up ylur skills. It's gorgeous and yet so brutal. You really feel the cuts. I'm in love.

Karol

I found Tsushima was quite accommodating of the "just press buttons hacking wildly" approach.  Visually pretty cool but a disappointment in both story and gameplay.  The game had been practically forced on me by a friend of mine who insisted I borrow it because it was so incredible and that he wanted to talk about how incredible it was with me.  Quite awkward when I returned it and had to be like "so...." :lol:

I actually really enjoyed the fighting gameplay, but found the story pretty disappointing. It is damn beautiful though.

I feel like it gets a lot of praise for the effort but when you distill it down to a game and look at it in the grand scheme of gaming, it's nothing special. Not bad, just nothing revolutionary in any way. Wasn't that FUN either, it was just artistic which is....fine I guess. 

I've never really played a game that had an outstanding story and/or felt revolutionary. And they are all repetitive by their very design. It's pleasant entertainment with occasionally inspired flourishes but there is not single one I would call transcendent on the level comparable to the greatest works of music, literature or film. It's for me mostly just a fun time to spend a couple of hours every now and then and forget about everyday troubles. Perhaps it is just me not exploring enough, or being ignorant, but I don't quite understand what you guys expect from these things.

With Tsushima I wanted to feel what it would be like to star in an old Kurosawa film and that this game delivered in spades. I certainly didn't expect to be enlightened by the experience. 

Karol

That's kinda what I mean. People want so badly to be enlightened by the experience that they'll take a game that takes itself so seriously and convince themselves that it was an enlightenment. 

Sprinkling in CG movies in the middle of the game is the worst way to try to move the medium forward. It's surrendering to another media, thus making the case that gaming can't stand on its own. Something where you have more agency through the story works a lot better, like making decisions and getting reactions to those decisions, or even something like Metroid Prime where the story unfolds mostly from optional scanning and reading log files. I guess Bioshock works in that way too. At least then you're doing something unique that could only be done in gaming. 

I'm not saying exclusively. I'm saying I prefer it that way, but there's no issue having one or two cutscenes in a game. The problem is when you walk slowly from point A to point B and then have to put down the controller for awhile while another cutscene plays, and that's the entirety of the game. 

On the bright side for Tsushima lovers, looks like you're getting another edition of the game: 

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/ghost-of-tsushima-directors-cut-has-been-rated-for-ps5-and-ps4/

Also, Sony has bought Housemarque, developer of Returnal, which I wouldn't be surprised if it saved them from closing down after how Returnal seemed to have performed. 

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/06/29/welcoming-housemarque-to-the-playstation-studios-family/#sf247184082

ALSO, Sony Japan posted congratulations of Bluepoint Studios too, which might have been a booboo. They're fantastic at remakes.