Hlao-roo

Here's what I'd do if I were making it.

Take if off Earth. Any vision of Earth is going to be derivative of what Scott did. It needs to be original. And might as well jettison the existential android angst b/c they're not going to be able to pull that off anyway.  Go Aliens and make it a straight up action flick.

So set it on one of the "off world" colonies.  Now by 2049 all the replicants have inhibitor chips after the disaster of 2019, and there are strict rules on how these replicants can be used.  They're supposed to be just functional enough to perform a specific task, with no independent will. Think Harry Kim. 

Only on this colony, way out on the rim, they're bending the rules. They've found that removing the inhibitor chip makes the replicants more efficient. It's also gotten really hedonistic because many of the wealthier members of the colony are using them as sex slaves. The Tyrell corporation condemns this type of tampering...at least publicly. So a young cop is dispatched to the colony to find out WTF is going on and put a stop to it.

Meanwhile, there's an asteroid, owned by Tyrell, orbiting this colony where replicants are used as miners.  The asteroid blows in a mining "accident," which because of tachyon interference/random technobabble, blocks all communication with neighbouring systems. A small group of Replicants take advantage of the situation, cut the power and the computer systems at the colony, and go on a killing rampage. Everything's powered down, only life support (which is quickly failing), the emergency lighting and and the light of the moon which is shadowed with pieces of the broken asteroid. This is when the young cop's ship arrives. Hit by asteroid debris during the explosion, he has to make an emergency crash landing (is there any other kind). 

It quickly becomes apparent the he and the surviving colonists are isolated, alone, outnumbered and in the dark. They make a startling discovery that calls into question Tyrell's ignorance about the rich colonist's tampering with the replicants. Then they learn one more secret....there's an old colonist living on the edge of town as hermit...an ex Blade Runner named Rick Deckard...

You're welcome.

They've made too many of these friggin Blade Runner movies. It should have stopped well before Blade Runner 2048, which was nothing but Deckard playing a tile game on his smartphone. Time to let it die.

10 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

... make it a straight up action flick.

If it's a straight up action movie then fans will shocked and call it a stupid movie. You would only be pleasing the teens.

Everything that follows something original doesn't have to be a 'copy'. Sometimes, it's just about exploring the universe further. Homer spent most of his life writing on and elaborating the Iliad and The Odyssey. Would you apply the same to this as well? That only the first 'round' of writing was the legitimate, and rest was unnecessary copies?

I maintain that the proof is in the pudding, and as long as there are talented people involved, I have complete faith in this type of 'further exploration' untill otherwise proven.

But if you keep on exploring the same universe and its interconnected themes, Thor, you risk overexposure or that too much is being done for you. The power of Alien and Blade Runner is that they just they actually show very little but just enough so that you want more. They offer a small glance into their worlds. The rest takes place in our mind and maybe that's exactly where it should be.

Alex

On 05/10/2016 at 2:52 PM, Thor said:

BLADE RUNNER, visually, is retrofitted -- which means that, say, gothic element in the architecture constantly collide with more futuristic material or even old-fashioned material like wagons. It's not just "Gotham"-like, it's so much more. So I think a Del Toro approach would take this way too far into its own secluded world. The essential naturalism, realism and humanity would be downplayed. It's pure speculation, of course (like all of this is), but it's a reasonable guess based on his earlier work. I don't want BLADE RUNNER to look like PACIFIC RIM.

Other directors I would have loved to see in this universe (outside Scott himself, Garland and Villeneuve) include Alfonso Cuaron, Duncan Jones, James Cameron. Maybe Alex Proyas back when he was good (not today). Directors like Del Toro, Gilliam etc. could no doubt handle the dystopian element, but would push it too far to the quirky or burlesque.

Agreed. 

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

But if you keep on exploring the same universe and its interconnected themes, Thor, you risk overexposure or that too much is being done for you. The power of Alien and Blade Runner is that they just they actually show very little but just enough so that you want more. They offer a small glance into their worlds. The rest takes place in our mind and maybe that's exactly where it should be.

Alex

I think this is another area where we fundamentally disagree. Things "existing in your mind" is mostly a literary concept; I think film has a whole other arsenal of tools at its disposal to explore things with visual and aural stimuli. And if the universe is as rich as BLADE RUNNER, I see nothing wrong with exploring it further. In fact, I encourage it. It would only be a "slice" anyway....the rest of the mythos exists in your own imagination. This new film will not make the original go away.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I see nothing wrong with exploring it further. In fact, I encourage it. 

What do you mean with exploring it further? Do you mean the new film will most certainly deal with new themes or is it that you simply don't mind if 2049 asks the same questions all over again?

2 hours ago, Thor said:

In fact, I encourage it. It would only be a "slice" anyway....the rest of the mythos exists in your own imagination. 

That's what I said but you said this is only or mostly a "literary concept", suggesting that film isn't capable of provoking the viewer to build and expand on what he has seen. I think Alien and Blade Runner are perfect examples in that department. The movies only flirt with a concept, we have to do the rest.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

This new film will not make the original go away.

True, and that's why ultimately I don't mind a sequel. I mostly look forward to see the work of Roger Deakins. That alone might be a reason for buying the Blu-ray.

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Oh, that I agree with. Like Nick1492 said, it's been copied to death already. Do something else!

Mate, you think I'm a sock, lay out your proof.

Otherwise, enough. You're embarrassing yourself.

9 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Mate, you think I'm a sock, lay out your proof.

Otherwise, enough. You're embarrassing yourself.

I don't think of you as a sock at all, Nick2049. Why would you say that? Also, why am I embarrassing myself?

2 minutes ago, Shatner's Rug said:

Is old Wrinkly directing this?

He looks good for his age. No, he's only producing the film.

14 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I don't think of you as a sock at all, Nick2049. Why would you say that? Also, why am I embarrassing myself?

Yes, you've done it several times, including here, and here yes several people have called you out on it, and yes you're embarrassing yourself.

I dunno. Is Quint someone you accused of being a sock and who demonstrated how absurd you're being?  

Even Jay has called you out on this, so don't play ignorant. It's just makes it all the more embarrassing.

5 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Even Jay has called you out on this, so don't play ignorant. It's just makes it all the more embarrassing.

I don't know who else, but yes, Jay said that I was rude to you. I really have no idea what you two are talking about. If we were to talk about Desplat, and if during our talk you were to call me Alexandre, I can guarantee you that I wouldn't be upset and say that you are an embarrassment for everyone. 

Yep, keep avoiding why it is you are so agitated. If calling you Nick2049 during a conversation about the sequel to Blade Runner makes you angry then it seems it is you who has a problem. Your reaction baffles me, that's all I can say. Again, I never thought of you as a sock. 

I like Hastings Nick and I'm sure he'll come to realize Alex has a penchant for silly name alterations that aren't anything personal.  I believe we can have peace at JWFan.  

Alright mate, we'll start with a clean slate, and I know now not to take what you write seriously. :)

Nick, who's never been anyone on this board but himself. ;)