Hlao-roo

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Please, let me just have one thread without the mention of Giacchino!

+1

Let's start again. So Vangelis basically said it can't be repeated. Has he read my signature?

Villeneuve on the usage of CGI:

"I can count on my fingers the amount of times we put a green screen on set. Most of the movie was done on camera, me and [cinematographer] Roger Deakins worked very hard to do it that way." 

"My actors were not walking on green screens all day long. CGI is a strong tool for backgrounds and extensions but what is around the actors needs to be as real as possible. When I watch a movie that’s mostly CGI, I’m disengaged,” he continued. 

This seems to be trend with certain name directors. Nolan, Abrams, George Miller, Spielberg of course. After more than a decade of over reliance on CGI film makers have been able to look back at film done not that long ago and see that they aged badly visually.

52 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Spielberg made the BFG last year...

That's a little different. Many directors have just been using CGI out of laziness on things that could have easily been done practically. However, there are still instances where you just have to use CGI and I feel like creating the BFG, for example, is easily one of those instances. 

3 hours ago, Thor said:

More great news! Green screen is a great tool, but only when used with intelligence and restraint.

Agreed. But I've read these sorts of encouraging "I'm serious about this!" statements of intent from directors before, so colour me cynical for now. Still, glass half full and all that; this man has shown great filmic integrity in the past. 

30 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

That's a little different. Many directors have just been using CGI out of laziness on things that could have easily been done practically. However, there are still instances where you just have to use CGI and I feel like creating the BFG, for example, is easily one of those instances. 

And the london streets?

Anyway the giant could have been a real person with make up. And the CGI be used to composite the human footage with the giant footage...

Are you gonna hang your whole argument on a single film? Spielberg is a director who uses all kinds of film technologies and tricks. And whatever he uses he usually uses very well. Now you can cite the few examples that you think don't work (I would go to KOCS before BFG) but those are exeptions.

I just wanted to say that unlike these new "young" filmakkers that seem to want to do everything like in the 80s Spielberg has tended to use more and more CGI even if he is (was?) the master of "balance" in sfx usage.