Hlao-roo

10 hours ago, Richard said:

5-disc Blu-ray?

Are you sure?

On R2, it's only available on DVD.

Richard, the 5disc Blu Ray set of Blade Runner was one of the first Blu Rays released, back in 2007

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UBMWG4

61UuM4DakzL.jpg

IIRC, it came out the same day as the HD-DVD release

55 minutes ago, Richard said:

I have the 5-disc on DVD. The Blu ray has a nice picture of an origami unicorn, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to double-dip.

The 5-Disc Blu-ray set is cheap or at least it used to be. Of course, if you have a small TV (32") then updating isn't really necessary. 

I never saw Out Of Africa, Richard. I switched it off when I heard "I had a farm if Africa". I just couldn't stomach Streep's accent. I also saw Star Wars and Alien in Ciné Rubens, which had a curved screen, BTW. Those were the times!

15 minutes ago, Richard said:

Curved screen. 70mm? 

Yes, it was the theatre where all the big spectacle films were shown: Lawrence Of Arabia, The Ten Commandments, ...

I knew that TFC was out, as a stand alone release, but, since I did not have a Blu ray player in 2007, I wasn't really looking for the 5-disc set.

I'm quite happy with my DVD tin box (although what I'm supposed to do with a film cel is anyone's guess).

You frame it, and hang it in your living room. It will be a talking point during parties, or when you bring that special lady to your home after a romantic dinner.

People will know you are a film enthusiast of exquisite refinement and taste.

• 3 weeks later...

Johann ... about the music:

http://lrmonline.com/news/exclusive-composer-johann-johannsson-on-the-music-of-blade-runner-2049

Tangelos? Hmm, I think I found my new artist name!! 

For those who don't like leaving this place:

Johann Johhannsson: “It’s very early on with Blade Runner. They’re still filming. I’m sending them stuff, and we’re still looking for the sound. It’s a slow process. It’s very early to talk, really, in any specific terms about Blade Runner, but obviously it’s a sequel to a very iconic, celebrated film that is very well loved. It’s a film that’s one of my favorites, to be honest. It’s one of my all-time favorite films, so it’s a huge challenge to take on. It feels like a responsibility in many ways, like a big responsibility to take on a project like this.” 

“It has to be music that exists in the world of Blade Runner, but it’s Blade Runner thirty years later. It’s not a remake, it’s a sequel, so a lot of time has passed and things have changed. I think that will be reflected in all elements of the score and the film. Obviously, Vangelis’ music played a huge part in creating that world, and Vangelis’ score to Blade Runner is one of my all-time favorites. It was a huge part of why that film is so strong, so yes, it’s something that I’m very aware of, but as I said, this is a sequel, not a remake, so we’re doing something that exists in the world but is new as well.” 

• 2 weeks later...

Holy! Dennis 'Skyfall' Gassner, probably the best production designer working today, is working on Blade Runner 2049! With Deakins and Gassner, this movie is going to look really something else!

http://variety.com/2016/film/festivals/production-designer-dennis-gassner-bond-coen-bros-blade-runner-2049-1201916140/

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh boy. Sounds like a Fury Road situation. They invest a lot of money in a sequel to a cult favorite that critics love but barely makes enough to break even if at all.

Yes, I don't think the demographic for this type of movie is large enough. It could do about $200 million worldwide though. 

• 1 month later...

Harrison Ford punched Ryan Gosling in the face

"Yeah, he did [punch me in the face]. It was kind of, you know, a rite of passage. We were just doing a fight scene and, you know, it just happened. But what was funny was, when it was over, they brought ice for my face, and Harrison pushed me out of the way and stuck his fist in the ice.” He laughs. “I asked him the other day where he got his sense of humor from—was it from his mother or his father? He said, ‘Sears.’ And he didn’t have much time to shop around so he just had to grab one and get out.”

“You know…he’s tough. He’s been an inspiration to everyone—everyone is doing push-ups now and taking an interest in their fitness. As soon as it happened, the director came up to me and said, ‘Look at it this way—you just got hit by Indiana Jones.’… He came by afterward with this bottle of scotch, and I thought, ‘Oh, I knew this was coming.’ And he pulled out a glass from his pocket, poured me a glass, and walked away with the rest of the bottle. So I guess he felt like he didn’t connect enough to earn a whole bottle.” He smiles. “You know, they say don’t meet your heroes, but I would say the addendum to that is ‘…unless they’re Harrison Ford.’ ‘Cause he’s a cool motherfucker.”

Harrison Ford is an old-school physical movie star.  Not a weirdly muscle-bound gym addict.  Just fit and tough.  No meathead sixpack or pecs or whatever.  Never been a fan of that trend with action stars.

Trailer Blade Runner 2049 coming out next week? Well, it is, according to Mike Sampson from Alamo Drafthouse:

https://trailer-track.com/2016/12/14/in-the-pipeline-first-blade-runner-2049-teaser-trailer-rated-and-coming-soon/

I must say, I'm really curious.

On 12/12/2016 at 11:42 PM, Disco Stu said:

Harrison Ford is an old-school physical movie star.  Not a weirdly muscle-bound gym addict.  Just fit and tough.  No meathead sixpack or pecs or whatever.  Never been a fan of that trend with action stars.

No maniacs in polyester slacks.

Just the facts.

Gonna kick some gluteus max!

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Trailer Blade Runner 2049 coming out next week? Well, it is, according to Mike Sampson from Alamo Drafthouse:

https://trailer-track.com/2016/12/14/in-the-pipeline-first-blade-runner-2049-teaser-trailer-rated-and-coming-soon/

I must say, I'm really curious.

Me too. And the ALIEN: COVENANT trailer is supposed to come out too, which I'm just as curious about (yeah, I know you're not, Alex). Should be a great trailer week! :)

Cool interview with Jóhannsson and Villeneuve: 

http://www.dga.org/Craft/DGAQ/All-Articles/1701-Winter-2017/Collaborators-Villeneuve-Johannsson.aspx

Blade Runner gets a mention:

DGA: The two of you have already started work on Blade Runner 2049. How is that going?

VILLENEUVE: As soon as I said yes to Blade Runner, I knew that Jóhann would be part of it. And I knew the studio would agree right away, because they really loved the music of Prisoners. We can't talk too much about Blade Runner, but it's the same process. He read the screenplay and came on the set. We are at the beginning of this process, where Jóhann is sending us insane, experimental, powerful tracks that blew our minds. 

JÓHANNSSON: Everyone working on this film is very aware of the legacy and power of the original. That film was pivotal and something that affected me very deeply. Vangelis [composer of the original Blade Runner score] has always been a huge influence on what I do: The way he uses space in his music; the way he uses reverberation; his use of very strong and simple phrases. The challenge is to create something that lives within the world of Blade Runner and is faithful to that world, but is still something new.

"The challenge is to create something that lives within the world of Blade Runner and is faithful to that world, but is still something new."

I hope that's going to be true for every aspect of the film. Most of all, I hope to see and feel 'ambition'.

Official synopsis:

Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner, LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling), unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what’s left of society into chaos. K’s discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former LAPD blade runner who has been missing for 30 years.