Hlao-roo

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Well, given the topic of our discussion, I thought it would be nice to sci-fi up your name a bit. There are playful messages in all of my posts but no one ever notices them. I thought today would be different, but alas, it isn't meant to be.

Ah, well yes I got the 1138 reference but a while back someone (can't remember if it was you) suggested I was a sock, so I wasn't sure if that was where you were going. If not, ✌ 

Anyway, one of the biggest Blade Runner fans is Guillermo Del Toro, and after watching Crimson Peak and its tendencies to German Expressionism, I beginning to think the project might have been given to the wrong guy? 

OTOH, look at this short Villeneuve movie:

Alex

Because he's about something else -- the burlesque, the gothic, the excess. Even when he's doing "low fi" stuff like THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE. That's one of the reasons why I love his work, but BLADE RUNNER requires a whole other level of restraint and 'grounded-ness'. I think if Villeneuve wasn't doing it, my choice would have been Alex Garland.

Hmm, you really think Blade Runner is that restraint and without Gothic, Thor? I mean, at one point Ridley Scott wanted to call his film Gotham City (no joke). Del Toro loves to build dense worlds while the movies of Villeneuve are stripped down to a minimum with lots of empty spaces.

Alex

16 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Hmm, you really think Blade Runner is that restraint and without Gothic, Thor? I mean, at one point Ridley Scott wanted to call his film Gotham City (no joke). Del Toro loves to build dense worlds while the movies of Villeneuve are stripped down to a minimum with lots of empty spaces.

Alex

Parts of Blade Runner actually seem quite gothic to me. The massive Tyrell building. But also the desolate appartment building the finale is set in.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Alex

BLADE RUNNER, visually, is retrofitted -- which means that, say, gothic element in the architecture constantly collide with more futuristic material or even old-fashioned material like wagons. It's not just "Gotham"-like, it's so much more. So I think a Del Toro approach would take this way too far into its own secluded world. The essential naturalism, realism and humanity would be downplayed. It's pure speculation, of course (like all of this is), but it's a reasonable guess based on his earlier work. I don't want BLADE RUNNER to look like PACIFIC RIM.

Other directors I would have loved to see in this universe (outside Scott himself, Garland and Villeneuve) include Alfonso Cuaron, Duncan Jones, James Cameron. Maybe Alex Proyas back when he was good (not today). Directors like Del Toro, Gilliam etc. could no doubt handle the dystopian element, but would push it too far to the quirky or burlesque.

That's a pretty insightful comment Thor.

And I'd actually love to see Cameron's take on that world.  And before anyone says he's unsuited to it, I imagine if we had the internets in 1986 people would have said the same about him directing Aliens. It's like Peter Jackson directing LOTR...it only looks like a genius move in retrospect.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

BLADE RUNNER, visually, is retrofitted -- which means that, say, gothic element in the architecture constantly collide with more futuristic material or even old-fashioned material like wagons. It's not just "Gotham"-like, it's so much more.

And you really think Del Toro is not aware of this? My point is that you said it would be Gothic while Blade Runner and Alien are Gothic or Punk-Gothic as well. Now, how about the empty, sparse, minimal, non-Gothic look of Villeneuve? How do you connect that to Blade Runner? I still don't understand why he is an obvious choice to you and Del Toro is not. Personally, I don't agree with any of your picks (Cameron, Duncan Jones, Cuaron). In my view, Del Toro is the only director mentioned here who shares Ridley's love for German Expressionism and Gothic.

6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

In my view, Del Toro is the only director mentioned here who shares Ridley's love for German Expressionism and Gothic.

Which is exactly why he's the wrong person to do it.  Anyone trying to recreate Scott's aesthetic is going to look like a poor imitator. Cameron knew this when he made Aliens.

I don't want Blade Runner to look like Warcraft;)

5 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Which is exactly why he's the wrong person to do it.  Anyone trying to recreate Scott's aesthetic is going to look like a poor imitator. Cameron knew this when he made Aliens.

True, Del Toro would imitate the hell out of it, but going by some of the artwork of Blade Runner 2, Villeneuve is going to imitate it as well (which actually took me by surprise). If the story takes place 40 years later, why not create a word that looks all different again?

9 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

True, Del Toro would imitate the hell out of it, but going by some of the artwork of Blade Runner 2, Villeneuve is going to imitate it as well (which actually took me by surprise). 

Which goes back to part of the reason I said it's going to suck.

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Del Toro loves to build dense worlds while the movies of Villeneuve are stripped down to a minimum with lots of empty spaces.

Alex

Perhaps, though he hasn't really done projects to show that he in incapable of creating dense worlds. What makes Villeneuve an ideal candidate in this case is his knack for building atmosphere and tension. Probably one of the most effective mood-setters currently working in the industry.

Anyways, for the reasons listed above, I never had much hope for this film, but Villeneuve is the only point of interest for me here.

6 minutes ago, KK said:

Anyways, for the reasons listed above, I never had much hope for this film, but Villeneuve is the only point of interest for me here.

And not Jo John Jonas Johann Johanssonson?

I might be being to harsh on it by saying it will suck, but I'm not just expecting great things for the reasons I've outlined. As a huge fan of the original, I hope to be proven wrong.

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

And not Jo John Jonas Johann Johanssonson?

Him too! We like our Icelandic brothers!

4 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I might be being to harsh on it by saying it will suck, but I'm not just expecting great things for the reasons I've outlined. As a huge fan of the original, I hope to be proven wrong.

No, you actually outline good points! I'm just cautiously optimistic with Villeneuve at the helm.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

And you really think Del Toro is not aware of this? My point is that you said it would be Gothic while Blade Runner and Alien are Gothic or Punk-Gothic as well. Now, how about the empty, sparse, minimal, non-Gothic look of Villeneuve? How do you connect that to Blade Runner? I still don't understand why he is an obvious choice to you and Del Toro is not. Personally, I don't agree with any of your picks (Cameron, Duncan Jones, Cuaron). In my view, Del Toro is the only director mentioned here who shares Ridley's love for German Expressionism and Gothic.

Villeneuve is a more realist-oriented director, and while BR requires a strong visual stamp (which Villeneuve also has), it's not a mythological fantasy -- which is what Del Toro is most concerned with. Nor can it be reduced to 'gothic' or 'German expressionism'. We have to make these speculative judgements based on the director's previous films, stylistic traits and thematic ideas, and there is nothing whatsoever in his films that suggest to me he would be an appropriate pick for this -- even if he may have expressed his love of the original (who hasn't?).

But we just have to agree to disagree on this. It's rather pointless, anyway, since a director has been picked and we'll have to wait another year to see how it turns out.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Villeneuve is a more realist-oriented director, and while BR requires a strong visual stamp, it's not a mythological fantasy -- which is what Del Toro is most concerned with. We have to make these speculative judgements based on the director's previous films, stylistic traits and thematic ideas, and there is nothing whatsoever in his films that suggest to me he would be an appropriate pick for this -- even if he may have expressed his love of the original (who hasn't?).

While I do think there's plenty of religious mythological symbolism in Blade Runner, I agree that it's not an outright Fantasy movie. In fact, if the story for the second movie contains no Fantasy creatures (unicorn anyone? ;)) and if it is written as a gritty bleak sci-fi flick, then I see no reason why Del Toro would turn it into a Fantasy tale with witches and ghosts. Don't forget, it's one of Guillermo's favorite movies so I think he knows the difference.

On 10/2/2016 at 2:32 AM, Alexcremers said:

Indeed! Prometheus is sci-fi and 1492 is period flick. Both are movies with very mixed results. 

Fuck 1492. I was referring to The Duellists, Gladiator, and Kingdom of Heaven (director's cut). Prometheus is to Ridley Scott as The Happening was to M. Night Shyamalan.

Regarding Soderbergh, I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciated Che.

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Del Toro is wrong for Blade Runner, but all this talk is making me wish we really would have been able to see his Hobbit.

Oh yes, most definitely. I'm one of the few who like Jackson's first two films in the series (although the third is terrible), but I think a Del Toro HOBBIT would have lifted those films up and beyond what they eventually became.

1 hour ago, Corellian2019 said:

Regarding Soderbergh, I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciated Che.

Saw the two-parter in an art house theater when it was released.  Was a great experience.  First part is superior, and drags a bit during the second part, but overall solid exercise in epic filmmaking.

Horrific thought of the day:

Imagine that Jared Leto demands that the movie features a song from Thirty Seconds To Mars! Double RIP, Blade Runner 2!

Steven Spielberg once did an episode of THE NAME OF THE GAME called "LA 2017", with music by his then-regular composer Billy Goldenberg. And it's a pretty cool episode too. The new BR title reminded me of that.