Hlao-roo

Time to come clean, I didn't feel anything when I watched the trailer. And to be honest, I don't think I'm alone in this.

OK, I finally watched the trailer.

Well, I ended up liking it way more than I was expecting too.  I thought it was a very good trailer, great visuals on display here and a great cast.  The world and its inhabitants look really fleshed out and realized, and there were no poor-looking special effects.

I don't hold Blade Runner up on some crazy high pedestral, it wasn't an "important" movie in my development as a cinephile.. I like it just fine, its great, but nothing I watch repeatedly like some of my other favorites.  So I don't really care if this sequel tarnishes its legacy or not, I just hope its good on its own terms.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

OK, I finally watched the trailer.

Well, I ended up liking it way more than I was expecting too.  I thought it was a very good trailer, great visuals on display here and a great cast.  The world and its inhabitants look really fleshed out and realized, and there were no poor-looking special effects.

I don't hold Blade Runner up on some crazy high pedestral, it wasn't an "important" movie in my development as a cinephile.. I like it just fine, its great, but nothing I watch repeatedly like some of my other favorites.  So I don't really care if this sequel tarnishes its legacy or not, I just hope its good on its own terms.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel.  I am not a reverent Blade Runner fan, just someone who enjoyed it and doesn't mind seeing another take on the world, as long as it is competent and nuanced, and I think we'll be getting that.  In the same spirit, as much as I love Vangelis and his score for the original, if everything else is different, the music can be different too - although I was hoping JJ would go purely electronic and I believe he isn't.

1 hour ago, Selina Kyle said:

You mean Giacchino isn't doing this? He's our best and only composer...

tumblr_me7opuhXjB1qg39ewo1_500.gif

He was the last, best hope for the film. He wanted to save it. He was desperate to save it!

He came in peace...and Vilneuve blatantly defied that peace!

If Giacchino, Zimmer and Johannsson are the only three options, I would go for Johannsson. Based on his work for Arrival, he doesn't sound like he's strapped in a Hollywood straitjacket yet. I thought Scott's Blade Runner had a very original atmosphere (a soaky melancholic film noir score that had a strong Vangelis signature) so naturally I don't won't to hear a conventional movie score or a typical film music composer for 2049.

Alex

19 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

God, can you imagine Giacchino on this?  I'd sooner shit in my hat, pull it down over my ears, and listen to that!

I can imagine - it'll be great.

29 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

How? Have you even seen the movie? 

No. Johannsson is scoring it. Nothing wrong with that choice, however it was merely a response to the dogmatic dislike of Giacchino around here.

I don't agree about Zimmer being a good choice for this. I say this as someone who enjoys Zimmer. 

I haven't seen The Arival and am not familiar with Johannsson's work. I was really hoping they'd get Vangelis to do it. Like him or not he IS Blade Runner.

18 minutes ago, Indianagirl said:

I was really hoping they'd get Vangelis to do it. Like him or not he IS Blade Runner.

Well, I hear you, but it's a bit like saying only Ridley Scott should touch a Blade Runner sequel. I actually would agree with that if this was 1982 but now we're in 2017, and Scott's almost 80 years old, I think he lost his edge. The same goes for Vangelis. I don't wanna see a Blade Runner movie that is handled in the same way as Prometheus or that Egypt movie.

Scott alludes to a certain cynism on  his part towards modern-day audiences (in his interviews of recent years). I say a good miniseries would be his best choice then (as they allow for a far higher level of sophistication). As far as of now, all i have seen on the tube bearing the 'Scott' name was exactly as superficial as his movies. I guess the writers and naysayers were stronger in his early years. What he does mirrors the lack of this opposition (weak scripts, premium on visual content). Which must not be bad but 'Prometheus' was a good indication that the strong visualist needs a good writer to keep things in check.

Actually I would prefer Ridley to personaly direct Blade Runner. I don't like 2017. Perhaps Ridley has lost his edge a little bit...Prometheus was good until it fell apart in the last thirty or so minutes of the film. I didn't care for his Moses film at all and it felt to me like the studio stepped in and forced him to leave most of the movie on the cutting room floor like Kingdom of Heaven. Although I've never heard anything to validate that. 

I agree with the Grey Pilgrim and Jay that if this version of Blade Runner is bad it won't break my heart because I'm not overly emotionally invested. However, as someone who does genuinely like the original...I see a lot of red flags popping up on this new one. Including Harrison Ford's wardrobe. 

So I guess what I'm saying is that If Ridley and Vangelis have lost their edge.....maybe Blade Runner should have been kept a nice memory of the 80's? 

Time will tell. 

3 hours ago, Indianagirl said:

I agree with the Grey Pilgrim and Jay that if this version of Blade Runner is bad it won't break my heart because I'm not overly emotionally invested. However, as someone who does genuinely like the original...I see a lot of red flags popping up on this new one. Including Harrison Ford's wardrobe. 

Absolutely right about the red flags. Villeneuve's version of Blade Runner also seems to look very clean. One of the things I liked about the film of 1982 is how everything and everyone (!)  seems to be decaying or deteriorating.

Maybe Denis is another one of these very clean, crisp, but slightly sterile film makerd. Like Nolan

I have faith in the DP though. Visual beauty doesn't always lie in individual shots. It's a language. A single shot is just a single word 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Absolutely right about the red flags. Villeneuve's version of Blade Runner also seems to look very clean. One of the things I liked about the film of 1982 is how everything and everyone (!)  seems to be decaying or deteriorating.

I think you're spot on concerning the clean look.

There are some impressive visuals in this trailer and there are some visuals that look bland to me. I do hope it's a worthy sequel to Blade Runner. I really do. I'm just not convinced it will be. 

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Maybe Denis is another one of these very clean, crisp, but slightly sterile film makerd. Like Nolan

I have faith in the DP though. Visual beauty doesn't always lie in individual shots. It's a language. A single shot is just a single word 

I'm wondering Steef, would you call Kubrick clean and crisp but slightly sterile?  If not, which of his films would you point to as being unsterile in their appearance?

With Kubrick there was a lucid intellect behind the dispassionate lens. With the unholy trinity of Mann, Fincher and Nolan, you'll only find witless lugubriousness passing for depth.

Renounce your false prophet!

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I wasn't talking about the photography but about the production design and how it appears to do away with Scott's old decaying retrofitted future.

Of course, it could be the trailer.

Scott's new Alien movies also look very clean compared to the first movie.

6 hours ago, Sharky said:

With Kubrick there was a lucid intellect behind the dispassionate lens. With the unholy trinity of Mann, Fincher and Nolan, you'll only find witless lugubriousness passing for depth.

Renounce your false prophet!

I agree to a point, Sharky. Fincher has lost his "apocalyptic" edge, and Nolan is a third-rate director making films for a second-rate audience (I'm sorry, but I don't know who Mann is).

Whilst there was a "lucid intellect", Kubrick's lens was far from "dispassionate". There is passion, compassion, and great humour in his work. One simply has to know where to look.

I think Kubrick was at times dispassionate, and at others warmer, and certainly humorous in an often subtle way.  Whatever his many often ineffable qualities were, those are what I look for in other directors.

Of Fincher, Mann, and Nolan, Nolan is the only one that I feel carries on something of what Kubrick had.  Appreciation for him will only wax as the years go by, as will his assuredness as a director.  I will not deny a lack of weight on the part of Fincher and Mann, however - the only real works of theirs I find appreciable being Heat and Gone Girl.  Must also cite Refn as an utter poser in this respect.  The most obvious successor to Kubrick and his ilk, though, is Malick.

What does this have to do with Blade Runner?  I'm not sure.  Villeneuve seems to me to be, like Nolan, another promising Kubrick descendent in his own way.  Moreso than he seems to embody anything of Scott's early sensibilities, at least, which is what I was getting at with my initial question to Steef.  Kubrick was never sterile, but his worlds were not the gritty, lived in sort of thing that Scott went for, though this in no way compromised their believability or immersiveness.  Perhaps this is why the look and feel of this new film appeals to me more than the original ever did, and why Alex is made uneasy.  After all, you're either a Blade Runner person, or a 2001 person, when it comes down to it....  

I don't know if I'd call Malick a successor to Kubrick....But I do understand why you'd say that. I really do. 

I like most of Fincher's films, a couple of  Mann's films, and 90% of Nolan's films.....but I don't see how any of them are comparible to Kubrick. I just don't see it. But that's little ole me. 

For me Stanley Kubrick was in a class all to himself. 

7 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I will not deny a lack of weight on the part of Fincher and Mann, however - the only real works of theirs I find appreciable being Heat and Gone Girl.  

Really? I like at least three movies of each. 

I hate the way Mann shoots his films. His crutch on poor digital photography makes the digital noise unbearable. The nighttime shootout in Public Enemies should be shown in film school as a what not to do.

I always found Heat overrated but I picked up the new transfer to give it another shot. 

Love Collateral.

The less said about Miami Vice the better. 

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

I hate the way Mann shoots his films. His crutch on poor digital photography makes the digital noise unbearable. The nighttime shootout in Public Enemies should be shown in film school as a what not to do.

I couldn't agree more about Public Enemies. I know the shots you're talking about and they look camcorderish. Very VIDEO.

I, however, will always have a soft place in my heart for Last of the Mohicans.

I forgot he did that one. Good film. 

5 hours ago, Indianagirl said:

I don't know if I'd call Malick a successor to Kubrick....But I do understand why you'd say that. I really do. 

I like most of Fincher's films, a couple of  Mann's films, and 90% of Nolan's films.....but I don't see how any of them are comparible to Kubrick. I just don't see it. But that's little ole me. 

For me Stanley Kubrick was in a class all to himself. 

Malick is the spotlight here but it has Fincher and Nolan briefly discussing his work and even a mention of Kubrick.

'Thief', too. He did a rather foul one i saw on Prime recently ('Blackhat', i think) but generally - since i do not hold Kubrick on that high a pedestal - neither Fincher nor Mann are slouches in the directorial department. Nolan has been hit and miss with me, i rather wouldn't see some of his movies again than, say, 'Last of the Mohicans' or the Gyllenhaal serial killer pic.

The featurette mentions that like Kubrick and Hitchcock, Malick's work has an inseprable relationship between the image and the story he's telling. But that could said of a other directors work as well. Like I said earlier...I get the comparison The Grey Pilgrim made. I really do. I just see Malick as something else. Almost like a cinematic poet. He is very much his own entity. 

7 minutes ago, publicist said:

i do not hold Kubrick on that high a pedestal 

You always have interesting comments. I'm just curious who (cinematically) do you hold on a high pedestal?