Hlao-roo

7 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

No love for Memento or The Prestige?

Sure. I said some of them (which includes all three Batman movies).

3 minutes ago, Indianagirl said:

You always have interesting comments. I'm just curious who (cinematically) do you hold on a high pedestal?

Thanks. I have a long list (that includes Kubrick, too) but it's wholly idiosyncratic, movie-enjoyment based. Spielberg, Bresson, Wilder, Wyler, Renoir, Kurosawa (all the 'safe' choices) but to tell you the truth, it also includes a lot of guys that just did movies i like (which might be an obscure early Depardieu movie or some cheap italian prison-women exploiter) or which left an impression. That would even include wayward stuff like 'The Secret of NIMH' which i saw at an early age and the imagery was forever etched in my memory so that i actually became interested in impressionist painting inspired by that (this has to count for something).

Some of the movies (read: directors) that i should like i find supremely boring (say, '2001', Malick etc.) even if it's not the kind of boring that befalls Drax when he's watching good movies. There are few i find worthy of the kind of inspection, i just swallowed a lot when i was younger and now tend to be choosy.

I saw a nice one recently called 'Captain Fantastic' which will not go down in the annals of cinema but it gave me some pleasure and that's enough. The latest Malick, in contrast, only means hard work (to stay with it) and that's something i intensely dislike when i watch movies.

Captain Fantastic was great.

I hesitate to ever compare anyone to Kubrick, because it seems like such a hipster, armchair film critic thing to do, but since I was probably 7 he's been the gold standard in directing for me so I can't help looking for his spirit elsewhere.  If I say that Nolan or Malick or whoever is something of a successor to him in my mind, it isn't necessarily or even likely due to any big stylistic similarities, rather just their skill and willingness to utilize the cinematic medium to its fullest extent, doing things that you can only do with a movie, rather than just filming stage dramas, which to this day is all that many directors do.  I appreciate the directors who push the art form and utilize it to its fullest extent and contribute to its evolution more than I do any others.  Much in the same way that I am interested most in the composers who elevate film music beyond its origins as opera sans singing, and ballet sans dancing.

In music i am much more interested in that than in movies. Tragically it has been relegated to the sideline since the 2000's, one reason being that most modern filmmakers seem incapable of enjoying music taking over (if not in a diegetic, pop music numbers revue way). I've been enjoying movies like 'There Will Be Blood' etc. with their sophisticated use of music but i wouldn't complain about the next Mummy (Tyler...well) being a great. Chances are nil, sadly.

8 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I hesitate to ever compare anyone to Kubrick, because it seems like such a hipster, armchair film critic thing to do, but since I was probably 7 he's been the gold standard in directing for me so I can't help looking for his spirit elsewhere.  If I say that Nolan or Malick or whoever is something of a successor to him in my mind, it isn't necessarily or even likely due to any big stylistic similarities, rather just their skill and willingness to utilize the cinematic medium to its fullest extent, doing things that you can only do with a movie, rather than just filming stage dramas, which to this day is all that many directors do.  I appreciate the directors who push the art form and utilize it to its fullest extent and contribute to its evolution more than I do any others.  Much in the same way that I am interested most in the composers who elevate film music beyond its origins as opera sans singing, and ballet sans dancing.

Well said and I agree wholeheartedly.

10 hours ago, publicist said:

I saw a nice one recently called 'Captain Fantastic' which will not go down in the annals of cinema but it gave me some pleasure and that's enough. The latest Malick, in contrast, only means hard work (to stay with it) and that's something i intensely dislike when i watch movies.

Interesting confession, pubs. 

11 hours ago, publicist said:

Sure, because there's a time and a place for everything. It takes a real dull person to only ever want to watch material which "challenges" them all the time. 

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

Sure, because there's a time and a place for everything. It takes a real dull person to only ever want to watch material which "challenges" them all the time. 

It's why I can simultaneously enjoy Malick and Bay!

But why? Maybe watching movies is a necessity in less populated areas for the lack of social contact but why on earth would anyone watch movies just because? There are so many great things to do before squandering 2 hours of life span on 'Transformers 5'.

I know but that doesn't explain the huge amount of compulsive shit watchers found on the www (30-50 year olds need to see every blockbuster of any given year most of them geared towards 12 year olds??). I find rewatching Star Wars sixty times also indicative of some mental disorder but wouldn't want to offend Selina.

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

I find rewatching Star Wars sixty times also indicative of some mental disorder but wouldn't want to offend Selina.

I wouldn't worry about it, he's the first person to admit he has one. 

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And watching Jaws 50 times? Listening to  E.T. 200 times?

First: No, second: in bits and pieces, yes.

OK, 2 times a year isn't suspicious (i wouldn't though). Movies are a different ballgame anyway. Sitting down to watch a movie requires much more time and attention than to listen to a soundtrack album while biking or driving your car.

5 minutes ago, publicist said:

'Evil Dead 2' is a rather annoying movie.

Army of Darkness is so enjoyable to me, though. I can watch it almost any place any time.

Holland is very close, then. Also - that is something Jay obviously cannot process - do other guys have to change their ways because i find their habits strange? 

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

Hey man, I've got five kids to feed. 

With 80's movies?

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Hey man, I've got five kids to feed. 

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

With 80's movies?

Quint was quoting Total Recall.

Image result for hey man i've got five kids to feed

• 4 weeks later...

Villeneuve says he made peace with the prospect of failure.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/blade-runner-2049-director-says-he-made-peace-prospect-failure-1015019

He probably thought: "What was I thinking! Why did I do it?! I could have been somebody! I could have been a contender!"

Gerelateerde afbeelding

Hee, hee, hee. Wait 'till he gets to the Denver/Dallas previews.

In all fairness, I'm sure that most if not all, directors (or, indeed, anyone involved in creating anything) go through this.

I seem to remember that 20th Century Fox had strong reservations about their "support" film for THE OTHER SIDE OF MIDNIGHT. They needn't have worried...

Besides, not every film is destined to make money, but that doesn't mean that BR2049 will be bad. If box office = greatness, then FATE OF THE FURIOUS is a better film than 2001, BEN-HUR, and THERE WILL BE BLOOD combined (!).

58 minutes ago, Richard said:

Hee, hee, hee. Wait 'till he gets to the Denver/Dallas previews.

I

Hehehehee, I know what you're referring too.