"Fighting the Guards"

BLUMENKOHL

I know, there will be the one person who will no doubt complain, "A THREAD ABOUT ONE TRACK?! WHATTT!!!" Well be damned! There's too many package threads and not enough dedicated to one simple single thing.

Anyways, for the last 12 years...(wait has it really been 12 years since TPM?!) I've managed to sort of miss out on this track. I've listened to it countless times. iTunes play count can attest to that. But I've never really given it much thought. It's just kind of been one of the underscore tracks if you will in my stupid ears.

Until tonight, where I realized I'd somehow accidentally dragged into my Star Wars playlist, and god knows how long it's been sitting there. Well it finally caught my attention through its pristine sound quality relative to the original Star Wars recording. But something else caught my attention:

Excluding the last 30 seconds and the superior recording quality, this track would feel right at home in the original Star Wars soundtrack. We often praise Star Wars for being one of the most unique in tone/atmosphere scores John Williams has written. We cry that he never again attained that sound.

And yet....there it sits "Fighting the Guards." Harsh strings, playful but subdued, menacing timpani, the familiar twinkling harps of Star Wars, the elegant orchestrations without the overdone quality, low hits of the trombones paired with the timpani. Aggressive without ever being fatiguing.

It's the maestro channeling 1977.

Upgraded in iTunes star ratings from 3.5 stars to 5!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the maestro channeling 1977.

For me it has more in common with ROTJ.

Regarding your example though, you'll get the usual about how this must be the case because it's the only prequel score Williams put any heart into :shakehead:

It's just kind of been one of the underscore tracks if you will in my stupid ears.

As far as I'm concerned you need to explore and pay more attention to AOTC and then ROTS to find more in common with the orginal SW, find a good fan edit if possible.

Now if you're talking about the U.E. version of the cue, then shudder... The full unedited version of the cue is a lot better in terms of listening experience.

Well it has a certain old fashioned SW edge to it during the suspence writing. Almost needless to say that I like it both for the subtle tension raising orchestrations and for the swashbuckling ending, Williams doing a bit of rambunctious Korngoldian sword swinging with the orchestra. Good of you to remind me of this track and the whole score. I have recently been taking a bit of a break from SW because of over saturation.

Is this that short orchestral flourish which sounds like it was lifted straight out of a distinctly classical repertoire of a hundred years ago and absolutely nothing like movie music, let alone Star Wars music, at all? Korngold indeed.

It's always been excellent and worthy of five stars, Blum.

I've never been overly fond of the big brassy part in the second half (now it sounds nearly like a precursor to Indy 4), but what comes before that is fine. Sounds very much like TPM Williams to me, though. Of course, the track as a whole is overshadowed by being followed by the absolutely amazing Escape from Naboo.

the track as a whole is overshadowed by being followed by the absolutely amazing Escape from Naboo.

Certainly the best bit of action music from the Prequels.

No doubts.

the track as a whole is overshadowed by being followed by the absolutely amazing Escape from Naboo.

Certainly the best bit of action music from the Prequels.

I agree. But I have a soft spot for the Greivous action material from ROTS as well.

Believe it or not, those few minutes sound like vintage Williams.

Yeah, that's what you said about "Anderton's Great Escape." No, I don't believe it; it's Williams at his most fungible and the kind of reactive orchestral noodling that has characterized the action scoring of his later period.

Jango's Escape and Anderton's Great Escape are VERY modern Williams to me

Into The Trap, now that's classic Williams

To me, while they have a some modern writing, the core sounds like vintage Williams.

Stuff like the two General GrIevous cues from ROTS are modern Williams.

By the way, I also love "Fighting the Destroyer Droids."

Very brief (and barely audible in the movie), but this one kicks ass too. Vintage JW.

By the way, I also love "Fighting the Destroyer Droids."

Very brief (and barely audible in the movie), but this one kicks ass too. Vintage JW.

I love that track! :thumbup: When i wasn't into film music yet i always played the game "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" and i always liked the music that played in the first level, which was Droid Fight (Fighting the Destroyer Droids). Actually the SW-games got me into JW's music.