What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

It's strange to see the Pink Panther series paid so much attention - they're almost entirely considered substandard relics of cinema here, in England, hardly worth the modern appraisal. It's sort of like someone going all-out to catch up on the Carry On films.

Me too. I was going crazy over it!

Well, it can probably be regarded as "fun" because it does have fun parts.

But it's reeaaally clunky. The whole thing is sustained by a list of "because then there'd be no film anymore!" (as a nerd of space habitats and spaceships I find several faults in Elysium's design that fit there). Jodie Foster "plays" a character that's completely off. There's a pseudo-mesianic angle at some point that's completely WTF

Sharlto Copley is cool in it. I had to switch back and forth to a dubbed version at some point because I didn't understand anything he was saying. Wagner Moura is also good in it, I enjoyed his character. Alice Braga had a boring role. William Fichtner could have been anybody else.

So far I've only seen a few 2013 films, mostly blockbusters. I'm totally disappointed in general except for The Lone Ranger, where I was surprised. I want to see the Ghiblis, Gravity and a bunch of smaller stuff that please be good. Ah and Pacific Rim, I forgot.

I'm also thinking that I would like to see more women in these big Hollywood films, or with a greater variety of roles. The Lone Ranger had a female role that could have almost cut out and another damsel in distress one. I'm looking forward to Gravity.

Pacific Rim was loads better than Elysium.

Yea Jodie Foster was miscast, Joey and I talked about it earlier in the thread.

There's a concept for that, a Bishop Ring. It can theoretically exist, but for that the station would have to dwarf Elysium and have around 200 km tall side walls. A truly epic ringworld, where the physical forces would keep the atmosphere there like in a sort of reverse planet.(*) To build that, you need to develop new materials that are currently in their infancy.

For something the size of Elysium, it would have to spin at stupid speeds, have much much taller walls, and/or (apparently) have an atmospherical temperature near absolute zero, or... It's much simpler for it to simply be a closed torus, which offers greater protection against radiation and micrometeorites. Besides, I'm not sure a kilometer tall atmosphere can make the sky look blue like in the film but I have no idea how to calculate that.

Other problems: Elysium is in serious need of a system of mirrors to have sunlight.

(*) Remember Prometheus? I always thought it would have been much cooler if they detected/photographed some massive alien structure shape passing in front of a distant sun, instead of paintings in caves. Like a massive ring shape in front of a star, or something, basically shouting "come here to investigate".

Are you saying I didn't see the trailer? Because that's what I'm referring too. The trailer was a warning and nothing to get crazy about.

MOS is out on Blu-ray in November.

I prefer Elysium to MoS, quite frankly.

I don't see what was supposedly so bad about the Elysium trailers. A lot of the set and designs it showed looked good and in fact the film is quite good in that department, save for what we can see of the habitable surface of Elysium which is a bit monotonous/dull to my taste. All those gardens and swimming pools...

Of course, but I say fool because you've been reinterpreting several things we've said about MoS as the indication that it must be great and, um, well...

I also liked the trailer for that one. It was hard to be as curious because it's a Superman film, but still.

Me too. I was going crazy over it!

Well, it can probably be regarded as "fun" because it does have fun parts.

But it's reeaaally clunky. The whole thing is sustained by a list of "because then there'd be no film anymore!" (as a nerd of space habitats and spaceships I find several faults in Elysium's design that fit there). Jodie Foster "plays" a character that's completely off. There's a pseudo-mesianic angle at some point that's completely WTF

Sharlto Copley is cool in it. I had to switch back and forth to a dubbed version at some point because I didn't understand anything he was saying. Wagner Moura is also good in it, I enjoyed his character. Alice Braga had a boring role. William Fichtner could have been anybody else.

So far I've only seen a few 2013 films, mostly blockbusters. I'm totally disappointed in general except for The Lone Ranger, where I was surprised.

Hmm, this bodes quite well for Elysium and I. Looking forward to it!

Gravity and Desolation of Smaug are my only "will absolutely see in the theater no matter what" films left this year

Mine are Gravity and the Ghibli ones. But I probably won't be able to see Kaze Tachinu and Kaguya Hime no Monotagari at the cinema anyway.

Oh right I forgot about the Miyazaki. After seeing Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle in the theater I was sure I'd see all his films in the theater if he made any more, but somehow Ponyo came and went without me being aware it was playing near me (maybe it never did)

I'll have to make the effort to see if The Wind Rises plays here.

I've never seen a non-Miyazaki Ghibli film.

Gravity and Desolation of Smaug are my only "will absolutely see in the theater no matter what" films left this year

Oh come on, we know you'll watch AND love everything that will be released this year!

I'm not.

The thing with these sorts of movies though is they MUSTN'T be watched alone.

The Worlds End.

Kind of disappointed. It's a passable comedy but not that clever

It's not being clever wouldn't be any reason to put me off. Airplane and the Naked Gun were just very, very silly.

Well, I quite enjoyed Superbad and absolutely LOVED Pineapple Express, so for me it's pretty much ideal.

It was also just really novel to see Emmerich style human extinction with an all-out comedy funny bone running right smack bang through the middle of it all.

American Pie, The Hangover, all did bugger all for me. But those Judd Apatow guys tickle me. Also laughed at The Other Guys and enjoy the initial Farrelly brothers comedies.

Oh come on, we know you'll watch AND love everything that will be released this year!

Why would you say that? You know I hated Iron Man 3

Bah! After so many years of faithful devotion to our green and pleasant lands! To be denounced like that by someone who won't even watch modern BBC drama without an air of disdain!

You are no true Englander, Sir!