What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Shane (1953)

Ok, it's a great movie but it's one of those films that i don't understand why it's in AFI's 100 best movies ever.

I mean, i don't find what is the difference with other great films of the specific genre.

The Lone Ranger (2013)

I could do with trimming a pair of things like the CGI bunnies but overall I thought it was a quite entertaining film. It (obviously) feels a lot like Rango and the PotC films, which is for the best for a lot of the running time but not always. It could have gone a bit further, but it can win you over with the weird and awesome stuff in it if you let it.

Bonham-Carter is barely there btw

I shall remember Tonto on the ladder.

No doubt because of the awesome musical accompaniment for it? And people say Zimmer doesn't synch with the film!

The music fits the scene to perfection and it's a fun simplified variation born out of the William Tell part but in the Zimmer mold. I wonder if Zimmer or Zanelli wrote that.

Good Morning Vietnam (1987)

2nd time I saw it.

It's a very good movie (love films with a Vietnam setting), a role that only Williams could play, although I feel something is missing. I don't know, more drama?

Watched the opening 30mins of This is the End with a couple of pals at my house, late. You know that perfect group/environment thing that happens when a decent comedy is on tv - and how every single humorous moment becomes amplified x10,000?

The intro to that movie is undoubtedly the funniest thing I've seen in years. My head nearly exploded we were laughing that much.

We decided to hold off watching it all (for boring parental reasons) and have agreed to wait till the next time. It'll be a pleasure.

"Rihanna...!"

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

Even though some fans and cynics decry the final movie split as a cash grab (and it is)... I appreciate it as the filmmakers have time to tell the story properly. Even though the omissions in the previous films have David Yates and Steve Kloves scrambling to include them in this film and in Part 2, the film is primarily character-driven for a change. Stripping the trio from the safety of the school alters the framework for the better, even if it is one half of a complete story. Eduardo Serra's cinematography is excellent, if marred by occasional handheld shots (like the Snatchers pursuit in the woods), and Alexandre Desplat's score adds emotional depth. Ideally, both this film and Part 2 should be seen consecutively.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Even though this film is all action and no exposition, the way it's directed and edited... it feels like a complete movie. The action is plentiful, especially the money shots of Hogwarts under siege, but the film doesn't lose its heart. Daniel Radcliffe and Alan Rickman offer up devastating and heartbreaking performances, and the final scene is a wonderful capper to the whole series.

The major gripe: I did not like the epilogue in the book, and the film version doesn't endear me to it. It should've been cut entirely, and I always skip it.

The Karate Kid, part III

This series gets sillier with each part, so bear with me here.

John Kreese, the evil sensei from the first picture has decided he wants to exact revenge on Daniel and Miyagi for humiliating him in the tournament from the first film (or rather, after the tournament, as seen in the opening scenes of Part II). While Daniel and Miyagi were off on their rediculous Japanese adventure (see the aforementioned The Karate Kid, part II), Kreese has somehow lost his business and has hit rock bottom. Not really sure how and why. He just has, so let's move on. Anyway, he asks the help of his old friend Terry Silver, who was also part of Cobra Kai at some point and is very good at karate. Terry Silver is played by Thomas Ian Griffith, who for some reason reminds me of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Steven Seagal and Matthew McConaughey all rolled into one. Terry is also undoubtedly EVIL, because he has a big house with servants and casually includes them all in his business of dumping toxic waste somewhere in the rainforests of Borneo - which is then never brought up again, because apparently this point exists only to drive home how Terry really is an unrelenting douchebag. Kreese and Silver concoct some half-assed scheme that's supposed to help Kreese get back to the top. Silver buys twenty dojo's around the city. Financially, he solves all of Kreese's problems within the first ten minutes. Problem solved, right? Wrong. For some reason, their plan also requires Daniel to get the living shit kicked out of him at a karate tournament and Kreese faking his own death before opening even a single new dojo (I shit you not). Because, you know, revenge and stuff.

Meanwhile, Daniel has become one of the most annoying characters ever, stuck in a repeat cycle of doing something insanely stupid and then whining about it to everyone around him. Early on, he pretty much forces Mr. Miyagi to put all of his money in a shop he was very reluctant about buying in the first place. Daniel provides the first lease out of his college money (which the movie presents as a smart idea for some reason), but Miyagi is pretty much stuck making all the payments to get the business going. Nice move, Daniel. Dick.

The shop plot is then left completely unresolved by film's end, because the movie has to end at the tournament and we need to see Daniel win at karate already. Which somehow means Kreese won't get his twenty succesful dojo's. I think. The movie isn't clear - it just ends after the final game, with Kreese and Silver pouting in a corner off-screen somewhere. Huh.

Seriously, this is a weird, weird movie. It really is one of those so-bad-it's-good kind of films. Watch it if you're in the mood for something like that. Otherwise, never mind. Move along.

Good Morning Vietnam (1987)

2nd time I saw it.

It's a very good movie (love films with a Vietnam setting), a role that only Williams could play, although I feel something is missing. I don't know, more drama?

This film is first and foremost a Robin Williams' star vehicle.

There's something happening here

But what it is ain't exactly clear

There's a man with a gun over there

Telling me I got to beware

I think it's time we stop

Children, what's that sound?

Everybody look - what's going down?

There's battle lines being drawn

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong

Young people speaking' their minds

Getting so much resistance from behind

It's time we stop

Hey, what's that sound?

What a field day for the heat

A thousand people in the street

Singing songs and carrying signs

Mostly saying, "hooray for our side"

It's time we stop

Hey, what's that sound?

Paranoia strikes deep

Into your life it will creep

It starts when you're always afraid

Step out of line, the men come and take you away

We better stop

Hey, what's that sound?

We better stop

Hey, what's that sound?

We better stop

Now, what's that sound?

We better stop

Children, what's that sound?

The Karate Kid, part III

Meanwhile, Daniel has become one of the most annoying characters ever, stuck in a repeat cycle of doing something insanely stupid and then whining about it to everyone around him. Early on, he pretty much forces Mr. Miyagi to put all of his money in a shop he was very reluctant about buying in the first place. Daniel provides the first lease out of his college money (which the movie presents as a smart idea for some reason), but Miyagi is pretty much stuck making all the payments to get the business going. Nice move, Daniel. Dick.

Quite a bad bit of acting from the lead in this movie. Daniel used to be likeable. here he's a hysterical little shit.

Kreese and Silver are Vietnam buddies, but Silver looks about 20 years younger then Kreese.

You weren't there, bro. You weren't in 'Nam. You don't understand, you'll never understand.

I guess it's an interesting genre of war film in some regards. The first one where the Americans didnt come out as the heroic winners.

What particular off shoot of the 'Nam genre do you prefer. The right-wing "all we needed was some extra men, we never should have made peace" angle, ala Rambo and the ourvre of Chuck Norris, or the left wing "they sound us out to get slaughtered and then left us to rot" Oliver Stone angle?

The most serious of course, so the "left wing". ;)

But I can watch anything..

The thing I like most about Vietnam films is the contrast between the magnificent tropical landscapes and the horror of war.

the ones i have seen so far:

Apocalypse Now Redux

Platoon

The Deer Hunter

Full Metal Jacket

Hamburger Hill

Born on the 4th of July

The Boys in Company C

The Green Berets

Uncommon Valor

Purple Hearts

Good Morning, VIetnam

Bat*21

Casualties of War

Flight of the Intruder

edit: Due to Alexcremers' inclusion of some other films below, I include them too (I didn't think to put them in the first place):

First Blood

Rambo: First Blood II

Taxi Driver

Tropic Thunder

I have seen Apocalypse Now only once (and it's the Redux version). I don't remember much about it, but it's the only film ever I can remember the exact date I saw it : 27 October 2005 (Thurdsay)

I want to see it again one of these days but I don't know if I should see the theatrical version first.

I guess the one everyone likes is the one that he sees first.

has anyone seen a recent documentary: Vientam in HD?

Is it good?

I going to beat that number:

Platoon

Casualties Of War

Born On The Fourth Of July

Rescue Dawn

We Were Soldiers

The Deer Hunter

Coming Home

Good Morning Vietnam

Full Metal Jacket

Jacob's Ladder

Uncommon Valor

Gardens Of Stone

Birdy

Apocalypse Now

Hamburger Hill

First Blood

Rambo II

Taxi Driver

Tropic Thunder

Heroes

Oh man, that description of Karate Kid III was interesting. It's been decades since I've seen that movie, any of them really. Now I kinda want to watch them again with friends to laugh at them :) I can't believe so many plot threads are left unresolved, that's funny! III was the one with the bonzai tree, right? Which one is the one with sweeping?

Yes. Particularly the bonsai tree. Miyagi tells Daniel he has planted a wild bonsai tree on a cliff somewhere and that a wild bonsai can be sold for as much as $10,000. So naturally, when starting up the shop takes more money than expected, Daniel takes it upon himself to DIG OUT THE TREE AND SELL IT. He has no buyer, he has no clue. Yet he takes it upon himself to dig up this piece of nature, this piece of serenity this old man has put out into the world and HARVEST IT FOR MONEY. Regardless of the completely mixed message this sends, the whole thing of course goes terribly wrong too and Miyagi is left to clean up Daniel's mess and listen to Daniel's incessant narcissistic whining. Ugh.

And what is that?

Karol

It's the new Jason Bourne movie. Apparently, it's a bit like District 9 (the director's previous film), only less better. The guy was supposed to direct a Halo movie, but the project was canceled for some reason (don't remember why), and apparently, the film has some clear "Halo-inspired" visuals.

elysium_ver2_portrait_w532.jpg

A Shot In The Dark (1964)

What a strange film! Released mere months after The Pink Panther, this film drops the main characters of the previous film instead focuses on the break-out character, Peter Sellers as bumbling French detective Inspector Clouseau, into a whole new case that begins with the murder of an extremely wealthy and important Parisian man's chauffeur. The prime suspect is the maid, Maria, played by the enchanting Elke Sommer. Can't deny Edwards has an eye for beauty! Much of the comedy of the film comes with Clouseau's continuous belief that the maid is innocent despite all evidence, as more bodies pile up and she seems to be involved in all their deaths. A good running gag involves him letting her out of jail to follow her, only to be arrested himself for breaking some minor crime as part of his disguise.

Oddly the film has almost no connections to the first film despite the main creative team - director/writer Blake Edwards, composer Henry Mancini, and of course Sellers - returning. In fact, no mention is made AT ALL of the fact that the first film ended with Clouseau IN JAIL after finding out his wife of TEN YEARS was a bad guy working for the Phantom the whole time! Furthermore, he rather easily and instantly falls in love with Maria when they meet. But I suppose I am over-thinking it - these are just 60's comedy romps, right?

The entire supporting cast is new as well, and they are all terrific, including two great new characters that would remain staples of the eventual franchise - Herbert Lom as Dreyfuss, Clouseau's boss who has reached his limit of Clouseau's bumbling-ness, who develops a great nervous tick eye-twitch, and also injures himself accidentally in several funny ways, going so far as to trying to kill Clouseau by the end of the movie! And the other is Kato, a live-in assistant of Clouseau who is tasked with attacking Clouseau when he least suspects it, to keep him sharp. Funny concepts!

Overall I think I liked The Pink Panther more, as it had more of an interesting plot and varied scenes; most scenes in A Shot In The Dark are Clouseau bumbling around, while The Pink Panther had some great scenes between Lytton and the princess. One thing that has improved is the score by Henry Mancini - The Pink Panther's score was already great, but A Shot In The Dark one-ups it with a ridiculously infectious main theme that repeats in interesting new variations throughout the first half of the picture, followed by a great over-the-top yet also droll bad guy theme for the second half. This Mancini guy is pretty good!

~

After this film Edwards and Sellers had a falling out, and the two would not work together again for 4 years, and not create another Clouseau film for 11 years. In the meantime there was an Inspector Clouseau film made without them starring Alan Arkin, which we will watch next!