What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The trailer said it all. crocs saw it, I saw it, why didn't anybody else see it?

Since when can you count on a trailer being a faithful representation of its movie?

The trailer said it all. crocs saw it, I saw it, why didn't anybody else see it?

Since when can you count on a trailer being a faithful representation of its movie?

Life of Brian is just as good.

Karol

Paul

It was a censored-for-TV edition, but I forgot how delightful it is. Actually the first movie where Seth Rogen's voice fits the title role perfectly, and Double Negative's VFX team do a great job rendering him. Even though the film is hilariously vulgar and vaguely sacrilegious, writers-stars Simon Pegg and Nick Frost never lose sight of the characters and the film is a warm tribute to sci-fi and geekdom. And David Arnold's score is just wonderful.

Have to get it on home video eventually.

There is a lot of information in a trailer, Marion. The style, the genre, the intension, to what kind of audience a movie wants to appeal, ... Of course, this modern Monty Python And The Holy Grail trailer is made to be different from the movie on purpose, and yes, there have been instances where real trailers did give a wrong impression of the movie, but those are rare exceptions.

Alex

Well, I saw Elysium anyway, and thought it was okay. A good way to spend two hours if you really have nothing else to do. But there is that feeling over the entire movie that says "I have seen this before". The ending was predictable one third into the film, not to mention plot holes. Matt Damon's performance or role didn't seem to be particulary inspired as well, and there is a good dose of clichees.

But, like I said, not a bad film.

Horrible score though.

There is a lot of information in a trailer, Marion. The style, the genre, the intension, to what kind of audience a movie wants to appeal, ... Of course, this modern Monty Python And The Holy Grail trailer is made to be different from the movie on purpose, and yes, there have been instances where real trailers did give a wrong impression of the movie, but those are rare exceptions.

Alex

Yeah, the trailer for "TPM" made it out to be good...

yes, there have been instances where real trailers did give a wrong impression of the movie, but those are rare exceptions.

I've seen too many of those to put faith in a trailer without someone confirming that it actually represents its movie. But then, I like to see a film knowing as little as possible about it, so I've mostly stopped watching trailers anyway (except at the theatre).

Prisoners.

It's a nicely written whodunit with seemingly complex moral issues at play, but it's really not as deep as people make it our to be (which isn't necessarily a flaw, mind), and the last 20 minutes reverts to a conventional, albeit no less riveting, thriller. All in considered it's a dark, bleak but engrossing time at the movies that could have perhaps had 20 minutes shaved in the editing room. Shades of Seven, Zodiac, Mystic River and Silence of the Lambs in this one. Certainly a recommended watch.

Oh and when I was watching it I was struck by how stylish, classy, and yet dark and foreboding the photography was... until the credits rolled and Roger Deakins' name appeared. It looks terrific. There's one sequence which is a car chase... well less a car chase than someone driving in a hurry to some place, but it is shot so masterfully by Villeneuve and Deakins that it felt utterly, scarily tense to me.

Trance

James McAvoy is Simon Newton, an art house auctioneer who narrates a very nicely done prologue sequence where he talks directly to camera, telling the audience their procedure for attempted robbery: Grab the painting, put it in a padded container, and bring it to a slot in the back that drops it down into a time-release vault; And never, under any circumstances, be a hero - no piece of art is worth a human life. A successful trial run is gives way to a heist of a valuable painting happening right now: however this time at the drop zone, Simon attempts to taze the thief (Vincent Cassel as Franck), which ends up with Simon on the ground bleeding from a head wound. When Franck gets home, he realizes the painting is gone - Simon had removed it before arriving at the drop zone!

After Simon gets out of the hospital, he has amnesia and cannot remember what he did with the painting. Franck tortures him until finally relenting and agreeing to hypnotherapy, hoping that will get Simon to remember where it is. He asks Simon to pick a therapist from a list on his iPad (iPads will play an important role in several scenes in the film). The therapist is Elizabeth Lamb, played by Rosario Dawson. Elizabeth is very good at what he does, but there is more going on in Simon's mind than meets the eye, and what follows for the rest of the film is a blend of reality and imagination as various memories are uncovered, allegiances change, and the truth is revealed.

In the end, Trance ends up being more or less another one of those heist movies that deals with the aftermath of the crime as twist after twist piles up and everything you had seen before gets shown in a new light as the ultimate perpetrators of the crime get revealed. But what elevates it above the rest is the excellent direction by Boyle, who effortlessly juxtaposed dream with reality in a slickly edited, stylized, and scored film. The music pounds, the camera angles tilt, and the viewer can get in a trance of his own, only broken by moments of extreme violence or another revelation. Danny Boyle continues to be one of the most interesting directors working today.

Speaking of McAvoy, X-Men: First Class was on TV last night. This prequel feels so much like Star Trek: Into Darkness that at one point I thought J.J. Abrams was actually the director. 6/10

Also saw The Tourist, you know, with Angela Jolie and Johnny Depp. Not good at all but watchable. The music often felt like like a romantic John Williams score. I don't know who the composer is but my chips are on Alexandre Desplat. 4/10

Alex

The Tourist was pretty bad. It had such promise, and for a good half to two thirds it was fine, but the twists were just ludicrous and everything really fell apart by the end.

The score was by James Newton Howard, Didn't it say so in the opening or ending credits?

the lack of chemisty between the two leads was it's major failing even over the mess of what they called a screenplay

The score was by James Newton Howard, Didn't it say so in the opening or ending credits?

There were no opening credits and end credits are never shown on commercial TV.

yes, there have been instances where real trailers did give a wrong impression of the movie, but those are rare exceptions.

I've seen too many of those to put faith in a trailer without someone confirming that it actually represents its movie. But then, I like to see a film knowing as little as possible about it, so I've mostly stopped watching trailers anyway (except at the theatre).

Same.

My favourite kind of trailers at the theatre are the ones for the movie I'm just about to see.

Rush

Probably the best film of 2013 for me so far. Superbly shot (DAT cinematography) the acting was great (Daniel Brühl stole it but Hemsworth is very good at what he does here). It didn't really feel like a Ron Howard film, it had a bit more of an indy feel or something, it was just fantastic. The race scenes were great and kept me on the edge of my seat (I think the great use of sound was a major factor here). I can find very little wrong with it. 3.5 out of 4.

Initially I had liked Zimmer's score but it started to wear thin and tbh the blatant Rains of Castamere "homage" was distracting. I'm glad I had worked it out in advance because that would have bugged me if the first time I had heard it was in the cinema. I think overall it works to an extent but it's not a memorable score. I think David Bowie's Fame, Thin Lizzie's The Rocker and Slade's Moma Were All Crazy Now (sp?) were far more memorably used.

In terms of award shouts I think Daniel Brühl could get a Best Supporting Actor (although it really is his film) and Anthony Dod Mantle for his phenomenal cinematography. The colour of the film was just spectacular.

the lack of chemisty between the two leads was it's major failing even over the mess of what they called a screenplay

It's difficult to create chemistry with someone like Angela Jolie. She behaves like if she is an unreachable fashion model. In fact, the whole film feels like a 90-minute perfume commercial.

Zero Dark Thirty (DVD)

Still a good watch, but I'm so glad I saw it in the cinema the first time around.

It was the 'sound' in the cinema which made it so effective on the big screen.

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope

One boring afternoon, I decided to give the 2004 DVD a spin. It's quite a bit sharper than the Laserdisc masters, but that's about all it has going for it. Raped movie, dysmal mix, bad effects. Ugh. I wonder how the BluRay looks compared to this thing.

One boring afternoon, I decided to give the 2004 DVD a spin. It's quite a bit sharper than the Laserdisc masters, but that's about all it has going for it. Raped movie, dysmal mix, bad effects. Ugh. I wonder how the BluRay looks compared to this thing.

I never watch the special editions any more..

Only the non-anamorphic DVDs with the original original versions.

Well, I saw Elysium anyway, and thought it was okay. A good way to spend two hours if you really have nothing else to do.

Wow, now that is a quote you want to see on a DVD cover. ;)

Karol

I had never seen the original 1977 film until I got the 2006 'Limited Edition'. I had grown up on the 1997 version, but I liked how stripped down and less bloated the original film is.

I'll have to re-watch it again.

I had never seen the original 1977 film until I got the 2006 'Limited Edition'. I had grown up on the 1997 version, but I liked how stripped down and less bloated the original film is.

I'll have to re-watch it again.

Mos Eisley is beautiful and full of atmosphere in the original version. It's also better in line with the rest of the movie.