What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/roberto-orci/27235/why-arent-filmmakers-respond-to-respond-to-online-critics

Indeed.

Whilst I've been known to be an accomplice in such casual, entitled online behaviour, I do see it all as one of the less savoury sides of the internet and I bemoan the emergence of influential social media in relation to movies and similar mediums. The fans have become too powerful.

Following

Really surprised by how much this one is like Memento. I found the plot to be very engaging, and there's some really nice camerawork that planted the seed for future Nolan productions, but the acting bogs it down. For what's essentially a student film made with friends over a few weekends, though, this is pretty great stuff. I wonder if the linear edit is even worth watching, but it's nice that it's included on the Criterion edition. I also think it's cool that he has maintained the same crew, well at least most of it, ever since he started.

It's veeery cheesy.

I don't mind chees-iness.

I like mane cheesy 80s sci-fi films.

I think I liked Battle beyond the stars better than this.

Also I'm looking forward to Saturn 3 in Bluray. I have never seen it.

By the way, I don't know what to watch tonight. :biglaugh:

I have 2 options (I haven't seen any of them):

Badlands (from my newly purchased Bluray)

Greystoke: Legend of Tarzan

Also there is an option for Shane (one of AFI's 100 best movies), but I'm keeping it, after I've seen the 2 above.

Yea I have that too, don't listen to it much. WHich is funny because it's a similar or the same setlist as when I saw them at Gillette Stadium, which was a great concert

Watched it yesterady.

As someone had said here, it's an ok film.

Of course, visually it's beautiful.

Mallick is one of my favourite directors, but i would rank this among my least favourites.

(now I have seen all of his filmography except his last film)

The Thin Red Line continues to be my favourite, a pure masterpiece!

Somehow I think I like Badlands the most. Then again, I'm not a big Malick worshipper.

Death Race 2:

DeathRace-2-lauren-cohen_zps06e902b7.jpg

The film is proof that Paul Wes Anderson is either a genius or Roel Reine is the worst director in the universe. I admit, I couldn't finish the movie. (PWA is entertainingly bad while Reine is boring bad)

Alex

Zero Dark Thirty.

With the exception of the last 45 minutes or so which get sort of interesting, this was one of the most tediously boring films I've ever seen.

It seemed to be a fly-on-the-wall during random periods, with the occasional terrorist attack interspersed, and periodically cutting to a scene in the middle east where they follow some guy in an SUV for a while. Even when the central character finally confirms the body at the end, I felt absolutely nothing towards her. Homeland has better characters than this.

I didn't like The Hurt Locker either, but this was a more interesting base story to me so I had high hopes. Dull, over-long and a narrative mess.

disclaimer: I skipped the middle hour of the film and there was nothing dramatically important I felt I missed.

Greystoke - Legend of Tarzan

It was a fairly good film, beautiful visually..

But it could have been better..

I can't imagine what Terrence Malick would have done with Tarzan!! It would fit his "naturalistic" style so much!

Zero Dark Thirty.

With the exception of the last 45 minutes or so which get sort of interesting, this was one of the most tediously boring films I've ever seen.

It seemed to be a fly-on-the-wall during random periods, with the occasional terrorist attack interspersed, and periodically cutting to a scene in the middle east where they follow some guy in an SUV for a while. Even when the central character finally confirms the body at the end, I felt absolutely nothing towards her. Homeland has better characters than this.

I didn't like The Hurt Locker either, but this was a more interesting base story to me so I had high hopes. Dull, over-long and a narrative mess.

disclaimer: I skipped the middle hour of the film and there was nothing dramatically important I felt I missed.

Really? I found it rather gripping and expertly director. I thought Bigelow deserved a Best Director nomination that year. Found it more interesting than Argo (which is a good film) and Homeland. I think the sense of realism had a big part in making it so engaging,

It did have some tedious parts though, and Desplat's score was no good. But I think the overall pros makes up for it.

I didn't notice the music until the scene where the soldiers prepare to depart. Pretty low-key score, but no complaints there at all.

Really? I found it rather gripping and expertly director. I thought Bigelow deserved a Best Director nomination that year. Found it more interesting than Argo (which is a good film) and Homeland. I think the sense of realism had a big part in making it so engaging,

It did have some tedious parts though, and Desplat's score was no good. But I think the overall pros makes up for it.

Interesting - I really enjoyed Homeland, and most of the characters in that were far more developed and dimensional than anyone in Zero.

But I don't much like films that focus more on realism, or a docu-drama feel. I prefer a more cinematic feel, so maybe that partly explains why I didn't like this.

Apparently the film was initially just about the hunt for Bin Laden, which wouldn't interest me at all, but when they got him, they had to change their script to incorporate the raid at the end. Hence, from the trailers, I had assumed the film was all about the imminent lead-up to the final half hour, but what I got instead was a decade's worth of watching the FBI doing their stuff (zzzZZZ).

It amazes me that it has 93% on RT. I'd have turned it off if I didn't know about the final scene (and really, that didn't live up to expectations either - it was merely more watchable than the prior 2 hours). Unbelievably overrated IMO.

---

And just in: Iron Man 3.

Tyler's score surprisingly good (I was humming the theme by the end), movie was pretty silly, but with fantastic effects and a fun Downey Jr performance. And waaaayy too long.

Looper

I think I enjoyed it this time around more than I did in the theater. Love Rian Johnson's homely sci-fi world here. Lots of great atmosphere and style, which is typically the strongest element in his films. The Kid Blue character should have been dropped, or at least shortened a great deal. Though I suppose a catalyst was needed to bring Bruce Willis to clean out of the Gat Men and head straight to the farm. Other than a few small quips, I really enjoyed watching it again. Don't like how JGL repeats the overly wordy narration from the beginning when first explaining time travel to Emily Blunt. Who would actually say, "Time travel doesn't exist, but in 30 years it will have been..." as a response to a question? On the flip side, I liked how Willis tells him to go to Shanghai instead of France in the diner scene. I didn't pick it up the first time that he was lying to try and make sure he meets the wife.

Hugo

I didn't really have any set expectations with this film. All I recall was bits of the first trailer where he's trying to solve his dead father's puzzle. I had assumed it was an adventure film, but Hugo isn't even really the main character here. I actually think he's the weakest, and Asa Butterfield's performance leaves a lot to be desired. Perhaps it's because he's completely surrounded by great talent. Either way, I don't think he did a good job. But as the film went on, and I discovered that it was pretty much Scorsese's love letter to cinema, I was actually quite moved. It's not a great film in any respect, but I found it very sweet and cute with bouts of beauty. It's a stunning film to look at. Great art direction and production design.

Was bored to death with Hugo. I think Scorsese has lost all his fans of the first hour by now.

Looper was okay until it we get to the farm house (second part of the film). I hardly remember the movie.

I very much disliked everything about Looper (in fact me and my mate were almost rolling on the floor with laughter) and couldn't be bothered to watch Hugo past its first 20 minutes or so there's that.

But then... I do admit films are getting more and more boring as I grow older. Barely can find anything for myself.

TV shows are better. And books. And music. But not films.

So you don't have to take my opinion seriously. ;)

Karol

But then... I do admit films are getting more and more boring as I grow older. Barely can find anything for myself.

Do you watch old movies or only recent ones?

I find myself watching old movies all the time and I love them!

I don't think i watched any recent movie this year, and last year I only watched 6-7 (from the nominated ones)

Yeah, I meant the latest ones - with each year there is less and less t savour. With some exceptions, of course.

Karol

Yeah, I meant with my post, that maybe you should start watching all the old movies you've missed! ;)

Take eg. the AFI's 100 list and start from there..

I actually need to familiarise myself with Asian cinema more. Tons of stuff I've not seen yet.

Karol

yes, I haven't seen many important foreign films too.

Thought to start first from Hollywood classics that I like the most.

Today I will be watching Sophie's Choice. Haven't ever seen it and I hear very good words about it.

I didn't like Hugo at all, and I couldn't understand all the love and the nominations!

I thought the same after it was finished. It's just another case like Argo where the movie is about the power of Hollywood so the Academy eats that shit right up, the pretentious lot.

I very much disliked everything about Looper (in fact me and my mate were almost rolling on the floor with laughter) and couldn't be bothered to watch Hugo past its first 20 minutes or so there's that.

Karol

The first 20 minutes are its worst. At first I liked how there was very little dialogue. It just made me think that there are at least some directors still working that can tell progressive narrative with just visuals and music. But it didn't feel quite right in terms of setting up the film, and then the title popped up and I thought, that was just the prologue? The Departed had a pretty long one too but in that case it didn't feel absolutely pointless. Anyway, once Kingsley's character is fleshed out more it starts to get good. I had trouble myself with those first 30 minutes where he's just running around and bitching about his notebook.

The Adventures Of Tintin

What a bore. The animation is superb, probably the best I've seen, and the voice acting top notch, but that's where it ends. Tintin's insufferable talking to himself throughout the whole movie is awful. The dialogue is just pure exposition, a formality to let the audience actually know what's happening. No one goes to a library and just reads everything and thinks aloud. Yeah, yeah, he was talking to Snowy. And what type of brilliant detective tries to open up a gate that's chained shut? Particularly when there's a gaping hole in the wall 2 feet to your left? Mediocre film accompanied by a mediocre score. I also found it odd that all the marketing has the title as The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn and that subtitle is dropped in the actual opening credits.

I also found it odd that all the marketing has the title as The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn and that subtitle is dropped in the actual opening credits.

What? the subtitle is there:

the-adventures-of-tintin-2011-_143217-fl

about the score:

I'd say it's mediocre comparing to Williams' masterpieces: E.T., Empire Strikes back, Hook etc.

But comparing to the general film music trend, I'd say it's itself a masterpiece!

and yes, i wasn't so much impressed by the film and I was bored a bit too.

I thought it was a very fun movie. Enjoyed it quite a bit at the theatres...haven't seen it since though.

And I'm a Canadian, from Canada.