What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

This is one of 3-4 movies in my entire life that i stopped watching in the middle..

(or more specifically in the 1st half hour in this one)

And I don't like doing this. At all..

Idiot!

Yes, i know I'm an idiot that i don't generally stop films in the middle.

I should have done it in more!

(ps.: i got it [your characterization], but tried to use it in my favour! ;) )

I think it's time to revert to my old signature, which said something about being more polite in the internet...

Stardust takes a while to get going, yes.

And Alien³ might be an attempt at something heavy, but it just falls flat in the end. A masterpiece this is not.

(part 2 of my pre-Interstellar viewings)

The Right Stuff

A wonderfully comedic take on the origins of NASA. Irreverent, maybe, but its hyperboles are founded in something. The "aw shucks" culture of the 50's, the US government's nigh-incompetence, the media frenzy, the absurdity of some of the physical and technological testing, and the whole machismo of the men themselves are all amusingly dialed up to 11 - but again, how far a stretch this is from the truth is questionable. But regardless of that, this is obviously also a tribute to an immense achievement, and the film doesn't neglect that.

The Right Stuff

A wonderfully comedic take on the origins of NASA. Irreverent, maybe, but its hyperboles are founded in something. The "aw shucks" culture of the 50's, the US government's nigh-incompetence, the media frenzy, the absurdity of some of the physical and technological testing, and the whole machismo of the men themselves are all amusingly dialed up to 11 - but again, how far a stretch this is from the truth is questionable. But regardless of that, this is obviously also a tribute to an immense achievement, and the film doesn't neglect that.

Glad to read your appreciation of the film.

Alien³

Now this is boring. Covered in drab dullness, the movie takes itself waaaaaay too seriously. There's not a glimmer of a smile to be found in the picture, the characters are all unsympathetic and the action - while resulting in considerably more bloodiness than in the previous two pictures - takes place mostly off-screen. Man, what a dud.

Bah humbug!

Alien³ is a broken masterpiece which uses the 5 stages of grief (denial and isolation, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance) as a leitmotif for Riplesy's tragic journey as a women who's fate has been entirely dictated by either the Beast, or the soulless company that wants the Beast.

Weaver is supported by a brilliant cast of character actors, in a film set in the hellish atmosphere of sci-fi Gothic architecture and decayed steam-punk.

Fincher wisely eschews the one-dimensional gung-ho action of Cameron's film, which would have taken away from the story, which is essentially an almost Shakespearean tragedy.

Sadly because the film was taken away from Fincher it doesnt live up to it's full potential. But even in it's marred form(s), it is gripping, thoughtful and daring stuff.

That's for that hilarious claptrap. Fincher screwed it up then the studio screwed it up. Never should have been given the go. Alien the Beginning. ALIENS, the end.

Nah, technically the studio screwed it up first. The couldn't make up their mind what film they wanted. They hired a director who left (Harlin). Then they hired another one and fired him (Ward). But the sets were already been built, the script was non-existent and the release date kept getting closer. Yeah, they wouldn't consider changing that. And that's when, at the 11th hour, Fincher comes in. And studio keeps undermining him. No wonder he complete disowned this.

Having said all of that, Sigourney Weaver is absolutely amazing in this. Far cry from the wooden performance of first Alien.

Karol

Sure, here it is. ;)

Nah, technically the studio screwed it up first. The couldn't make up their mind what film they wanted. They hired a director who left (Harlin). Then they hired another one and fired him (Ward). But the sets were already been built, the script was non-existent and the release date kept getting closer. Yeah, they wouldn't consider changing that. And that's when, at the 11th hour, Fincher comes in. And studio keeps undermining him. No wonder he complete disowned this.

Having said all of that, Sigourney Weaver is absolabsolutely amazing in this. Far cry from the wooden performance of first Alien.

Karol

The Right Stuff

Had seen this film some months ago I think. (or a year)

I found it too long, and I don't remember anything...

The Right Stuff

Had seen this film some months ago I think. (or a year)

I found it too long, and I don't remember anything...

Try again.

Alien = 9/10

Aliens = 10/10

So yes, the sequel is necessary.

I would agree..

Although really, we can't compare them.

They are different in style etc..

We can compare eg. Die Hard 1 & 2 because they are both the same (action films), but with the Alien films it's more difficult.

The first film is slowly paced, more claustrophobic horror sci-fi.

The second one is more action-oriented and has more of everything.. (more people, more aliens, more places, etc.)

Only at JWfan!

No really, the acting in Alien3 is too swollen compared to the more natural and subdued style of Alien.

Why does it need to be natural? Or subdued? It doesn't fit the third film.

Karol

Ridiculous!

Alien = 10

Aliens = 8

ALIEN = 9/10

ALIENS = 4/10

Alien = 9/10

Aliens = 6.5/10

idiotic scoring. Both films have stood the test of time and the latter might be one of the most quotable films of all time. Both are true classics in every sense of the word.

Both films have stood the test of time and the latter might be one of the most quotable films of all time. Both are true classics in every sense of the word.

Agreed.

Alien 5/5

Aliens 5/5

Agreed.

Weaver gives an Oscar worthy performance in the 86 film.

What I like about her in all the films (yes, all four) is that she really grows and changes. It's not like Ripley is the same character in each film. And it is also because of her that I can't ever really hate any of those.

Karol