What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The best part was Elijah Wood outrunning a tsunami up a hillside on a scrambler. Everything else is a blur.

Oh hang on I lie! Wasn't it Vanessa Redgrave who hugged her father on the beach to a spectacular watery death? That was absolutely hilarious!

Safe House: A spy movie that keeps the camera extrememly close to the action and the fighting choreography. You guessed it! It's a Bourne wannabe! Denzel Washington's iconicity is even distracting. The film does have a few entertaining scenes but knows only one tone or emotion: Everything is serious and important. 5/10

safe_house_zpsa8ab19b4.jpg

Alex

Did you ever start watching a film, realising at some point that it seems familiar, and then finding out that you have indeed seen it in the past? :P

Happened to me yesterday.

Fortunately I realised it at 10 minutes.

I guess I'm watching way too many movies..

Contact was a really intriguing and enjoyable movie I seem to remember; until the stupid ending completely unravelled and rubbished everything before it. Meh.

What specifically did you find stupid about the ending?

Did you ever start watching a film, realising at some point that it seems familiar, and then finding out that you have indeed seen it in the past? :P

My father used to do that. Multiple times for the same films, in fact.

Gone With the Wind

The popularity of the film eludes me. First half of the film is pretty engaging, but the post-intermission stuff is right out of a soap opera. It's still a beautifully mounted film with great production values and crisp Technicolor photography, I just find this a hugely overrated film. I like older films, especially The Adventures of Robin Hood and Thief of Bagdad, but GWTW doesn't do anything for me.

My mum too

Though often she would have no memory of seeing it before

I sometimes had an argument with him halfway through a film when he didn't believe me that he'd already seen it.

Contact was a really intriguing and enjoyable movie I seem to remember; until the stupid ending completely unravelled and rubbished everything before it. Meh.

The ending was wonderful. Why didn't you like it?

Let the Right One In

Tomas Alfredson absolutely nails the atmosphere of 1980s Sweden, with beautifully understated performances by Kare Hedebrant and Lina Leandersson in the lead roles. It doesn't shy away from the blood, but on the other hand it is restrained and tasteful in the bloody and violent subject matter. (Like when Eli attacks Lacke, bloodless apart from his bloody hand on the door.) And tremendous kudos to Hoyte van Hoytema's stunning photography, with some complex but understated shots.

And the score is exquisite, fits the movie perfectly. A modern horror film that actually deserves the praise heaped on it.

It's physically and mentally draining to watch. Never have I ever wanted to look away from the screen while watching a film before.

I think it's well made with interesting symbolism but I don't think I ever want to endure it again.

ANTICHRIST is trash, a snuff movie posing as an art house film. Von Trier's is one of the craftiest frauds in the industry. I have much respect for that guy.

Which is interesting because by its very definition, a snuff film could not exist within a studio system (even an independent one).

ANTICHRIST is trash, a snuff movie posing as an art house film. Von Trier's is one of the craftiest frauds in the industry. I have much respect for that guy.

Which is interesting because by its very definition, a snuff film could not exist within a studio system (even an independent one).

Well exactly. It's dressed up as an art house film, so it gets a free pass.

So if I produced a film based on The Rape of Lucrece (and taking unlimited artistic license with the "rape" part) and call it an "art house" film, it would be totally kosher?

:eh:

So if I produced a film based on The Rape of Lucrece (and taking unlimited artistic license with the "rape" part) and call it an "art house" film, it would be totally kosher?

Well, if you hired some daring and exhibitionist actors/actresses, had a reputation as an avant-garde provocateur, a sizeable following within the cultural elite, and reliable producers and distributors - you'd might get it premiered at Cannes.

Well, if you hired some daring and exhibitionist actors/actresses, had a reputation as an avant-garde provocateur, a sizeable following within the cultural elite, and reliable producers and distributors - you'd might get it premiered at Cannes.

Cannes: the film festival where you can literally rape your way to a Palme d'Or and not get flak from your audience.