What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The male hero is a dull character and Claire Danes tries her best but fails to give Yvaine the spark she managed to bring to Juliet in Baz Luhrman's Romeo + Juliet, leaving us with a mundane couple to follow around the film.

I disagree. Claire Danes is absolutely gorgeous in this. The main character is dull for most of the story, but that's kind of the point. The film, in all its fairytaleness, has quickly become a big favourite of mine. Bonus points go to the always wonderful David Kelly.

Ridiculous!

Alien = 10

Aliens = 8

ALIEN = 9/10

ALIENS = 4/10

Alien = 9/10

Aliens = 6.5/10

idiotic scoring. Both films have stood the test of time and the latter might be one of the most quotable films of all time. Both are true classics in every sense of the word.
Meh. The sequel is entertaining enough, but I could do without it. I never feel that much of a need to see it again. I prefer the far more frightening and yet beautiful Alien.

Aliens is one of those films that personifies the point that "bigger does not mean better". It's not bad though, a good action flick, but doesn't reach classic status for me personally (I don't care how it's regarded by the majority).

Just watched a screening of The Unbelievers, a documentary following (physicist) Lawrence Krauss and (biologist) Richard Dawkins as they travel around the world to speak at debates, lectures, rallies and so on. Krauss and Dawkins both turned up at the cinema for a Q&A session at the end, giving the surreal feeling that I was suddenly in the film I'd just seen...

Square Ron Howard movie; and as much as i like Horner's themes here, the syrupy children's choir destroys it. All the etheral stuff (like Dark Side of the Moon) is actually the most interesting.

I give you that Horner was on a roll that year even though i find the overly 'crowdpleasing' aspects of this and BRAVEHEART less and less listenable while some of the underscore gained my appreciation.

Square from your now familiarly gloomy perspective, perhaps. ;)

Don't mind the choir at all. The score gives me everything I want from the man and nothing I don't. Although the New-Agey Annie Lennox crooning over the end credits is a bit too much.

Well, it isn't the "last film I watched", but the last trailer i've watched a dozen times!!

Trully magnificent!!

(for anyone that isn't aware of the news, this is a new trailer in 40 years, for an upcoming release of the film in UK I think.)

Holy cow! They're showing it around here as well (from 7th of December). There's no chance I'm going to miss this.

Speaking of all the discussion we had on Alien 3 recently, I wrote a thing on it for Assorted Buffery blog some time ago. You can read it here.

Karol

Alien = 9/10

Aliens = 10/10

So yes, the sequel is necessary.

I would agree..

Although really, we can't compare them.

They are different in style etc..

You don't necessarily need to compare them against each other. Alien is just a better film in every regard. I understand the attraction to Aliens though, it's a wham bam thank you ma'am type of flick.

Yea I'd love to see 2001 on the big screen. It's cool they finally restored it - I assume it was an 8K restoration?

Yea I'd love to see 2001 on the big screen. It's cool they finally restored it - I assume it was an 8K restoration?

Can't find any information.

it says just digitally restored.

I'm afraid to know what that includes.. (eg. total loss of grain, edge enhancement etc. to make it appealing to today's audiences who can't stand grain on their HD screen?)

By the way, did you kow about this?

17 Minutes of 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY Lost Footage Found

http://whatculture.com/film/17-minutes-of-lost-2001-a-space-odyssey-footage-found.php

I hope we can see those in a future Bluray release!

I've seen it a few times in the cinema. The last occasion was really annoying in that, for whatever reason, the film wasn't projected onto the entire available screen space (in what was already a pretty small auditorium). The sense of immersion in the picture was dramatically reduced.

I've seen it on the big screen a few times myself. Nothing recent and I can spend my money on something newer.

Holy cow! They're showing it around here as well (from 7th of December). There's no chance I'm going to miss this.

Karol

All I want for Christmas is this in the US.

Would like to have this room to watch it!

I don't need a big house nor any other kind of luxury.

Just this room! :lol:

1_adelto_interior_design_store_luxury_fu

The terms "digitally restored" and "remastered" are selling techniques.

Speaking of such things, The Unbelievers includes one of the most brazen examples of a selling technique that I've ever seen. The publicity material for the film states that it includes interviews with a list of celebrities, from Woody Allen to Cameron Diaz to Ian McEwan. In fact, these interviews comprise nothing more than a few soundbites presented at the very start of the film and then accompanying the concluding credits. They have nothing whatsoever to do with the main body of the film. (For which I, for one, was thankful.)

Karol

All I want for Christmas is this in the US.

Would like to have this room to watch it!

I don't need a big house nor any other kind of luxury.

Just this room! :lol:

1_adelto_interior_design_store_luxury_fu

WOW !!!! :eek:

It's my dream theater !!! :w00t:

Geddit?

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

I wanted to be put into a good mood and this helped. I have to wonder how long the investigation into the disappearance of Dr. Gillian Taylor lasted. She slaps her colleague and storms out of the Cetacean Institute, only for her pickup truck to be found abandoned in Golden Gate Park.

I wanted to be put into a good mood and this helped. I have to wonder how long the investigation into the disappearance of Dr. Gillian Taylor lasted. She slaps her colleague and storms out of the Cetacean Institute, only for her pickup truck to be found abandoned in Golden Gate Park.

Kirk and crew were never real. It was all part of Gillian's psychosis as her mind involuntarily fabricated this elaborate plot by a techologically advanced space crew from the future to bring her condemned whales to safety. This thought gave her comfort. She probably ended up committing suicide or was at least found by authorities and institutionalised.

Kirk and crew were never real. It was all part of Gillian's psychosis as her mind involuntarily fabricated this elaborate plot by a techologically advanced space crew from the future to bring her condemned whales to safety. This thought gave her comfort. She probably ended up committing suicide or was at least found by authorities and institutionalised.

Double dumbass on you!

It's really enjoyable. It's highly quotable, and contains several "holy shit, that's awesome" nerd moments of joy.

It's notable in that nobody dies in it, other than the Klingons in the archive footage from Star Trek III. That's rare in Star Trek.

I can't understand why Netflix put Star Trek II in the children and family movie section. To indoctrinate new Trekkies young?

When I was 8 years old,

Alien - 3.5/5

Aliens 6/5!!!

Alien3 - 4.5/5

Alien: Resurrection - 4.5/5

When I was 16,

Alien - 4.5/5

Aliens 5/5

Alien3 - 4/5

Alien: Resurrection - 3/5

Now, at 26.

Alien - 5/5

Aliens 4/5

Alien3 - 3.5/5

Alien: Resurrection - 2.5/5

I haven't seen the theatrical Aliens since I was a kid though, so that may be a factor in its ever declining rating. I seem to remember the theatrical being that much more tighter. But the movie is looking a bit dated. Still a thoroughly entertaining action flick of course. Alien3 holds the honour of properly introducing the F word to me.