What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I haven't seen the film, but this screams Alien to me.

Not only Alien, Event Horizon makes 'references' to Tarkovsky's Solyaris and Kubrick's The Shining as well.

wtf is going on there??

Never mind, I'm not sure I want to know.

OK, it's clear that you want to see more of that scene, so there you go:

NOT SAFE FOR WORK!

You actually want to see a picture of a sex scene with a xenomorph? You guys are sick!

Not only Alien, Event Horizon makes 'references' to Tarkovsky's Solyaris and Kubrick's The Shining as well.

"Event Horizon" and Tarkovsky's "Solyaris" in the same sentence? NOT recommended.

Dances With Wolves

it's a hard one. One of those films I like for no particular reason yet all reasons. Shown on the Beeb yesterday after my couple of weeks of knackering the soundtrack it is primarily good to 'see' the soundtrack in action. At risk of echoing past comments on the OST, the way Barry is able to seemingly fill the landscape as Dunbar travels to Fort Sedgewick or the excitement of the buffalo hunt (a favourite scene, the way it looks real or knowing it's real for the most part) or even dare I say some heartwrenching moments -the music as the Union troops shoot Cisco and at the end as Wind In His Hair calls to Dances With Wolves that he'll be his friend forever. I know the film has its detractors but with each viewing it grows on me. Maybe it's just the presence of John Barry, that without his music the film might just be a typical Costner outing -I'm not a huge fan of his acting- or maybe it's just the film somehow.

There's been rumblings of a sequel for ages based on Michael Blake's own sequel book, not with Costner but Viggo Mortensen.

As for the soundtrack, putting words to the John Dunbar Theme makes it no less potent. A rendition with the Coldstream Guards was spine tingling.

Wow, never knew there was a sequel book. I don't want to see that, I love the way the movie ends!

It's called The Holy Road. I've read neither book to be honest. I like how Dances With Wolves ends but a sequel for me would be down a few pegs by no John Barry. So much a part of the film that a sequel without it wouldn't feel right.

But it seems that a sequel's been on the cards for a while so it might never happen.

Dances With Wolves

it's a hard one. One of those films I like for no particular reason yet all reasons. Shown on the Beeb yesterday after my couple of weeks of knackering the soundtrack it is primarily good to 'see' the soundtrack in action. At risk of echoing past comments on the OST, the way Barry is able to seemingly fill the landscape as Dunbar travels to Fort Sedgewick or the excitement of the buffalo hunt (a favourite scene, the way it looks real or knowing it's real for the most part) or even dare I say some heartwrenching moments -the music as the Union troops shoot at Two Socks and at the end as Wind In His Hair calls to Dances With Wolves that he'll be his friend forever. I know the film has its detractors but with each viewing it grows on me. Maybe it's just the presence of John Barry, that without his music the film might just be a typical Costner outing -I'm not a huge fan of his acting- or maybe it's just the film somehow.

There's been rumblings of a sequel for ages based on Michael Blake's own sequel book, not with Costner but Viggo Mortensen.

As for the soundtrack, putting words to the John Dunbar Theme makes it no less potent. A rendition with the Coldstream Guards was spine tingling.

Have you seen the extended version?

The scenes I didn't like where the ones that show what happens in the fort before Costner arrives.

But in the theatrical cut it was more mysterious without these scenes

Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader

A decidedly less extravagant outing than the bloated Prince Caspian, but Michael Apted and Dante Spinotti's decision to use the Sony CineAlta camera (rather than 35mm or the better digital cameras) hurts the film visually. Some scenes have a very crisp and film-like image (mostly the daylight scenes) but low-lit or nighttime scenes stick out like a sore thumb. It's the weaker Narnia film compared to the fairly entertaining first pic, but a big step up from the second one in terms of pacing and storytelling.

Still enjoyed David Arnold's score, he uses Harry Gregson-Williams' theme better than HGW did in the first two films. Much more harmonic and free of the percussion and electronics.

Dances With Wolves

it's a hard one. One of those films I like for no particular reason yet all reasons. Shown on the Beeb yesterday after my couple of weeks of knackering the soundtrack it is primarily good to 'see' the soundtrack in action. At risk of echoing past comments on the OST, the way Barry is able to seemingly fill the landscape as Dunbar travels to Fort Sedgewick or the excitement of the buffalo hunt (a favourite scene, the way it looks real or knowing it's real for the most part) or even dare I say some heartwrenching moments -the music as the Union troops shoot at Two Socks and at the end as Wind In His Hair calls to Dances With Wolves that he'll be his friend forever. I know the film has its detractors but with each viewing it grows on me. Maybe it's just the presence of John Barry, that without his music the film might just be a typical Costner outing -I'm not a huge fan of his acting- or maybe it's just the film somehow.

The scenes I didn't like where the ones that show what happens in the fort before Costner arrives.

I don't think I have. The BBC seem to vary in the length they show. As I don't recall seeing scenes at the fort before Costner's arrival I guess I haven't :)

I should try it just the once to say I have and see what it looks like. Otherwise I think the theatrical version is enough.

Event Horizon is a guilty pleasure sort of movie, it's pretty terrible. And watchable.

Were you genuinely expecting something entirely different?

Quintus is right. That's all it is.

Did you like Sphere better, which is similar to Event horizon?

Or haven't you seen this either?

Koray is a Sunshine guy, which is a slightly classier version of Event Horizon.

I liked Sunshine up until the ending. I would need to see it again to formulate an 'official' opinion. But no, I'm a Moon kinda guy ;)

@Quint, I honestly had no expectations. Never seen it and never knew what it was about. Just that it was a space movie.

@filmmusic, Never seen Sphere.

Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader

A decidedly less extravagant outing than the bloated Prince Caspian, but Michael Apted and Dante Spinotti's decision to use the Sony CineAlta camera (rather than 35mm or the better digital cameras) hurts the film visually. Some scenes have a very crisp and film-like image (mostly the daylight scenes) but low-lit or nighttime scenes stick out like a sore thumb. It's the weaker Narnia film compared to the fairly entertaining first pic, but a big step up from the second one in terms of pacing and storytelling.

Still enjoyed David Arnold's score, he uses Harry Gregson-Williams' theme better than HGW did in the first two films. Much more harmonic and free of the percussion and electronics.

I saw 10 minutes while on a business trip and the hotel had only 8 channels. It was bloody awful and i mean it.

Dances With Wolves

I ended up watching it all as well, wrote my free afternoon off it did. Hadn't realised it till the Beeb stuck it on at that time, but it occurred to me while I was watching that it's like the ultimate Sunday afternoon movie. It is a most restful piece of storytelling.

The blu ray contains the Extended Cut only, for some reason

The European versions have the theatrical one..

Dances With Wolves

I don't think I have. The BBC seem to vary in the length they show. As I don't recall seeing scenes at the fort before Costner's arrival I guess I haven't :)

I should try it just the once to say I have and see what it looks like. Otherwise I think the theatrical version is enough.

yes, you would know since it's nearly 4 hours! :lol:

I love this film also.

I think it's time i bought the Bluray.

There is an incredible golden steelbook in Germany that has both versions but unfortunately it doesn't have English subtiltes and I need them.

17516_large.jpg

I've held off until now, in case someonbe releases a steelbook (eg. zavvi) or a digibook or something.

This is a special movie and I hate to have to buy it in a standard plain case.

Sometimes you people are too much!

In the future all our movies are going to be stored digitally anyway without physical media in our homes, why worry about the cases now? If they were the same price that'd be one thing but the special packaging always costs more.

Do you mean the random tidal wave of blood that came from no where? The only bit I picked up from Solaris was the whole dead wife thing.

I'd rather buy a nice shiny CD or Blu Ray rather than download it (or whatever), but I really think that Jay is right. In the future, "physical" won't exist.

Do you mean the random tidal wave of blood that came from no where? The only bit I picked up from Solaris was the whole dead wife thing.

Enough with the whole "Event Horizon"/"Solyaris"/"The Shining" comparisom thing! It really isn't fitting JWfan. We are above all this, goddamn it!

Sometimes you people are too much!

Don't you feel happy when you buy your favourite soundtrack and it's in a special case or something?

that steelbook is exquisite:

And I don't buy movies just to watch them.

It's like a collector's thing.

They are very beautiful to look at too on your shelf.

I enjoy buying my favorite movies on physical media, but I don't care what case they come in. Sorry, just not my thing. I'm more interested in picture and audio quality, and bonus features.

Well that's just crazy. As the years go on music will be available on physical media less and less. It will happen long before it does for movies.

I enjoy buying my favorite movies on physical media, but I don't care what case they come in. Sorry, just not my thing. I'm more interested in picture and audio quality, and bonus features.

well, I don't care about ALL of them, just some that are special to me..

Only time I've done that perhaps, bothering about how something appeared, was my Revenge of the Sith CD and indeed DVD. The CD had this gold sleeve and the DVD being a 'HMV exclusive' had a cover more focused on the lightsaber fight. Failing that I've never been too fussed by it. Though I have some DVDs like Baader-Meinhof Complex and Stripes that have a 'special' sleeve which makes some difference if just in looks.

Same here. I dont get the "steelbook fetish" at all.

Twentieth Century Fox really lost site of what the Alien franchise could be after the second movie. The comics where much more satisfying in that regard.

Have you read Aliens: Labyrinth? It's really good.

Karol

I read all the Aliens comics that came out on Dark Horse in the 80s and 90s... I don't remember specifically which one that was.

A lot of times though, that goes hand in hand. Like with Criterion ;) Only studio that uses thick PS3 style cases instead of flimsy hollowed out ones.

The only Criterion blu I own is The Game and I hate its large case - it's pointless! Takes up a ton of shelf room for ONE disc!

I read all the Aliens comics that came out on Dark Horse in the 80s and 90s... I don't remember specifically which one that was.

Does this fella look familiar?

Aliens_labyrinth1.jpg

Karol

Yea, I'm sure I read it, but it's been so long I don't remember any details. Planning on re-reading DH's Aliens and Predator comics sometime soon.

The only Criterion blu I own is The Game and I hate its large case - it's pointless! Takes up a ton of shelf room for ONE disc!

Which begs the question what anyone could possibly want with THE GAME in a home video incarnation at all.

wtf is going on there??

Never mind, I'm not sure I want to know.

OK, it's clear that you want to see more of that scene, so there you go:

NOT SAFE FOR WORK!

You actually want to see a picture of a sex scene with a xenomorph? You guys are sick!

I wouldn't put it past Giger to have drawn that at some point.