What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I felt like it climaxed slightly too early with the cadillac of the sky sequence, but otherwise fantastic filmmaking. John's score does get a bit too in your face at times, though. Before this viewing I had no images to relate to the music, and it worked wonderfully on its own.

The Color Purple was the first instance of bloated Spielberg films that drag 3/4 of the way through. This became a frequent occurrence with his dramatic films, including Empire of the Sun, and continues to this day.

SL was too long. Munich is 2 hrs and 44 minutes too long, SPR could have done with the crying scene at the end. War Horse and Lincoln were a few minutes long.

Empire Of The Sun

My first time watching this in so long I can't remember. It's essentially a new film. The blu-ray looks superb.

Damn, I still need to see it in HD. Of course, I saw it in HD at the time of its theatrical run but still ...

I don't have a problem with the duration at all but that's probably because I'm fascinated and captivated the whole time. Time flies when you are having fun (or when you are not bored) . At the end of the movie I even don't know who Jim's parents are. Jim's journey became my journey. Empire Of The Sun is still my favorite Spielberg film by far.

Alex

Automata:

automata_02_zps6b0dd7bb.jpg

I was waiting for the robots to turn into killer machines but fortunately that didn't happen. 6/10 for ballsiness! However, the expounding dialogue, the heavy-handed storytelling and Banderas' English reveal a 5/10 movie.

Alex

I was waiting for the robots to turn into killer machines but fortunately that didn't happen.

I like how they play with that in the first half, filming them in a way that make them look rather scary. While I agree it was nice they didn't go that way with them, what they gave us instead was not a great alternative. They ended up being rather boring. And that dog-like thingy they built... WTF was that?

The dog thingy was to show the audience that they became more than machines. Machines creating pet animals for themselves gives them a recognizable human quality.

Alex

918b817e2d4967f0_Extract.jpg

Extract

I'm a big fan of some Mike Judge properties (Office Space & Silicon Valley) and not as big a fan of others (Idiocracy and King of the Hill). This unfortunately fell into the latter for me. The cast was great - Jason Bateman, Ben Affleck, Mila Kunis, Kristen Wiig, J. K. Simmons, Beth Grant, T. J. Miller. It's the story that lets it down. The film purports to be a comedy, but apart from a few funny bits is mostly just a light drama about a man running an extract factory, pondering whether to sell it or not; His sex-less marriage with his wife; and a con-artist grifter (Kunis) who rolls into town and mixes everything up. There are many missed opportunities for better jokes or storylines throughout, and a couple time the film seems to be setting up something potentially great only to do the exact opposite (who else though when the gigolo's affair with Wiig was only shown in hazy flashback that it would turn out he boned the wrong girl - Koechner's wife? Nope!)

We wanted something funny to watch after The Captive left a sour taste in our mouth, but sadly this didn't do the trick. Another completely forgettable, skippable movie. Only see it if you're a Kunis die-hard.

It took forever just to find something on Amazon Prime that seemed worth watching. Their selection is not that great.

gangster.jpg

Lawless

Meh. It's a film about 3 brothers (Tom Hardy, Shia Lebouf- who somehow got top billing, and Jason Clarke) in 1931 Virginia who are running a successful bootlegging business during prohibition, when they run into trouble with a gangster (Gary Oldman) and a new Special Deputy (Guy Pearce). Jessica Chastain and Mia Wasikowska are also completely shoe-horned in as love interests for Hardy and Lebouf. It was violent, cliched, and more egregiously boring. Not sure what the hype is all about, I guess because it was written by Nick Cave and directed by John Hillcoat.

Ben Affleck was the only really funny part about Extract, but I remember enjoying it all the way through. Haven't seen it since theaters though.

Lawless is decent, but flawed with some missed opportunities. I'm probably the only person that really likes John Hillcoat.

It took forever just to find something on Amazon Prime that seemed worth watching. Their selection is not that great.

Dave watched Transparency but since it's about a transgendered he watched it alone.

I've never seen anything else by John Hillcoat so the name meant nothing to me.

Anyways thanks for the Blu ray; Since I didn't like it I will pay it forward and send it to someone else who wants it for free.

You know what was odd about it? It was a FOUR DISC set! Blu, DVD, digital copy, and unabridged audio book (mp3cd). Wow!

Not sure what the hype is all about, I guess because it was written by Nick Cave and directed by John Hillcoat.

What hype? Financially and critically, the film didn't do that well.

I liked Cave's score to their earlier collaboration, The Proposition. Good film.

Yeah it's probably the best of their three collaborations. I like The Road but there's something off about it that I can't quite pinpoint. For some reason, Atticus Ross is scoring Hillcoat's next film.

The Secret of Arriety - It's still one of the more minor Ghibli films, but even though the pacing is deliberate it never really drags and the artwork is still quite breathtaking. It doesn't dumb down the story for youngsters, even in the U.S. dub, and whether you watch it in the English dub or the original Japanese track with subtitles, it's enjoyable either way.

They don't really make movies like this anymore. Even Pixar can't really capture the magic of hand-drawn animation the way the Ghibli animators do.

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist:

tumblr_m1k2sxRIQp1qe2w1uo1_1280_zpsd810e

I couldn't stand it longer than 5 minutes. The ex-girlfriend was so caricatural and cliché, I thought I was watching an MTV teen show.

Alex

No. We need a "What is the Last Film You Partially Watched? (Newer Films)" thread and a "What is the Last Film You Partially Watched? (Older Films)" thread.

But please split those into films where you just watched a few minutes, films which you watched half way through, films which you watched nearly until the end, and all others. And then split that into films you want to see in full someday and films you don't.

Masterpiece!

Watched my newly purchased Bluray which is reference quality too!!

Tonight it's Metropolis (1927).

Let's see.. I haven't seen it ever. It's 2,5 hours. Seems a daunting task..

(It'll be the 2nd silent I'll see)