What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

21 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Well why don't people just say that? I keep getting the alarming impression that people are being reduced to a sobbing, hysterical wreck by a movie or a piece of music. And I hear this from people so often, I'm like "yeah it was a sad movie, but like, really?!"

Actually, I think your personal disposition is to blame here for any misinterpretation. 

What a shame.  The movie I associate most with him for some reason is V for Vendetta, which I have seen in 10 years, but remember him being very entertaining as the head of the Gestapo-like security force.

If it wasn't for the score I wouldn't remember it existed either.  I've never seen it

Hey Drax, recent slasher pic with a modern twist Don't Breathe features a blind homeowner/stalker who would make Michael Myers hide in the closet.

MV5_BMGMw_MDdm_OTEt_OTZi_Yi00_NTBm_LWFi_

The morally dubious blonde burglar/escapee who is trapped within his claustrophobic residence is a pretty good final girl to boot.

jane_levy_no_respires_pic_01.jpg

Seek it out! 

10 hours ago, Quintus said:

Drax is right though. There are different tiers of tears. 

Which level do you exhibit with Star Trek? It isn't a difficult question. 

I'm talking the real tears here, not the fake melodramatic woman crying. Lump in throat, eyes watering and several minutes of tissues and that weird inhaling.

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

Bolt is an awesome little secondary animation, largely forgotten like so many of them are (Ants, Flushed Away). I loved it!

I love how Powell's theme is diagetic and is the theme for Bolt's show in the film. These flicks that required Powell's involvement from the story level of production are often his best works (i.e. Happy Feet, Horton Hears A Who!, etc.).

That's what I was getting at - it's odd to me that someone who openly acts like an overgrown child with their adoration of Caravan of Courage says they don't watch cartoons. 

7 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

I don't watch cartoons either.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Why not? 

Pin him down, mother.

It's a good question.  Selina, do you mean that you don't watch cartoons, or that you don't watch animated films?

Nah, they're not. 

I stopped watching cartoons on the tv around about the time Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a phenomenon, but I still have to sit through Horrid Henry and whatever else at times. Amazon streaming also has the old Tom & Jerrys and the Loony Tunes stuff, which we have on from time to time and they're still surprisingly good today. But yeah, film animations are something I happily sit down for, if they're of fine quality. The day before yesterday I watched My Friend Totoro with the kids, it was lovely. 

To me, a cartoon is Scrappy Doo (which I would readily tie up in a linen bag, and throw into a river), while some animated features are some of the most beautiful films that I have ever seen.

The Fred Quimby TOM AND JERRYs are works of art! 

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Nah, they're not. 

I stopped watching cartoons on the tv around about the time Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a phenomenon, but I still have to sit through Horrid Henry and whatever else at times. Amazon streaming also has the old Tom & Jerrys and the Loony Tunes stuff, which we have on from time to time and they're still surprisingly good today. But yeah, film animations are something I happily sit down for, if they're of fine quality. The day before yesterday I watched My Friend Totoro with the kids, it was lovely. 

With kids, i absolutely understand. You watch new stuff with them, and you introduce them to the cartoons you grew up with.

But with the exception of Finding Nemo, and I guess Tintin, i dont think ive watched any for years on my own.

It isn't just a children's necessity for me though, I try to make the effort to see the really fine ones regardless. I only learned about this one a couple of weeks ago and I made it a priority to see it ahead of other films on my list:

16632_front.jpg

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

It isn't just a children's necessity for me though, I try to make the effort to see the really fine ones regardless. I only learned about this one a couple of weeks ago and I made it a priority to see it ahead of other films on my list:

16632_front.jpg

This is for teenage Asian kids.

Pixar, Disney, Dreamworks etc. whatever cartoon movies are all unwatchable for me.

Given that you're hugely fond of a movie that is aimed squarely at American kids (Ewoks Caravan of Courage), I can only deduce from your last remark that you're a bit of a racist.  

Fargo

The Coen brother's low-key little crime drama/comedy retains it's simple delights 20 year on..

Love the relative simplicity and straight forward nature of the plot. It's joys are to be found in the behaviour of the characters, portrayed by a pitch perfect cast.

Macey is great as the guy who comes up with an idea to have his own wife kidnapped for ransom, and then exhibits no ability to at any point take charge of the situation as things go from bad to worse. I love how with his first encounter with Marge, she asks a question and he seems 100% unable to come up with anything to say.

The two guys he hires to do the kidnapping are barely more capable. The actual kidnapping itself is ridiculous in it's execution (love how Stormares character walks up to the house in broad daylight wearing a hood and carrying an crowbar openly) Buschemi is in top form as the criminal who can't keep his mouth shut. The idiot gets himself killed because he's arguing his partner over who's paying for the car while he secretly stashed about 92.000 dollars from him. Moron!

But the films central character is Marge Gunderson, or Margy as she's consistanly called. Like a Comumbo episode she doesnt appear till after the crime take space, about 33 minutes in. But from there Frances McDormand creates a character who's so normal, down to earth and well-adjusted that she's almost unparalleled in movie history. Very very few films deal with normal, happy people do day to day things. She goes through the film doing her job while pregnant, asking the right questions, putting two and two together spending time with her also incredibly normal and down to earth husband. There's a quirky energy, yet true to live feel to a lot of scenes in the film. Most of them with Marge. The Coens have a way of doing this kind os stuff that reminds me of Wes Anderson at times. Larger than life, yet somehow subdued. Vince Gilliigan does it too sometimes.

This is mainly a comedy, and a very good one. But it does have violence. And when it occurs it looks nasty, and pointless, and actually rather sad.

This leads to Marge's "big" speech which, done right could have been dreadfully moralistic. But both the writing, direction and acting strike exactly the right tone as Margy tells Grimsrud after she arrested him and is bringing him in:

So, that was Mrs. Lundegaard on the floor in there. And I guess that was your accomplice in the wood chipper. And those three people in Brainerd. And for what? For a little bit of money? There's more to life than a little money, you know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it.

Call me a softy but I well up every-time at that scene, which is brilliant and always shorter than I remember.

It's followed a little later with the closing scene. Just Marge and her husband. Content with each other and eager to have their baby. I wondered why they actually made Marge pregnant in this film. Since it's totally irrelevant to the plot. But the final scene makes that all clear.

Shot by Deakins, so ofcourse it looks good. Carter Burwell delivers a lyrical, folksy score and everything in it just works and flows perfectly. Even the deliberatly painful scene where Marge has a drink with an old school friend. At less then 100 minutes it's the perfect length.

Just a perfect little film. And one that makes you feel kinda content and happy for the rest of the day. Like Margy.

**** out of ****

I don't think so.

I'm eager to check it out. It's been on my to do list for ages actually, with so many other things. But there's a straight forward simplicity in both the story and characters that just makes the film for me. I wonder if a TV show can carry that over. Isnt it a slightly different animal?