What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

Blimey, it happens to be at the drop of a hat. I can be listening to music in the car and suddenly feel something wash over me, it's a really amazing feeling actually. There's all sorts of ways in which I appreciate music. 

Quintus - almost completing the Drax 10-piece jigsaw with each new little insight drop he provides. 

Me as well.  And it does often happen when I'm listening while driving.  I think it's because, with my current life situation, the car is the only place I can play music really loudly and actually surrender myself to it.

9 hours ago, KK said:

Sometimes music draws on something raw and more vulnerable than what life is used to eliciting. It doesn't happen to me often, but with some select pieces, it has happened.

I only ever listen to music because of its emotional effects, small or great. I've no interest in it in any other way.

Thats why I struggle with some people here who seem to analyze it to death.

16 hours ago, Godzilla said:

If music makes people cry, I'd hate to think what real life does to them.

If people who have a strong enough interest in music to collect tons of it and constantly listen to it can't be moved to tears by it, I don't understand what they see in life.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I only ever listen to music because of its emotional effects, small or great. I've no interest in it in any other way.

Thats why I struggle with some people here who seem to analyze it to death.

I see no reason to restrict it to one or the other.

Raiders of the Lost Arc. Not bad at all, though it's indeed really funny how Indy doesn't contribute anything to the plot. John Williams' themes were of course great, but the rest of the score didn't make any impression on me, except for a few notes here and there. Even Marion's theme didn't move me at times.

Yes and no. 

The Ark would have been found eventually. The German dig team was in the same basic area of Tanis as the Well of Souls. Indeed, you can't see this bit of trivia, but when Indy and Marion escape from the Well, a German soldier is asleep next to the brick wall. Yes, somehow the Well is deep underground on a small hill, because escaping out of it sideways means pushing out a wall. The Germans should have looked there first. Someone should have found the Ark centuries prior. 

Indy's interference helped the German team get their hands on it sooner. Fortunately he was just nearby to bring it to America when its fatal power was unleashed, or it would have sat on that abandoned island for months, assuming that they didn't take it to Berlin to be opened. Ah, but that would have meant the destruction of the Third Reich in one awesome cataclysm, which would not have fit in the plausible history story the movie tries to tell. 

14 hours ago, Quintus said:

Blimey, it happens to be at the drop of a hat. I can be listening to music in the car and suddenly feel something wash over me, it's a really amazing feeling actually. There's all sorts of ways in which I appreciate music. 

Indeed. The best music is the kind that elicits some kind of cathartic emotional experience. 

But to be clear, I was referring to the physical act of crying itself. And while that specifically, hasn't happened often. There are specific pieces that have an acute ability of bringing me to tears.

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

If people who have a strong enough interest in music to collect tons of it and constantly listen to it can't be moved to tears by it, I don't understand what they see in life.

I still don't get what could be so upsetting about it that it would provoke someone into a sobbing, hysterical mess. Unless some people are particularly volatile emotionally?

It's not necessarily the music itself Drax, but rather what we project onto the music. Sometimes the right kind of music can connect you to a just the right kind of emotional memory or state that leaves you in tears.

35 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

I only cry at the end of Star Trek II.

However, I recently balled at the end of Doctor Who: "Doomsday" because I'm like a fucking woman sometimes.

I think you mean bawled. Balled means something else. 

19 hours ago, Godzilla said:

I still don't get what could be so upsetting about it that it would provoke someone into a sobbing, hysterical mess. Unless some people are particularly volatile emotionally?

May have something to do with age.

A sobbing hysterical mess in response to music would likely be more attributable to something like bipolar disorder, severe depression or schizophrenia. 

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

A sobbing hysterical mess in response to music would likely be more attributable to something like bipolar disorder, severe depression or schizophrenia. 

That's just the mental image I get when someone says a film or piece of music made them "bawl", "weep", "cry", etc. It all just sounds too melodramatic, and I suspect people might be exaggerating their description of their [over]reaction to the artwork in order to validate their liking for it.

Thing is, movies have made me sad, happy, angry, disgusted, etc. But it was always more on the inside. I couldn't imagine it manifesting into a fit of tears. It just seems like an overreaction to something so trivial.

If a loved one dies, or the bank takes your house, or you lose a limb, or lose your job, yeah sure cry all you like! That's perfectly understandable! But crying at movies or music? I'm still lost on that one.

Don't think anyone is saying they burst into a fit of tears. A nice hardy stream down the cheeks is most probable.

At least that's what happens to me if something hits the right chord (i.e. the whipping scene in 12 Years A Slave).

25 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

So if I cry at the end of Star Trek II, it's due to bipolar disorder?

Outright audible sobbing, or lump in your throat watery eyes? 

5 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

Crying is crying.

Drax is right though. There are different tiers of tears. 

Which level do you exhibit with Star Trek? It isn't a difficult question. 

Only one movie has ever actually reduced me to heaving sobs (I was being hyperbolic about E.T. on a previous page of this thread) and that's Life Itself, the documentary following Roger Ebert's final days.  That was definitely a combination of my relationship to Ebert's work and where I was in my life at that time.

Most movies when I say they made me cry, I mean a few silent tears.

Well why don't people just say that? I keep getting the alarming impression that people are being reduced to a sobbing, hysterical wreck by a movie or a piece of music. And I hear this from people so often, I'm like "yeah it was a sad movie, but like, really?!"