What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Alex also hasn't seen Season 2, which wears its Twin Peaks influence on its sleeve. 

I haven't seen S2 of TD but S1 was far too Korayesque to be reminiscent of Twin Peaks. So to you guys True Detective is the new Twin Peaks, huh? Hahahaha!

Maybe a detective ordered a coffee with some pie, right? 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Fine programs, all of them!  But Deadwood is it for me.  The tops.  Never to be dethroned.

Top 3 for sure ...

14 hours ago, Quintus said:

Any small town setting will inevitably be compared to Twin Peaks since it became the indelible template for small towns on TV. Bloodline, Fargo, True Detective, Riverdale, you could go on and on.

...Gilmore Girls. Seriously. I was surprised how much it reminded me of the Lynch show at times when I watched it for the second time after I'd finally seen Twin Peaks. The way it handles its side characters and plots seems deliberately reminiscent, I thought, although of course the actual content is totally different.

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Broadchurch was labeled the British Twin Peaks at one point if I recall correctly. Though I don't think Twin Peaks ever had paedophile paranoia rage in it.

I don't see that comparison. Yes, it's also set in a small town, and it also focuses on the connections between a dozen side characters, but the way it does it seems quite different to me. Even if the more serious aspects of the crime plots may have their similarities.

Really? I mean its naturally a different kind of beast, but it has all your Twin Peaks-esque ingredients. You have the shady characters (everyone seems normal at first glance but are "off" in some way), bizarre events and general mysterious tone set in a seemingly normal small town featuring a sheriff, pot dealer, a wealthy corrupt businessman who basically owns the town via conspicuous dealings, etc etc...

All its really missing is a supernatural component, but the macabre relationship between the Bates basically fill in that role anyway.

7 hours ago, KK said:

Bates Motel channels Twin Peaks pretty well too.

Twin Peaks is probably the granddaddy of 'Quality TV'.

That doesn't mean the third season is going to show everyone how it should be done.

Maybe you people have too much faith?

I mean, when an old retired boxer returns to the ring after many years, a little scepticism is only normal, IMO.

Lol Cremers is willing it to suck now, just so he can have his way here and be seen to be right, in his mind. The little things that drive vindictive people on the internet, heh! 

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Lol Cremers is willing it to suck now, just so he can have his way here and be seen to be right, in his mind. The little things that drive vindictive people on the internet, heh! 

He has more faith in Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 than Twin Peaks season 3!

29 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

He has more faith in Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 than Twin Peaks season 3!

I don't have much faith in Guardians 2 either, as I already have expressed. 

40 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Plus, comparing an artist to an athlete doesn't seem particularly useful.

History proves otherwise.

Even if Twin Peaks comes out to resounding critical praise and everyone loves it, user '--Alexandre Cremers' will still have to say he didn't like it, because he's now left himself with no other option! He couldn't bear the thought of losing face here! (again)  

It's like I don't even have to try with him anymore. Used to be a bit more challenging. 

Indy and the Temple of Doom. Interesting premise. First half was good, second half was dead boring. Jesus, what a waste of time that was. Did this film win an award for 'most screams in one film'? Willie was sometimes nice but mostly annoying. Really liked Harrison Ford in this one. Only the romantic cues of the score appealed to me and the recording badly needs some reverb.

Yeah the thing is, listening to a descriiption of countless actions just doesn't really work for me. And when it goes on for half an hour combined with a score that totally doesn't interest me, I lose interest.