Brand New Tintin samples appear on Cinezik.org, Amazon and Qobuz

eitam

These sound great! Sounds like Williams really made an effort to cover ground he's never covered before. These samples suggest that more than the other ones.

This may have been mentioned, but does anybody find the theme heard in "Escape from Karajsldfkjsldkfjsldkfjlskdjf" to be very similar to his theme for Great Performances?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it makes the movie ten times better than it might have been without it then I'll be calling the score terrific whilst ditching the "relative" part of Hlao's post.

I need to hear it within the context of film before deciding on its fate.

This may have been mentioned, but does anybody find the theme heard in "Escape from Karajsldfkjsldkfjsldkfjlskdjf" to be very similar to his theme for Great Performances?

Interesting catch indy4. The Tintin main theme does indeed bear some resemblance to that theme.

These are quite good.

What we don't have yet is a sense of flow and the musical journey. Once that's in place I think this will sound really special.

Well, it seems that track 18 is a standalone development of the piratey music and not a quick sampling of themes from the movie. I find that to be positive news.

I think I have figured it out... The Adventure Continues is Haddock's Theme on a very high speed! Listen Captain Haddock Takes the Oars and The Adventure Continues back to back. If I'm not mistaken I think it's basically the same theme! I'm probably wrong, buy maybe someone can confirm.

It's not virtually the same theme, but I believe they are very similiar. Specially considering the piratey context Jason mentioned...

Some nice timbral variety but fails to break any new ground. Sounding like another solid but unremarkable effort from Williams.

Let me ask. What would any new ground be?

Not new in the Sacre du Printemps sense of the word, but new in the context of his oeuvre -- something like "The Mecha World" from A.I. or "The Conspirators" from JFK.

A thought about Clash of the Cranes

It reprises thematic material from Sir Francis and the Unicorn, so being this scene the one, I reckon, that is the final confrontation of Tintin & Haddock vs Sackarine, it could symbolize some kind of pararel of the conflict their respective ancestors had centuries ago

A thought about Clash of the Cranes

It reprises thematic material from Sir Francis and the Unicorn, so being this scene the one, I reckon, that is the final confrontation of Tintin & Haddock vs Sackarine, it could symbolize some kind of pararel of the conflict their respective ancestors had centuries ago

Maybe that melody is both for Rackham and Sakharine. I'm betting they're using Haddock's theme for Sir Francis

If it makes the movie ten times better than it might have been without it then I'll be calling the score terrific whilst ditching the "relative" part of Hlao's post.

I need to hear it within the context of film before deciding on its fate.

To the extent that the sample music we have is representative, I don't think musically speaking this is a home run for Williams by any stretch of the imagination. But I agree that my ultimate impression, as always, will be shaped by the music's relationship with the film, as well as its narrative arc as presented on album.

Indeed, although for me the album presentation of the score and its effectiveness in that form is of far less importance. Nowadays I'm resigned to see anything remotely resembling a decent album listen as a major bonus.

To the extent that the sample music we have is representative, I don't think musically speaking this is a home run for Williams by any stretch of the imagination.

It certainly is more fan service (presumably to Spielberg's delight) than part of the 'Innovators of the 21st Century' circle, but at this point, who really cares? (especially at this board :sigh: )

To the extent that the sample music we have is representative, I don't think musically speaking this is a home run for Williams by any stretch of the imagination.

It certainly is more fan service (presumably to Spielberg's delight) than part of the 'Innovators of the 21st Century' circle, but at this point, who really cares? (especially at this board :sigh: )

You obviously seem to care a lot since you roll your eyes at us familiarity craving rubes.

I recommend that you should really listen to Williams' concert hall output of late. That is some excellent different kind of Williams there. You might like it. Definitely not the same old same old.

The core of what Williams is as a composer is in every one of his scores old and new. His stylistic traits are very much the same in genre of adventure and action with minor alterations depending on the subject matter. I know some people would like him to change his style every time he scores something but is that going to happen. He writes the best he can for the films he does and if that is not satisfying to people then it is not. I think it's nice to hear a composer try new things but if that is the measure of how good the music is then you can expect to be disappointed every time with most composers. After 50 years of music and no matter how hard you try to change your writing you are invariably going to sound the same to the long time fans. Some people think this is a good thing as the music speaks to them in a positive way and has that air of familiarity, some people view this as boring stagnation, the composer giving up and playing it safe.

It is strange that enjoying a Williams adventure score with his mannerism and trademark sounds has become such a burden to some fans. I guess you can say you have heard it all before but perhaps you should then move on if you are only going into the musical experience with furrowed brow from the get go. I am just sorry that Williams proves to be a disappointment to you year after year.

It is strange that enjoying a Williams adventure score with his mannerism and trademark sounds has become such a burden to some fans. I guess you can say you have heard it all before but perhaps you should then move on if you are only going into the musical experience with furrowed brow from the get go. I am just sorry that Williams proves to be a disappointment to you year after year.

Is your reading comprehension disabled? I said 'nobody cares' and included myself. If you want to take a piss at someone, take Hlao, who started this or just accept that not everyone is dancing around like a merry goblin on this matter.

Jeez, some of you here really are tight with this stuff.

Well, when you use the rolling eyes emoticon after saying something that could be reasonably construed as an insult to a large group of people, it's no wonder people think you're making an attack...seems like a perfectly reasonable interpretation to me.

Thanks for hammering the point in publicist so that I understood you correctly. Point taken.

And again on the Adventures Continues (Dueling pirates) theme. I am getting a very Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra type of feel from the music. It is perhaps not as driving but is a similar kind of catchy secondary motif like the scherzo.

P.S. Thanks Jason for those links to the other threads. I still marvel how you keep this all together and remember where everything was mentioned. There is so much stuff going on most people are bound to miss some thread of the conversation like the Great Performances theme similarity. Good work!

Well, when you use the rolling eyes emoticon after saying something that could be reasonably construed as an insult to a large group of people, it's no wonder people think you're making an attack...seems like a perfectly reasonable interpretation to me.

It smiles, doesn't it?

Is your reading comprehension disabled? I said 'nobody cares' and included myself. If you want to take a piss at someone, take Hlao, who started this or just accept that not everyone is dancing around like a merry goblin on this matter.

Well, I think that's a bit unfair. Over time I've learned to see the eternally gleeful optimism exhibited by veterans such as Incanus and Josh500 as an important and welcome balance to the many cynical minds who reside here, myself included. ;)

Well, I think that's a bit unfair. Over time I've learned to see the eternally gleeful optimism exhibited by veterans such as Incanus and Josh500 as an important and welcome balance to the many cynical minds who reside here, myself included. ;)

That goes without saying. :remykiss: (hopefully the right one this time)

It's great to hear this, but after all these years I think I'll miss a big catchy theme like Hedwig's. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but all the reviews read as far point this way.

I think we will get a really long and dramatic theme for War Horse later this year at least. And I am sure Tintin's will sound stronger after we have heard the entire CD.

That goes without saying. :remykiss: (hopefully the right one this time)

Well that leaves very little room for interpretation. Or does it...

It's great to hear this, but after all these years I think I'll miss a big catchy theme like Hedwig's. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but all the reviews read as far point this way.

Maybe you find it here?

http://www.amazon.de/The-Adventures-of-Tintin/dp/B005VSLTJ2/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1318668667&sr=1-2-catcorr

Maybe you find it here?

http://www.amazon.de...&sr=1-2-catcorr

Ooh more clips! More!

After another sample Snowy's theme reminds me of the Tennis Game from the Witches of Eastwick because of the playful piano work in it.

And it has to be said that the score, as noted before, seems highly thematic with significant melodies for the characters making constant appearances through out these clips.

These are really great. Like I already said, I think this is on the same level as PoA, quality-wise.

I hear influences from Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Terminal, Hook, and Harry Potter.

Especially the new clip from "Introducing the Thomson" is reminiscent of The Terminal... :)

Maybe you find it here?

Ooh more clips! More!

After another sample Snowy's theme reminds me of the Tennis Game from the Witches of Eastwick because of the playful piano work in it.

And it has to be said that the score, as noted before, seems highly thematic with significant melodies for the characters making constant appearances through out these clips.

There's a new cover! More like Roald's version.

And it's up on the uk site too. But now we have only 18 tracks as we feared. Gone are Picking Pockets and Thirst. The same as the German version.

Maybe you find it here?

Ooh more clips! More!

There's a new cover! More like Roald's version.

And it's up on the uk site too. But now we have only 18 tracks as we feared. Gone are Picking Pockets and Thirst. The same as the German version.

Yes the new cover was uncovered about a week ago on another site. It is only now that Amazon has gotten the info it seems.

After listening to the whole of Faleel's suite of samples I find myself getting quite excited about this. Already I know I'm going to be into this score far more than I ever was Indy IV (I remember being VERY disappointed early on by that). Hearing these extended clips has reminded me of Williams' mastery of music and the orchestra - the little flourishes, the playful rhythms and precision-placed beats are just so bloody smooth and silky to listen to, it's just a complete pleasure to hear him doing his thing again. I actually feel lucky that I'm getting another score from him in the style of the genre he's best suited to - a gift made even sweeter by the sense his heart is in it this time.

Gushing aside, the only downside is that the score appears to be more The Lost World than Jurassic Park in terms of recording acoustics and performance quality. But maybe 320kbps will change my mind.

Roll on the end of the month, I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie.

As you said it is a joy to hear Williams doing what only he can do with his mastery of the orchestra. Part of that is the old fashioned manipulation of the themes he has written where he turns Haddock's inebriated comedic material into something quite warm and noble in the Captain's Counsel or Tintin main theme into mysterious underscore in the Sir Francis and the Unicorn as heard in the Amazon clips.

Hey I've just had an idea: maybe they should just forget the official album presentation and instead release the various samples available, as edited together by Faleel. Thor would no doubt find it to be the perfect concept album ;)

Hey I've just had an idea: maybe they should just forget the official album presentation and instead release the various samples available, as edited together by Faleel. Thor would no doubt find it to be the perfect concept album ;)

Actually by his own logic he wouldn't have a choice but to love it if it was the composer/producer edition since that is what Williams meant for us to hear. :lol:

And in my previous comment about the variation of the thematic material the gist was that Williams' thematic writing is so clear that you can hear it even in the 30 second clips pretty well.

Do the new clips of Presenting Bianca Castafiore include any original Williams' material apart from that operatic aria?

It seems no. It is indeed just the aria Je veux vivre, from Gounod's Romeo et Juliette in the clips. I found that a bit disappointing but it is such a small hick-up in the album assembly I will let is slide without huge complaints.

3- and-half- minute-long opera sequence? That seems kind of unusual. It either plays in the background or must contain some bits of original score, in my opinion.

Yes.

But then, the JFK OS album contained Mozart's "Concerto #2 For Horns And Orchestra" in its entirety.

So it would be nothing new.

Not to be nit picky but that was just one movement of the concerto on the JFK CD. :P

But I found the inclusion of the aria on the Tintin OST a bit surprising.

Well, yes, but that one movement lasts 6:30 minutes!

Btw, do we know for sure that that aria track has no JW involvement whatsoever? A short cue at the beginning or the end, etc.

I am thinking here of the Chopin mazurka in EOTS, which JW himself embellished to great effect...

Btw, do we know for sure that that aria track has no JW involvement whatsoever? A short cue at the beginning or the end, etc.

I am thinking here of the Chopin mazurka in EOTS, which JW himself embellished to great effect...

Yes a good example of a succesful integration of the existing piece of music into the score material. And we know Renée Fleming and the 60 odd piece orchestra recorded for the film so JW was involved in that respect. Williams himself did not conduct the aria sessions though but observed the recording from LA via polycom with Spielberg.

Fleming btw recorded her solo section in RotK the same way, half a world away from London where the recording sessions were taking place.

Yes a good example of a succesful integration of the existing piece of music into the score material. And I think Reneé Fleming and the 60 odd piece orchestra recorded for the film so JW was involved in that respect. Williams himself did not conduct the aria sessions though.

And another example would be the Rosenkavalier Waltz in A.I., of course...

But I can't think of too many examples where JW actually combined his own music with existing classical pieces...

Hey, one thing!

The MP3 downloads become available on October 21 (as opposed to Oct. 24 for OS album)! That's in 6 days!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Adventures-of-Tintin/dp/B005VS9VII/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318671426&sr=301-1

But I can't think of too many examples where JW actually combined his own music with existing classical pieces...

In Witches of Eastwick, he leads from an orchestral tutti from Dvorak's cello concerto into a coda incorporating Dvorak's theme and one of his own from the score... for me one of the best (and best-working) examples of a merge of this kind :)