Star Trek Beyond (2016 Justin Lin) - The Big Bad Star Trek (X)III Thread

BLUMENKOHL

Is there any reason to think that it won't?

The Transformers writers are out and no lens flares. As long as Justin Lin doesn't turn it into Fast & Furious with Star Trek characters, it has to be better.

Apparently a teaser trailer for this was briefly online and then pulled down by Paramount?

Anybody got a working link?

Conspiracy theory?

Bob Orci, writer on Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek Into Darkness, supposedly wrote the latter film the way he did because he's a hardcore 9/11 truther. I'm under the impression he believes in a number of other "conspiracy theories," alternative histories, etc as well.

I might watch this in the hope that it's not as incredibly boring as other Trek movies I've seen, but eh.

You mean like Star Trek Into Darkness?

Actually, the final draft is much different in tone than what Orci originally wanted - which was that all of Starfleet was corrupt, not just one crazy Admiral. Other drafts smoothed it out and the fallout over it seemed to be the reason Orci is now persona non grata in Hollywood :\

It looks like a Sci-Fi Channel original Babylon 5 movie. And what is with the fucking Beastie Boys?

Really? Is there really a fucking song in the trailer? Should I not bother watching?

I'm hoping for the best, but I'm surprised that this trailer doesn't fill me with positivity. But yes Giacchino will no doubt give us something fun and great. The fact that Simon Pegg wrote this is very encouraging though.

I heard there was a script written by the original guys who wrote the others and then they left and Pegg came in and did rewrites. So the writing style and quality will be of the last two films with an added flavour of Pegg's wit. Should be well written.

Finally watched the trailer.

It's one of those fast-cutting teasers that doesn't REALLY give you a great idea of what the film will be like. It seems to focus on one part of the film.

I think it'll be a fun action space film like the first two. I think the people wanting a classic Trek feel will be even more disappointed than the first two.

What the hell did I just watch? If the studio is so scared by the idea of making an actual f'ing Star Trek film then don't bother. I hope that the trailer is in no way representative of the movie, but since I have no clear reason to believe that's true then I have no positivity on this.