Star Trek Beyond (2016 Justin Lin) - The Big Bad Star Trek (X)III Thread

BLUMENKOHL

Hearing there was a trailer I hot-footed there and thence here. Did I imagine Earth again? This woman with the face painting reminded me of the Aenar from Enterprise. Otherwise it looks terrifically awful. If Shatner's in there somewhere it must be at the end to kill alternate Kirk.

Just watched that trailer. Truly awful. How can they make a Star Trek movie without any Star Trek in it?

Shatner can finally be at peace. We won't have Final Frontier to kick around as the worst Trek movie much longer.

They are running out of ideas. We've already seen a beam up with a hard landing on the pad. And why does that female Alien remind me of those elfen adversaries in Hellboy II?

I just don't see that there's anywhere they can take this franchise. Realistically, what could this or a future one be about that it's any way a worthy story or development for these characters, who are basically just send-ups of the original series crew?

Just stop with the pretentious titles.

We didn't go 'into darkness' in the last one, and we almost certainly won't go 'beyond' this time.

What's wrong with 'Star Trek 2' and 'Star Trek 3'?

Star Trek 2 and 3 already exist, they're called The Wrath Of Khan and The Search For Spock.

Yeah, that'd be too confusing. Like when they called the First Blood sequel Rambo: First Blood Part II, the third one Rambo III and the fourth one just Rambo.

Can't wait for Rambo Balboa.

Yea but there were 4 other credited writers at the end there!

Just because Orci and his team were credited doesn't mean Pegg & Jung used much, if any, of the original drafts. There's some sort of weird WGA rule or arbitration clause that enables the past writers to get screen credit. I think there's a general rule if a writer(s) pen the 'greenlight' draft, they get credit even if another writer tosses out their script and writes the shooting script from scratch.

Six writers for these NuTrek movies? Six??

Children of Men had six credited writers. Numerous writers doesn't always mean a clusterfuck.

Yeah, that'd be too confusing. Like when they called the First Blood sequel Rambo: First Blood Part II, the third one Rambo III and the fourth one just Rambo.

V: The Rambo?

Karol

Yea but there were 4 other credited writers at the end there!

Justin Lin was perplexed at the previous writing team getting screenplay credit too: "I don’t know. Yeah, WGA’s gotta figure it out because I never met the, I don’t even know who the writers are. I never met them. … I came on and I had an idea and then they came on and then it was January and we were shooting in June. … And I talked to Orci. One conversation after I came on. And that was it."

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-beyond-criticisms/3/

"...and the one thing I wanted to make sure is that it hopefully represents that we are trying to be bold and take risks; whether we are successful or not, I don’t know."

Dude, I just need you to make a Star Trek movie. Star Trek movies can be good or bad or somewhere in between, but it should still be a Star Trek movie.

Like most people, director Justin Lin is well aware of the problems the last Star Trek movie, Into Darkness, faced and has come up with a way to combat those issues with his new film, Star Trek Beyond.

Yes: coming up with other problems for people to moan about!

On 12/16/2015 at 11:49 AM, Stefancos said:

Sabotage is a great song!

it truly is terrible. 

What complete and utter looking crap. 

At least the turkey legged Enterprise gets killed. 

The pay per view Star Trek series pisses me off too. 

On 12/16/2015 at 1:50 PM, Jay said:

what a misleading title as it does not ignore Into Darkness. But it would be better if it ignored 2009.

I meant that we'll have this tone until we change the cast.  I have no issues with the cast either, but if you want a serious change in the way these films are being made, then you need a new cast.  Not sure anyone in the studio system or audience will accept a 180 degree change in style/tone with the same people on board the Enterprise.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2015 at 3:31 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I would have suggested this jokingly in the past, but I now think I'd genuinely like to see a Nolan Star Trek, as long as it's written by some Trek veterans.

The only thing worse than a Michael Giacchino ST score would be a Hanz Zimmer Star Trek score

Why does everybody want everything rebooted by Nolan? He did good on the Batman films, yes, but it was a reinterpretation of the franchise. You would get that if he did any reboot and I think it would piss off a lot more of you than you think.