The Thomas Newman Thread

Jay

inspired by John Lennon’s & Yoko Ono’s song Happy Xmas (War Is Over) and centers on a chess game played across enemy lines with the help of a heroic carrier pigeon. Lennon & Ono also serve as executive producers and ElectroLeague CEO Brad Booker is producing the project

What? He's alive? Oh I think they probably mean one of his sons.

It was a typo on FMR's website.  They've fixed it now to this:

Ono also serves as executive producer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just noticed that Newman is credited on both Wikipedia & IMDB as the composer of Yorgos Lanthimos' new film Kinds Of Kindness.

Has this been known for a while, because I missed an announcement. Or is it just speculation?

11 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I just noticed that Newman is credited on both Wikipedia & IMDB as the composer of Yorgos Lanthimos' new film Kinds Of Kindness.

Has this been known for a while, because I missed an announcement. Or is it just speculation?

It's been known since it appeared here in 2023:

https://www.gsamusic.com/wp-content/uploads/Newman_Tom.pdf

(The film's been retitled from "And" to "Kind of Kindness" since then)

10 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

After POOR THINGS being such a success at the Oscars (and financially), maybe Lanthimos will stay with Jerskin Fendrix. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, DangerMotif said:

It seems like it’s a straight to Hulu movie 

Thats a shame if it’s not being released in cinemas this year. Is there confirmation? 

Not sure if we might get a third film from Tom this year along with White Bird. 

Wonder if this was the reason he didn’t continue with Kinds of Kindness

6 hours ago, cwg24 said:

Maybe it’s an April Fool’s Joke…

But IMDB is showing Thomas Newman as composer for an upcoming documentary called TIGER

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt31497750/?ref_=nm_flmg_unrel_1_com

Would be nice if it's true; Disneynature has yielded some quality scores.

I'll certainly take more Indian-flavoured Newman! 

The director has previously worked with Ramin Djawadi (Elephant) and Harry Gregson-Williams (Penguins, Monkey Kingdom) so it's not implausible - Disney isn't skimping on the music budget, at least. If it does happen it will be a good excuse for Jon Burlingame to invite Newman back on his For Scores podcast.

White Bird feels so far away, and even considering the Hollywood strike the release schedule is bizarre. Why release it only in Italy, Slovenia and Croatia in January and then sit on it for 10 months? Just delay it everywhere.

1 hour ago, Quppa said:

The director has previously worked with Ramin Djawadi (Elephant) and Harry Gregson-Williams (Penguins, Monkey Kingdom) so it's not implausible - Disney isn't skimping on the music budget, at least. If it does happen it will be a good excuse for Jon Burlingame to invite Newman back on his For Scores podcast.

White Bird feels so far away, and even considering the Hollywood strike the release schedule is bizarre. Why release it only in Italy, Slovenia and Croatia in January and then sit on it for 10 months? Just delay it everywhere.

That’s good there’s a possibility it could be accurate and we get a new TN score at the end of this month. 

White Bird baffles me so much, it’s the worst release schedule plan. So many countries have had it released yet no score release yet. The late October date for the USA and nothing yet for the UK is a strange one.

6 hours ago, Quppa said:

If it does happen it will be a good excuse for Jon Burlingame to invite Newman back on his For Scores podcast.

It would be cool, but that podcast is done. Williams was his final guest. He's doing a podcast for Dolby now I believe 

• 2 weeks later...

https://filmstories.co.uk/news/in-the-blink-of-an-eye-digging-into-wall-e-director-andrew-stantons-ambitious-upcoming-sci-fi/

Really interesting article about Newman’s next film. Seems really suited to his strengths, especially the lack of dialogue in places and the description of the tone of the end of the script. A nice read…

Although I'm not as big a fan of his WALL-E score as everyone else (although I adore the film), and thought PASSENGERS only had moments of brilliance, I'm still excited to hear more sci fi Newman.

Wall-E is a beautiful score but with an album that would've benefitted from a little bit of trimming.

Passengers... hmm. It has bits that work very well on album but it's largely a background thing for me. Also messes with chronology in a way that bizarrely loses you narratively but also doesn't seem to me to help with the listening experience either. I'm not sure what Newman was trying to do here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/04/2024 at 12:50 AM, cwg24 said:

Maybe it’s an April Fool’s Joke…

But IMDB is showing Thomas Newman as composer for an upcoming documentary called TIGER

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt31497750/?ref_=nm_flmg_unrel_1_com

No Newman, after all - Nitin Sawhney had scoring duties for this. There's an album out now.