2013 Summer Boxoffice Thread

JoeinAR

What will top the Summer Boxoffice, and how much will it gross?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What film will be the 2013 Summer Boxoffice champion

• Oblivion, 4-19
    • Pain and Gain, 4-26
    • Iron Man 3, 5-2
    • The Great Gatsby, 5-10
    • Star Trek into Darkness, 5-15
    • Fast and Furious 6, 5-24
    • Hangover 3, 5-24
    • Epic, 5-24
    • Now You See Me, 5-31
    • After Earth, 5-31
    • This is the End, 6-12
    • Man of Steel, 6-14
    • Monsters University, 6-21
    • World War Z, 6-21
    • White House Down, 6-28
    • Dispicable Me 2, 7-3
    • The Lone Ranger, 7-3
    • Pacific Rim, 7-10
    • Turbo, 7-17
    • Reds 2, 7-19
    • The Wolverine, 7-26
    • Disney's Planes, 8-9
    • Elysium, 8-9
    • Kick Ass 2, 8-16
  2. 2. How much will the 2013 Boxoffice Champion earn?

• 600 million plus
    • 500 to 599 million
    • 400 to 499 million
    • 300 to 399 million
    • Nothing breaks 299 million this year.
  3. 3. What is likely to be the biggest bombs of the 2013 Summer Boxoffice

with so many of the upcoming movies trailers looking like shit, Iron Man 3, Star Trek, Man of Steel, World War Z, and Lone Ranger, it would be refreshing for a film like Now You See Me turn heads and draw huge crowds.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no colon - the name of the movie is "Star Trek Into Darkness", not "Star Trek: Into Darkness" (The Varese Sarabande website is also wrong)

Star Trek Into Darkness. Not Star Trek: Into Darkness, or Startrek Into Darkness.

No colon, four words. Capital S, small t, small a, small r, space, capital T, small r, small e, small k, space, capital I, small n, small t, small o, space, capital D, small a, small r, small k, small n, small e, small s, small s

that article could have been written by any number of us from this site. It basically says about Man of Steel what quite a few of us here have been saying about MOS and the Jusitice League.

the better MOS does at the boxoffice, the better WB is in allowing the Justice League.

As for a Flash Movie, I'm all for it.

My soundtrack will still call it Star Trek XII or 12 or something like that (before Into Darkness) to keep it chronologically with the other movies. I will probably have over 50 Star Trek albums on the iPod when it's all done and said.

After Earth's release has been moved up a week.

Aparantly Man of Steel's word of mouth is at fault here. For MOS that is a good thing.

on a world wide note which is really beyond this thread's scope Iron Man 3 made 198.00+ million overseas.

boxoffice mojo predicted Iron Man 3 to be #1, with Dispicable Me 2 to finish #2 and Man of Steel #3.
I do not see Dispicable Me finishing anywhere close to #2 this summer.

Agree, that's a weird pick by them

They don't think Star Trek 2 will be one of the top 3 grossing films of the summer in the US? Weird.

I don't think Star Trek Into Darkness will be in the top 2 either, I'm thinking Iron Man 3, Monster Univ. and MOS.

Star Trek will have an exceptionally strong opening though but will drop the standard 50% the next week.

I expected that. Looks like we just might be getting 5 billion dollar grossing films this year.

I expected that. Looks like we just might be getting 5 billion dollar grossing films this year.

and what 5 films do you expect to do that?

Iron Man 3, Star Trek Into Darkness, Man Of Steel, Monsters University, and ???

I guess either Despicable Me 2, Lone Ranger, Pacific Rim, or Wolverine?

and what 5 films do you expect to do that?

Iron Man 3, Star Trek Into Darkness, Monsters University, Man of Steel, The Hobbit 2: Desolation of Smaug

I wasn't just talking about summer films. I was talking about the year as a whole.

I'd gathered that, I don't see Star Trek doing anywhere near that well,

Star Trek doesn't have 3D, does it? It can't possibly reach that level without 3D.

It's in 3D, yes. But are several movies that reached $1 billion without it.

Star Trek is not going to reach $1 billion worldwide.

Iron Man is doing incredible in China. Mainly because the film has been China-edited for that market...including new villains and more scenes. BASTARDS!

Star Trek 2009's foreign gross was less than half of it's domestic gross.

still I expect the film Into Darkness to probably finish higher than #7 like ST 2009

Iron Man is doing incredible in China. Mainly because the film has been China-edited for that market...including new villains and more scenes. BASTARDS!

Kinda sounds like the extra Chinese footage is just silly product placement...

http://www.businessinsider.com/chinas-version-of-iron-man-3-2013-5

Kinda sounds like the extra Chinese footage is just silly product placement...

http://www.businessinsider.com/chinas-version-of-iron-man-3-2013-5

AND THE NEW VILLIAIN! THE MAN DAREN!

Yeah I dont see any summer film reaching anything close to 1 billion.

Iron Man three will reach that number by May 20. give or take a day or two.

it should pass the billion dollar mark even earlier than I thought. It looks like it will pass it tomorrow or Tuesday worldwide on it's way to 1.5 or more.

I'm anxious to read Box Office Mojo's weekend forcast for this weekend.

I don't see Star Trek doing Iron Man 3 numbers but I do expect 145 to 155 million, with Iron Man 3 second around 37 to 40 million.

I may be surprised though with Star Trek being released tonight at midnight and in general release tomorrow.

The reviews have been fresh on Rotten tomato but not exactly stellar individually, it's well below 8 on the average review. I've read some seriously harsh reviews by real Star Trek fans.

I could well be wrong and STID might blow the top off the boxoffice.

We'll be seeing it in the St Louis area Saturday night. My sister has already gotten us tickets. 8 bucks a piece, a far cry from Blume's virtual robbery.

FYI:

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2013-05-14-star-trek-starting-to-dominate-fandango

According to a Fandango survey of more than 1,000 "Star Trek Into Darkness" ticket-buyers, anticipation for the film is running high. Among the findings:

• 93% plan to see the film on opening weekend;
• 62% will attend the movie with a group of fellow "Star Trek" fans;
• 55% are already planning to see the movie more than once;
• 15% will be dressed in "Star Trek" attire at the theater.

As an exclusive bonus for Fandango ticket-buyers, fans purchasing "Star Trek Into Darkness" tickets on Fandango will receive a complimentary iTunes download of J.J. Abrams' 2009 "Star Trek" movie, while supplies last. See http://bit.ly/VEbvgQ for details.

Stefan, Iron Man 3 will likely pass 1 billion today!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-iron-man-3-billion-dollars-box-office-20130514,0,6812361.story

Any one here among the 15% of Americans who will be geeky or nerdy enough to go see Star Trek in some sort of Star Trek gear?

I can say I will not be.

FYI:

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2013-05-14-star-trek-starting-to-dominate-fandango

According to a Fandango survey of more than 1,000 "Star Trek Into Darkness" ticket-buyers, anticipation for the film is running high. Among the findings:

• 93% plan to see the film on opening weekend;

• 62% will attend the movie with a group of fellow "Star Trek" fans;

• 55% are already planning to see the movie more than once;

• 15% will be dressed in "Star Trek" attire at the theater.

People usually only buy tickets on Fandango when they plan to see it within the next few days (unless it's for a midnight premiere), so I don't think the first stat tells us very much. Also there are less walk-ins on opening weekend, because major blockbusters always have crowded opening weekends, so a higher percentage of movie goers are going to buy tickets online.

As an exclusive bonus for Fandango ticket-buyers, fans purchasing "Star Trek Into Darkness" tickets on Fandango will receive a complimentary iTunes download of J.J. Abrams' 2009 "Star Trek" movie, while supplies last. See http://bit.ly/VEbvgQ for details.

Lol, "while supplies last"?

Okay I'm shocked.

Despite my misgivings about the film Box Office Mojo is only predicting that Star Trek Into Darkness will take in 117 million today through Sunday, a far cry from my 145 to 155 million expectation, and they are thinking Iron Man 3 to take in 33 million versus my 37 million.

Now I'm anxious to see the real numbers.

Imax isn't everywhere, it's still very limited, there are none in my area, none in Memphis which is the closest big city. Little Rock has one, St Louis has several, but we're seeing it at a regular movie house. No 3D

Hah! Thursday $14 million.

I think this is going to be a flop Joey, unless there's a miracle today!

If this struggles to get to 75-80 million after 4 days, I'm calling Michael Giacchino the Unlucky Curse of Science Fiction.

First John Carter...now STID. ;)

Well if it does it proves something I've said before, Trek has limited appeal. There's a reason only one Trek film prior to 2009 grossed over $100 million.

It works on TV for a limited audience.