2013 Summer Boxoffice Thread

JoeinAR

What will top the Summer Boxoffice, and how much will it gross?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What film will be the 2013 Summer Boxoffice champion

• Oblivion, 4-19
    • Pain and Gain, 4-26
    • Iron Man 3, 5-2
    • The Great Gatsby, 5-10
    • Star Trek into Darkness, 5-15
    • Fast and Furious 6, 5-24
    • Hangover 3, 5-24
    • Epic, 5-24
    • Now You See Me, 5-31
    • After Earth, 5-31
    • This is the End, 6-12
    • Man of Steel, 6-14
    • Monsters University, 6-21
    • World War Z, 6-21
    • White House Down, 6-28
    • Dispicable Me 2, 7-3
    • The Lone Ranger, 7-3
    • Pacific Rim, 7-10
    • Turbo, 7-17
    • Reds 2, 7-19
    • The Wolverine, 7-26
    • Disney's Planes, 8-9
    • Elysium, 8-9
    • Kick Ass 2, 8-16
  2. 2. How much will the 2013 Boxoffice Champion earn?

• 600 million plus
    • 500 to 599 million
    • 400 to 499 million
    • 300 to 399 million
    • Nothing breaks 299 million this year.
  3. 3. What is likely to be the biggest bombs of the 2013 Summer Boxoffice

I hope Kick Ass 2 does well, at least better at the BO than the first film.

I think they made the sequel because KA did very well in home video sales

Hah! Thursday $14 million.

I think this is going to be a flop Joey, unless there's a miracle today!

If this struggles to get to 75-80 million after 4 days, I'm calling Michael Giacchino the Unlucky Curse of Science Fiction.

First John Carter...now STID. ;)

It was a Thursday. Most people probably didn't even realize it had been released yet. I went to the midnight show on Wednesday, they had four theaters showing it because they kept selling out. I don't think box office will be a problem. Will it be as big as Iron Man? Of course not, but it will do fine.

It has no appeal here, but I always figured it would have an easier time over there. Via pop-cultural osmosis or something.

It has a lot of appeal here. Theatre was packed when I went today.

$22 million Friday in the USA for STID.

ABANDON SHIP! ABANDON SHIP!

This may not make its budget back in just raw numbers domestically. Let alone actually break even for Paramount after everything here and worldwide is divvied up.

And it might mean no Deluxe Edition. ;)

Well that means the film will probably finish arounf $150 to $170 million. My preditctions for the 2009 film are now coming true for this one.

Regardless of what happens with this film, we'll get one more Trek film. Paramount will make a film for the 50th anniversary but Trek may go back on the shelf again.

It just doesn't have the appeal for some reason, and that's something that has affected every Trek film. No "splash" or "bang" that makes it the huge box office draw that Star Wars somehow managed to do, even with 4 or out the 6 films being average.

And to be fiar, Trek has had it's share of crappy films. And I'm not counting 2009 as one of them.

Star Trek seems to be in the uncanny valley of fantasy. Or maybe is just that the potential target audience is saturated and diverges attention to something else. I dunno.

I think you're being pessimistic about the box office. Wait until the run is over.

Well since everyone is so wrapped up with Rotten Tomatoes, Trek is at 86%.

The reviews have been kind / positive, it has the NSB approval, ;) so who knows.

I honestly thought this film would make a ton of money. Surprised that it isn't.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/star-trek-darkness-3d-opens-2m-night-imax-160603570.html

Not very good numbers. It's probably not going to surpass the $200 mark, especially with 3 "big" films opening next weekend, although Epic hardly looks epic, if you will forgive me for that.

However the foreign gross is up so hopefully that will give it a boost.

The 2009 film peaked people's interest. But general folks still don't want to associate with what they believe is a nerdy fixation, fearing they'll be infected by its siren-like call and start collecting every piece of Star Trek paraphernalia and eventually find themselves broke. It's like an addiction.

well I must say I am surprised. I figured it would do much better and I'm talking before I saw it and ragged on it.

Still it will break 200 million and be a solid hit. I think it's a very good film and worthy of big boxoffice, but next week brings in Hangover 3, and Furious 6.

Iron Man 3 will skim past 400 million but won't do anywhere never Avenger numbers.

Star Trek will break 100 million today, it will end up over the 200 million mark still, and will probably duplicate 2009 numbers. This weekend will be big boxoffice all the way around, which film dominates, I'm not sure.

Yea, 3 big films opening this weekend

I might see Oblivion tonight because it'll be gone from all my local theaters after today

it's the most egocentric film of Tom's career, it's okay as long as you don't think to hard on it.

oh yes it can.

don't read unless you want to be spoiled.

Tom Cruise's Character, gets to be the destroyer of Earth, the Savior of Earth, and gets cloned in the thousands perhaps millions. Katie Holmes do not see this movie

Best case scenario: Theres a near nothing chance it's word of mouth was so good it experiences nothing more than 30% drops from here on out. It is the highest reviewed summer wide release still.

The only movie to do that in recent memory is Inception. That went from $62 mill opening to $280 something total.

Looks like Furious 6 will make as much if not more than Star Trek 12.

Well as expected FF6 cleaned up with roughly $98 mil over the 3 day weekend.

Star Trek only dropped 45% with an estimated $38 million.

The Hangover III has to be considered a disappointment at on $42 million.

It's a very good, witty and funny film. I'm not surprised.

Karol

but there are so many better films out there. So many.

FURIOUS 6 out raced all other competitors.

Hangover 3 under performed majorly. Had perhaps one of the funniest endings ever.

Star Trek into Darkness is basically performing at the same pace as 2009. It will easily break 200 mil to move to blockbuster status.

STID is running about $5,300,000 behind the 2009 film.

STID's 12 day total is 155,827,000.00 while ST 2009's 12 day total was 155,536,131.00 so it's not only caught up but slightly surpassed it.

the actuals are in for the weekend and STID did slightly better than it was thought, while as G say hardly heroic, its doing well and may surpass 2009 in the long run. It is a better film IMHO but that doesn't put people in the theatre.

Oooh! Good news from China. STID seems to have had a 3.8M opening day there.

To put it in perspective, Star Trek (2009) made a grand total of $8.5M in China over its entire run.

I wonder if the China National Space Administration logo is helping Trek's popularity there:

150px-CNSA.svg.png

it's well advertised here. Hell you can't even go into Walmart without having to buy Monster University sugar cookies. they're scary delicious.

Is Monster University somehow related to Monster Inc?

Karol

it's a prequel.

Star Trek Into Darkness should break the 200 million mark in the next week or so.

No but it's domestic take will fall short of 2009's.

maybe but it won't be by much, and it might have longer legs