Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

I think Doug briefly announced he'd been hired to write the book and took out www.themusicofthehobbit.com, then later took all references down. But I could be remembering wrong.

I wonder what changed his mind...

And Jason, what exactly are we missing? New recordings of the Nazgul theme, Gondor Reborn, Breaking of the Fellowship, A Hobbit's Understanding, etc? Most of the missing music is largely rehash music, even up to some of the action passages. It's either that or extended minutes of certain cues like "Warg-Scouts" or more statements of the Misty Mountains (which all sound the same anyways). The remainder has been butchered, tracked or looped to fit the film. Frankly, I don't think any of that would be included in a CR set.

Having said that, there are definitely some moments I'd love to get my hands on like the Eagles music, the alternate Radagast stuff, and some of the choral music after the Nazgul rehash. But that'd be only a few cues, nothing worth compiling a massive CR package.

Are you joking? There is tons of great music in the AUJ film that isn't just rehashed LOTR stuff. The short cue leading up to Warg Scouts is one of my favorite cues in the film, the little cue where Gandalf departs the company is great, all kinds of stuff

The moments you mention aren't that significant though. I understand what you mean. But the CRs had a substantial amount of must-have cues that weren't on the OSTs. I don't think that's the case with The Hobbit.

Regardless, I'm pretty satisfied with the Special Edition. And I have a feeling that we were given that much music for the sake of one definitive set to purchase, instead of the millions of cash-milking albums that Reprise Records had going. I think its very possible that they made the Special Edition so that they would not have to release any CRs.

Which would be a questionable decision since it was more than foreseeable that the music in the film would be different from the soundtrack presentation. You are right however in the assumption that having 2 CD OSTs to begin with lowers the possibility of having CRs.

Still, I'm 102% sure that proper Complete Recordings for the three films would be significantly more revealing than the LotR CRs were.

What would be the point of releasing a Music Of The Hobbit book where we can't listen to the music he's writing about? Of course there will be CRs!

It works the other way 'round too, you know.

Meaning there'd be no point in releasing a book without CRs?

Then let's all buy multiple copies of both versions of the DOS and TABA OSTs to ensure CRs and a book!

I bought AUJ three times. The regular OST, the special edition for me, and the special edition as a gift.

By the way, who says you can't write a book analysing the score as presented on the OSTs? The major additions to AUJ that are thematic are either obvious or don't make sense.

Either way I agree with Jason, there are loads of cues I would like from the film, sure they're not all 'major' but much of the LOTR CR music wasn't major.

Uhm, no.

I would also just like a chronological score even with all the tracked music.

Don't ever say that again. Ever.

So if there is much greater consistency between the DoS album and the film score, and less tracking, what do we attribute it to? Less room to fall back on LOTR music? PJ being present at the recording sessions? The soothing influence of Conrad Pope?

I'm sorry, but the CRs of LotR all consist of "major" moments not on the OST. The destruction of Mordor, the entire Pelennor Battle, the Paths of the Dead, the Hornburg battle, Wraiths on Wings, Gandalf the White, the entire 12 minute TTT finale, the film version of the FotR prologue, the Mirror of Galadriel ... Almost no unreleased music in AUJ is as significant as those.

Me too, no doubt.

But instantly, I can only name two or three cues I would like NOW. The eagles finale, Radagast film version and ... Well, that's about it.

OK now Amazon (UK and US) says 2 discs for the regular OST as well. Interesting.

I hope they fill the discs up a little more this time.

And what they will do to justify the "special edition" label. Just more music, theme presentations again?

I hope they fill the discs up a little more this time.

And what they will do to justify the "special edition" label. Just more music, theme presentations again?

There was also fancy packaging and more extensive liner notes.

I really wish they'd announce the tracklist and stuff to stop this speculating.

I'm sure we'll get it all in less than a week.

I will hold you to your word Messenger.

Of course the situation from last year is radically different compared to what's going on this year, so I wouldn't keep my hopes up.

Of course the situation from last year is radically different compared to what's going on this year, so I wouldn't keep my hopes up.

Radically different? How so?

I don't think the way the score was written and recorded affects its marketing in any way.

Well, they are scoring approach to this film is as different as it gets from AUJ and the other LotR films...I mean isn't that what most of us spent the last 30 pages whining and moaning about? ;)

And couldn't that make a change for the better when the CD release PR schedules are concerned?

I always thought releasing the full score online for free a month before the CD released was a stupid PR move anyway. Samples, I understand, but the whole score? I think they were just trying to rebuild the hype for Middle-Earth last year after a 10-year absence. Now that everyone is back in the game, I don't see any reason to release the entire score again. I mean I'd love to see it happen, but doubt it'll be the case.