Star Wars ORIGINAL UNALTERED trilogy possibility(?) in HD!

filmmusic

I'm pretty happy with this, assuming it is correct.

One only needs to look at the Nlu-Ray release of Bambi to know that they are excellent when it comes to film restoration and presentation.

Of course it remains to be seen if Star Wars will feature Disney FastPlay. ;)

The 1997 version no longer exists!

It should be restored and released on Blu ray!

It's such a mess. There are many people who would rather just have the original Special Edition versions. Despite their many setbacks (as I view the changes), they weren't as ruined as the versions that came after, with prequel Anakin's head appearing as the hitchhiking ghost, Boba Fett ADR, aliens from The Phantom Menace all over Return of the Jedi, blinking Ewoks, awkward prequel Emperor scene in Empire, awkward Vader "No!" scene, "deliberate creative" alterations to the score, etc.

So, now, we like the 1997 Special Editions? We're making progress!

Maybe if Episode VII is really bad, people will say things like: "In retrospect, the prequels were not THAT bad... Jar-Jar is actually quite a funny character!"

Disney's track record in film restoration is a bit patchy. The Aristocats is one I've got where the video has been significantly noise reduced.

However Tron and The Rocketeer both look great.

I don't think you can compare them. You may still argue whether heavy noise reduction is appropriate or not for hand drawn animation, but at the very least the parameters are different to live film stock where the noise is already on the raw material, so to speak. You can make a good point about the look of animation being "intended" to be as close as possible to the actual drawn material, and that the noise is only byproduct of photographing it. Plus you have more freedom with noise filters because they don't necessarily corrupt the picture's details. I for one appreciate mostly noiseless animated classics, as long as they don't go overboard and cripple the actual drawings (which is why I never picked up the Blu of Sword in the Stone).

It seems like every second week there's a new story about how these cuts are coming and there's never a shred of proof. I don't really care anyway, I'm more than happy with the 2011 Blu-rays.

Disney's track record in film restoration is a bit patchy. The Aristocats is one I've got where the video has been significantly noise reduced.

However Tron and The Rocketeer both look great.

I don't think you can compare them. You may still argue whether heavy noise reduction is appropriate or not for hand drawn animation, but at the very least the parameters are different to live film stock where the noise is already on the raw material, so to speak. You can make a good point about the look of animation being "intended" to be as close as possible to the actual drawn material, and that the noise is only byproduct of photographing it. Plus you have more freedom with noise filters because they don't necessarily corrupt the picture's details. I for one appreciate mostly noiseless animated classics, as long as they don't go overboard and cripple the actual drawings (which is why I never picked up the Blu of Sword in the Stone).

These days, some people are hellbent on eradicating any evidence that something was exposed and captured on film. I just want new HD releases to be as true to the source as possible. Many do this well, some do not.

In general I don't mind noise if it's not excessive, but I also don't usually mind noise reduction as long *as it leaves the main image intact*. After all, having noise was rarely a purely artistic decision and rather a technical necessity. Of course, too many releases wildly overdo the DNR and ruin the image.

With "non live action stuff", I lean more towards noise reduction (again, provided that the image stays intact).

Why should an animated film warrant digital noise reduction any more than a live action film? I'd like an accurate representation of what audiences initially saw projected on screen. It should look like a film, not a Flash video.

Why should an animated film warrant digital noise reduction any more than a live action film? I'd like an accurate representation of what audiences initially saw projected on screen. It should look like a film, not a Flash video.

You mean with all the scratches and dirt? They are present in film projection from day one, you know...

I bought a used copy of the last VHS set released before the Special Editions were made. My family bought me a full frame VHS set of the Special Edition. Steef's post reminded me that I do own the individual DVD releases of the Prequels, but they are in storage. Blu-rays of the prequels have no appeal to me.

With the Despecialized version, I have no reason to buy a legitimate DVD or Blu-ray set of the OT until the original presentations are cleaned up and presented in a similar fashion, and if this story is true, I have some time before deciding how to spend.

You mean with all the scratches and dirt? They are present in film projection from day one, you know...

Smart arse.

True. Before my usual theatre switched to digital, most films were half destroyed on day one already.

What I want to see is an accurate representation of what was intended when the film was made. I've never been involved in making an animated film, but I'd expect they draw their frames the way they expect them to look (plus some post processing), and the noise is just a necessary but basically unwanted byproduct of the photography process.

Yada, yada, yada, ... I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here who didn't buy the Blu-ray set of the Star Wars franchise!

I bought the box last December in Amazon's Christmas sale. It's the only version of the films I ever bought, and after watching the SEs in 97, I'd seen the OT exactly once more, on TV (the SEs of course), cropped and dubbed.

I can't download them because my internet is too slow. And even if I technically could, the federal government would probably have me arrested because of its newly proposed data retention legislation.

Also, slow internet for the masses works in this government's favour because Rupert Murdoch would prefer everyone pay to have Foxtel than be able to stream online. Hence the significant scaling back on the NBN since the election of the Abbott government last year.

Smart arse.

Thanks sweetie, but it was a honest question.