It's amazing to me just how much interest this lesser-known, ragtag team of MARVEL heroes has sparked, especially in the midst of all the fervor surrounding Thor: The Dark World and Avengers 2: Age of Ultron. Thus, I figure it's only right that the Guardians have their home here on the forum and what better way to start it than a discussion of the recent but foreseeable choice of Tyler Bates to helm the film. Needless to say, I'm not so excited with that choice. If Thor: The Dark World's Alan Taylor's recent comments about MARVEL not letting him get his way with personal pick of composer Carter Burwell is any indicator, though, Bates probably won't last through post-production. Thoughts? Who would you rather see on board? (Hint, hint: Giacchino, Powell, especially Lockington)

Lol I always confuse the two.

I stand corrected.

I didn't realize they were two separate people until just now! ROTFLMAO

Don't ask me how this happened.

Why would anybody want to see this? It's from the same director of Fantastic Four.

James Gunn has directed Super and Slither, as well as writing the Dawn of the Dead remake and the two live action Scooby Doo movies.

From James Gunn's Facebook:

Grateful to be working with my favorite composer, Tyler Bates, on Guardians of the Galaxy. Unlike most films, Tyler writes huge chunks of the score first so that I can actually film to the music. During action scenes and huge dramatic moments we blare the score on set so that the cast, crew, and camera can move in harmony with the music. Music is often an afterthought in film, but never for us. And everything Tyler’s done so far has been amazing!

I figured Bates would end up scoring it but was hoping Marvel would step in and hire somebody else. It's funny how Marvel stepped in when an inspiring choice like Burwell was cast for the Thor sequel to replace him with Iron Man 3's Brian Tyler, but seem to be content with Bates. Especially since he's already written music for Gunn to film to. Whatever I'm still interested in the movie, however.

Tyler Bates is on a completely different plain of awfulness than Hans Zimmer. Hans Zimmer has actually done some great things but Tyler Bates done anything remotely good.

I actually liked some of the random cues he wrote for Watchmen, but I'm not what he's going to add to this film.

• 4 months later...

I'm pretty interested to see how this goes. I enjoyed Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 this year but I'm starting to feel "meh" about the whole Marvel thing (pretty much no interest in the new Captain America). I'm in two minds about it, I've enjoyed those films but a few days after seeing them I wasn't pumped for an Iron Man 4 or Thor 3. Even Avengers 2 isn't getting me that excited. We need something fresh. If Guardians works it could be just the spark needed to reinvigorate this franchise for me. If it fails it could be a bit of a disaster. At least they're willing to take a risk. I'd never have guessed in 2003 that 10 years later Marvel's biggest character would be Iron Man!

I'm pretty interested to see how this goes. I enjoyed Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 this year but I'm starting to feel "meh" about the whole Marvel thing (pretty much no interest in the new Captain America).

I've been feeling "meh" about Marvel for a long time.

whoever these things battle just need to remember that racoons are easy to kill with a car, or give it a bowl of water with a teaspoon of antifreeze. that will do it too.

This looks like boxoffice poison.

Actually, that looks like something worth watching. Just judging from that photo.

It looks silly and possibly entertaining.

so did Howard the Duck

• 2 weeks later...

Associate producer Jonathan Schwartz:

"When James Gunn came aboard he brought a completely unique visual sensibility to it, harkening back to pulpy '50s science fiction. One of the things that he mentioned in his original pitch was that science fiction as we understand it has become greyer and sleeker and blacker and darker, this kind of Blade Runner world. We all love Blade Runner but that's not all that science fiction can be, so the world that you're going to see in Guardians of the Galaxy is colorful and bright and pulpy, but it's also lived-in and grounded. And finding the balance between those two things is what's driving a lot of this universe."

Bright, colorful and pulpy, yet lived-in ... isn't that Star Wars (1977)?