Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

Bilbo

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Is that an intentional reference to the stammer of the chorus of The Who song?

No, my phone does weird things with autocorrect on this site. 

I did have the song song in my head as I was typing it though. How could you not? 

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

And now that I think about it, the stammer in the Who song is on the word 'generation', not the word 'my', so I didn't make any sense.

I do think the My is repeated towards the end. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Is there a good, in-depth interview with Rowling out there about this movie? One that's more than just promotional?

Not that I've seen, most I've found with her is a press conference:

Holding out hope that maybe one of the fansite podcasts will get ahold of her again eventually. LeakyCauldron.org's "Pottercast" managed to get 2 hours with her after Deathly Hallows back in the day.

Dammit, I'm getting more and more sucked into the world building/canon of this movie. Rowling shining through despite a problematic script and lackluster direction.  I do really like the period setting and set up for America's magical community.

This is kind of random, but man I love my avatar. That character manages to be both amusing and super cool at the same time. 

Haven't followed anything related to this score and I know there are 36 pages where probably the answer to my question is written down somewhere, but could someone help a lazy dog out here: does JNH quote any musical from Williams' Potter scores in this one..?

24 minutes ago, RPurton said:

One seems to link the series to HP in the opening, the other two may be references to places or scenarios from the HP films.

First one is over the WB logo. 

Second is when the Occamy hatches in the bank.

Third one is before they encounter the Erumpent. Apparently it's near the snake enclosure. 

I think I mentioned in another thread the theme probably was referenced because of the proximity to the snake enclosure. it's interesting but bizarre and unnecessary. 

"We had a quota of three Hedwig's Theme statements and could decided to shove the last one so we picked a scene at random". 

----or----

"NDAs guys! I can't explain now but all will be revealed in the next 2.... I mean 4 films." 

JNH was like: "fuuuu.....I need something to remind people this is still linked to HP..." *copy/paste, copy/paste* "hmm that'll work, David probably won't know the difference anyway..."

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Every time Hedwig's theme is quoted in the film, Johnny gets $50,000.

Most of the film's budget went into the Hedwig's theme quotes. That's why some of the special effects look a bit dodgy.

No wonder Yates demanded an end to Williams quotes in his films; it was coming out of his salary!

22 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Interesting choice. I agree.

I'm all for that guy or even Abrams. (An Abrams type movie would be great if it has a nice script. Once that's settled, you know you're going to have a great cast and ot's going to look good)

29 minutes ago, Brónach said:

I'm all for that guy or even Abrams. (An Abrams type movie would be great if it has a nice script. Once that's settled, you know you're going to have a great cast and ot's going to look good)

Yes!  Casting is almost certainly Abrams' single greatest strength.  And I think that his visual style is very underrated.  TFA especially has some truly striking compositions.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes!  Casting is almost certainly Abrams' single greatest strength.  And I think that his visual style is very underrated.  TFA especially has some truly striking compositions.

I'm not sure I'd say his visual style is spectacular or anything, but there's one thing I do like about it, and that's his films don't look fake (like Yates'), one of the reasons for that being that he doesn't go overboard with special effects (or at least knows how to use them properly).

Yea, I agree, his directing style, editing, and the way special effects are flawlessly integrated are his strengths (on top of casting, but I think of that as a casting director's job not the film directors).  He's not an auteur with anything special to bring to cinema that will influence others, but he's really good at making great popcorn entertainment.  The huge problem with a lot of his movies is the awful scripts he goes with

Personally, the fault I find across all Abrams films is that his storytelling/editing style is almost too fast-paced.  Sometimes, that zippiness works perfectly, but other times it seems like he has an inability to let scenes be slow when they need to be.  Most of his movies seem like they're hurtling at breakneck speed for the finish line.

That's a valid point, but at least he releases deleted scenes so we know what's been sliced, and maybe fans can re-integrate

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Personally, the fault I find across all Abrams films is that his storytelling/editing style is almost too fast-paced.  Sometimes, that zippiness works perfectly, but other times it seems like he has an inability to let scenes be slow when they need to be.  Most of his movies seem like they're hurtling at breakneck speed for the finish line.

I reckon the guy mainlines caffeine. It would explain so much. 

I'm really curious what his next film will be.

He no longer directs Mission: Impossible films

He no longer directs Star Trek films

He seems to no longer direct Star Wars films....

What's next?

5 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I reckon the guy mainlines caffeine. It would explain so much. 

That's for sure.  I watched with TFA with commentary and the man is like a spastic, twitchy rabbit.  Although Tarantino's personality is even more spastic, but he definitely knows when to let scenes play out slowly.  I mean just think of the bar scene in Inglourious Basterds.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Indiana Jones.

You shut your filthy muggle mouth. Again!

actually, I couldn't care less whether he directs it or not ?

Just now, Disco Stu said:

That's for sure.  I watched with TFA with commentary and the man is like a spastic, twitchy rabbit.  Although Tarantino's personality is even more spastic, but he definitely knows when to let scenes play out slowly.  I mean just think of the bar scene in Inglourious Basterds.

Tarantino is a much better director. You couldn't pay me to listen to an interview with either of them but I'd see a Tarantino film in a heartbeat before another JJ! 

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Not while Spielberg's alive!

Spielberg will almost certainly stop with IJ after 5. They're rebooting after that, Ford surely won't do it, and I think Spielberg will hand it over to someone. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if J.J. got first crack on the "new" series...

----------

Hmmm...

To see Fantastic Beasts again or not to see Fantastic Beasts again....

2 hours ago, Will said:

Spielberg will almost certainly stop with IJ after 5. They're rebooting after that, Ford surely won't do it, and I think Spielberg will hand it over to someone. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if J.J. got first crack on the "new" series...

----------

Hmmm...

To see Fantastic Beasts again or not to see Fantastic Beasts again....

Kathleen Kennedy or someone has categorically said that ONLY Ford will play Indy. The series might continue but with a different character.

Saw this too. I rather liked it. There are of course a lot of shortcomings. But the general film overall comes from a good place. As far as mercenary cash grabs go, this is one of the better ones. I am most struck by the writing - the dialog is not very good and the plotting is not super-tight, but it is something else - it is ambitious which by itself qualifies as something to celebrate. It's ambitious in the sense that for a first film in a franchise, and something not based on pre-existing material (this is for all purposes an original screenplay basically), it has rather multiple things going on. 

My major complaints with many blockbusters these days are how banal they are plotting wise. Doctor Strange's plot is rubbish basically - the most tedious unimaginative origin story you can imagine howevermuch you dress it in trippy visuals. 

This film is atypical in its multitude of criss-crossing subplots and characters which was a welcome change. This was also not a star driven film at all. It was a screenplay first and then it was cast and filmed. MOST franchise films these days are cast first and then the script is written or is heavily re-written to suit the cast. Not so here. There are no obvious star turns. And some of the supporting players turn in rather charming performances.

Which brings me to the movie's biggest shortcoming - Eddie Redmayne. Dear god he's hideous. You can't have done a good job when the audience wishes the lead character had ended up on the cutting room floor. I found him absolutely insufferable and annoying and the scenes where he was by himself were unbearable. Luckily there are always better supporting characters around to save the scenes.

This is exactly the same problem in the Harry Potter books which has a rogue's gallery of fantastic characters but a middling lead character. I absolutely think Rowling will greatly benefit if she gets a co-writer. The strength is her plotting. And a co-writer who help tighten things up a bit, hide the seams and punch up the dialog and make the pace more like a dramatic movie. If nothing else it will be another pair of eyes on the script before it is filmed and this surely needed that. It often plays like a first draft.

But a good first draft nonetheless. There is definitely some story-telling invention here. Yates work though is strictly standard issue though he does manage to craft some distinctive scenes. I really wish some other director even got a crack at this material. ANYONE. Let's change up things a bit. If we can get an outrageous jaw-dropping out of the box choice for president selected by 60 million people, surely a few warner bros execs can make a less safe choice for director of this material.

Just saw this.

Meh. Predictable and uneven with only a somewhat likeable group of protagonists going for it. Other than that, film lacks focus, personality and conviction. No real reason to see this really.