Bridge of Spies FILM discussion

mrbellamy

Well...the times when an american could direct a movie like THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD are long gone. There are speeches to be made - a lot of them, obviously - and Tom Hanks delivers them in deadpan Jimmy Stewart-style. Seems like hard work, too.

They try to sell it like it's the new Bourne. Imagine Hanks doing choreographed fighting!

In his expensive lawyer suit no less. I think most he will do is to talk his adversaries to sleep.

They try to sell it like it's the new Bourne. Imagine Hanks doing choreographed fighting!

All movie fights are choreographed.

Except for John Rhys-Davies. He just hacks people that come at him and takes them out!

• 2 weeks later...

I get the feeling that this line:

What's your next move if you don't know what the game is?

Indicates that when I eventually rent this, and get 2/3 through, I'll have absolutely no idea what's going on.

Come on, this isn't Serenity.

Meh. I just watched this new trailer, and the commercial from last week I hadn't seen yet. I just can't get excited for this film!

The basic premise seems like it should be compelling, yet for some reason all the footage in the trailers and spots just rubs me the wrong way. I dunno exactly why, but I just am not drawn into this movie at all. And I generally like everything Spielberg does.

Everything else he's been attached to in recent years seems way more compelling than this one!

Well, obviously mileage will vary. For what it's worth I like them both quite a bit, I just mean that it basically looks like pretty much every other recent Spielberg drama to me. Don't see how it looks substantially more or less compelling than the others, at least at this point.

I didn't mean literally just the look of the shots, I meant everything I'm seeing. I get the feeling the film will have a decent setup, then a long, middling middle act before hopefully a strong finish.

But it just doesn't look exciting to me. Maybe I'll be proven wrong. I dunno!

To me it does kind of seem like a cross between the two I mentioned, beyond just the look of course....say, the interior political discussions of Lincoln crossed with the suspense/espionage in Munich. Could be good, though Newman's score is definitely my biggest curiosity.

Meh. I just watched this new trailer, and the commercial from last week I hadn't seen yet. I just can't get excited for this film!

The basic premise seems like it should be compelling, yet for some reason all the footage in the trailers and spots just rubs me the wrong way. I dunno exactly why, but I just am not drawn into this movie at all. And I generally like everything Spielberg does.

Everything else he's been attached to in recent years seems way more compelling than this one!

Same here. Even when Williams was attached, I was totally apathetic to this project. This looks like a combination of Lincoln and Munich minus all of the elements that made those two interesting.

The BFG can't come soon enough...

I haven't watched the latest trailer, but based on the previous ones I think it looks great.

And while I wish Williams had scored this one instead of Star Wars, the fact that he works someone who's not Spielberg makes up for that.

I haven't watched the latest trailer, but based on the previous ones I think it looks great.

And while I wish Williams had scored this one instead of Star Wars, the fact that he works someone who's not Spielberg makes up for that.

Yes, and the fact that it's the most boring sounding Spielberg project in years (perhaps ever) helps too.

I'm telling you, guys: Williams left the project because he realized how big a snoozefest this movie was going to be.

"Bridge Of Spies, Steven? That's the title of the movie? Really? "We call it Constitution. And that's what makes us americans"? Really? You're gonna have to find yourself another composer, mate!"

I imagine that said in soft nigh apologetic John Williams tones.

First review of the film is in and it is positive: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/bridge-of-spies/review/

About the score: "The sequence is a masterclass in the kind of cool-headed, understated cutting that’s perversely great at ratcheting up suspense – the director’s long-time editor Michael Kahn is in charge – but unusually for Spielberg, there’s no score to help steer our emotional response. (Thomas Newman’s subdued soundtrack first arrives much later, around half an hour into the film."

Lol there was a(nother positive) David Edelstein review that was taken down as well (Edit: here's the cached page - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:www.vulture.com/2015/10/movie-review-bridge-of-spies.html

And the Telegraph review: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:www.telegraph.co.uk/film/bridge-of-spies/review/

Select mix of Twitter reactions: