Bridge of Spies FILM discussion

mrbellamy

It was assumed that he was going to score it but its nice to have some confirmation. Though if IMDB were always true, we'd be getting John Williams' Inside Out this coming summer.

I am however, on the lookout for The Good Dinosaur as Thomas Newman is no longer listed and one of JW's orchestrators, Alejandro de la Llosa is attached. I know its completely illogical (and unnecessary, considering that he's already attached to two films this year) but I guess I just really want to see a JW Pixar score.

It was assumed that he was going to score it but its nice to have some confirmation. Though if IMDB were always true, we'd be getting John Williams' Inside Out this coming summer.

I am however, on the lookout for The Good Dinosaur as Thomas Newman is no longer listed and one of JW's orchestrators, Alejandro de la Llosa is attached. I know its completely illogical (and unnecessary, considering that he's already attached to two films this year) but I guess I just really want to see a JW Pixar score.

3 movies within two months of each other would be pretty crazy, even for Williams, but that would be really cool. Looking at De La Llosa's other collaborations, Desplat is probably the most likely replacement. I could see Zimmer before Williams too, though I actually feel like Williams would be more likely than Howard Shore for a Pixar film.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That has a certain poetic ring to it, BRIDGE OF SPIES sounds as drab (and depressingly literal - it's a bridge...with spies crossing it!!) as these daily 30-minute features on History Channel.

Nameless Spy Movie would have been just fine. Or "Just Another Spy Movie".

Was it ever mentioned that apparently, this is an adaptation of a book?

http://www.theworks.co.uk/p/true-crime-books/bridge-of-spies---true-story-of-the-cold-war/9780857201638

9780857201638_S.jpg

Who were the three men the Soviet and American superpowers exchanged on Berlin's Glienicke Bridge on February 10, 1962, in the first and most legendary prisoner exchange between East and West? Bridge of Spies vividly traces the journeys of these men, whose fate defines the complex conflicts that characterized the most dangerous years of the Cold War.

Bridge of Spies is a true story of three men - Rudolf Abel, a Soviet Spy who was a master of disguise; Gary Powers, an American who was captured when his spy plane was shot down by the Russians; and Frederic Pryor, a young American doctor mistakenly identified as a spy and captured by the Soviets.

The men in this three-way political swap had been drawn into the nadir of the Cold War by duty and curiosity, and the same tragicomedy of errors that induced Khrushchev to send missiles to Castro. Two of them - the spy and the pilot - were the original seekers of weapons of mass destruction. The third was an intellectual, in over his head.

They were rescued against daunting odds by fate and by their families, and then all but forgotten. Even the U2 spy-plane pilot Powers is remembered now chiefly for the way he was vilified in the U.S. on his return. Yet the fates of those men exemplified the pathological mistrust that fueled the arms race for the next 30 years. This is their story.

51EuOmmm8RL.jpg

Edge of Tomorrow is a bad title, but apparently the movie is very good.

Loads of good movies have bad titles. Same as records and books.

That only means you have bad taste. That's why you no longer are bothered with bad titles. Everything you love probably sounds bad. You are used to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glienicke_Bridge

"Because the Glienicke Bridge was a restricted border crossing between the Eastern Bloc (namely Potsdam in East Germany) and territory affiliated with the Western powers (namely the American sector of West Berlin), the Americans and Soviets used it for the exchange of captured spies during the Cold War. Reporters began calling it the "Bridge of Spies."[3]

Edge of Tomorrow is a bad title, but apparently the movie is very good.

Loads of good movies have bad titles. Same as records and books.

That only means you have bad taste. That's why you no longer are bothered with bad titles. Everything you love probably sounds bad. You are used to it.

Nah, that's just your own snotty little view which is designed to mock and belittle, like the intellectual weakling who criticises the views of others because he cannot engage with them in more meaningful ways for fear of being found out as a phony.

Titles are actually just a simple matter of context.

For example: Conrad's Heart of Darkness is a great title for his story of the wild unknown and the darkest characteristics of the human condition, but it could just as easily be the name of an 80s straight-to-video murder thriller starring Brian Dennehy. The originally sonorous structure of the words at once find different, diminished meaning.

The capacity for words in a title to resonate are borne from the observer's own interpretation and understanding of them. Sometimes that is after the consumption of the literature or art within.

But I know all too well after all these years that you are the ultimate generaliser of the board, and it goes with the territory when exchanging sentences with you. You seem to revel in all that is shallow though, so don't expect me to ask you to break the habit of a lifetime :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glienicke_Bridge

"Because the Glienicke Bridge was a restricted border crossing between the Eastern Bloc (namely Potsdam in East Germany) and territory affiliated with the Western powers (namely the American sector of West Berlin), the Americans and Soviets used it for the exchange of captured spies during the Cold War. Reporters began calling it the "Bridge of Spies."[3]

Interesting!

• 1 month later...

Nah, what;s weirder is the intense and violent Marvel flicks in between all the kiddie flicks

That Disney logo does nothing to me but convey "made for little kids". Seeing it associated with SW just feels wrong.

Even seeing the WB logo on Clone Wars didn't feel as wrong, and that was definitely a kids' flick.

I still can't get my head around new Star Wars movies standing alongside all these Disney kiddie flicks.

Star Wars movies are kiddie flicks. You feel otherwise because you were a kid when the first batch was made, and now you've grown up but not out of them, and feel defensive.

Yup.

What's weird is seeing a Spielberg historical drama stand alongside all those kiddie flicks.