What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

6 hours ago, Drax said:

As a strong believer in free market capitalism, I'll approach this film with caution.

it has Ryan Gosling in it so its clearly a big pile of stinking shit.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alicia.vikander.png

The Danish Girl

Ugh. That was insufferable. It's a nicely dressed costume drama with all the complexity of a Transformers film. So much fluff with very little to say! Even Redmayne's performance did very little for me, striking me more as an amalgamation of well-done impersonations of feminine mannerisms than an in-depth study of what goes behind that process. Jeffrey Tambor in Transparent was a lot more effective in that regard. Other than that, it pretty much seems recycled from what we saw of him as Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything (in which I admired his performance very much). The film's only saving grace is Alicia Vikander's heartfelt performance as Greta. She was actually quite wonderful and emotionally nuanced, and the only one in this Oscar-bait crapfest worthy of a nomination. 

image71.jpeg (972×1440)

Room

Very well done film that hasn't actually stayed with me as much as I thought it would (watched it a few weeks back now).  It tells the story of a boy and his mother living in a very small home with no windows except a skylight and no door except a heavy metal one with a keypad lock.  When the boy turns 5, the mother starts to tell him more about the reality they are in..........

You shouldn't know any more than that and just see the movie.  A large part of its success is the twists and turns the plot takes.  Whether or not you like the second half as much as the first will vary greatly from person to person, I think.  I thought it was compelling and well-made, but nothing needing to be revisited again or lauded with lots of praise.

Other than the acting - the acting was great.  Brie Larson shines as the mother and Jacob Tremblay is just GREAT as the boy - I hope we see more of him.  

Joan Allen and William H. Macy were great too.  I found Macy's two scenes to be incredibly effective and realistic.

The more I think about it now that I'm writing about it, the more I think I liked it.  Maybe I will see it again.

Larson and Tremblay had incredible chemistry. It's actually one of my favourite films of the year. It was just nice, after a year of "big" movies and hard-hitting dramas, to have something much more intimate.

Just looked at the Redbox lineup.  Rogue Nation is the only one I really want to see.  San Andreas perhaps, but slim pickins all around.  Oooooh the new direct-to-shiteo Nic Cage movie is out!

12 hours ago, KK. said:

The film's only saving grace is Alicia Vikander's heartfelt performance as Greta. 

What?! And not Belgian star Matthias Schoenaerts?

He was good enough I guess. But doesn't have much material to work with really. Just a bit of a cardboard side character.

17 hours ago, KK. said:

alicia.vikander.png

The Danish Girl

Ugh. That was insufferable. It's a nicely dressed costume drama with all the complexity of a Transformers film. So much fluff with very little to say! Even Redmayne's performance did very little for me, striking me more as an amalgamation of well-done impersonations of feminine mannerisms than an in-depth study of what goes behind that process. Jeffrey Tambor in Transparent was a lot more effective in that regard. Other than that, it pretty much seems recycled from what we saw of him as Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything (in which I admired his performance very much). The film's only saving grace is Alicia Vikander's heartfelt performance as Greta. She was actually quite wonderful and emotionally nuanced, and the only one in this Oscar-bait crapfest worthy of a nomination. 

This did look very hot-button-PC-topic 'worthy and meaningful'. It's nice to hear somebody tell it like it is.   

The Hateful Eight (in 70mm)

Quentin Tarantino remains a master of dialogue. The Hateful Eight plays out like a slow-burning stageplay. The 70mm release has a full running time of 187 minutes (including an overture and a 12-minute intermission) but I wasn't bored for a second. You have to be exceptionally good at your craft to tell a story like this and keep it this riveting. The cast is fantastic and I loved the little mysteries and twists that occur throughout the story.

The 70mm looked great and the film is expertly shot by Robert Richardson. The intermission actually works quite nicely. I'm very glad I took the effort to see the film this way and would recommend others to do so as well. I may return to the cinema for a digital showing, just to see the difference, but the presentation I saw yesterday will probably remain my preferred version.

EYE in Amsterdam is showing it.

It's the only cinema in the Benelux to show it in 70mm.

Tickets here.

Good luck getting any at a reasonable time though. It's pretty much sold out for the next few weeks.

I'm annoyed because we had the 70mm version of Hateful Eight playing here in Providence and we were going to go..... but its already gone for some reason.  Only the short version / digital showings remain.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm annoyed because we had the 70mm version of Hateful Eight playing here in Providence and we were going to go..... but its already gone for some reason.  Only the short version / digital showings remain.

The roadshow version was a limited engagement that was only available before the film's wide release. 

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Shame. It's a great film.

I'm hoping the Blu-Ray will include both versions of the film.

This would be ideal, but I could see Tarantino keeping it an exclusive experience to the cinema. It took a long time before the theatrical cut of Grindhouse was released. 

It premiered at the same time here and is still showing. And it looks like it's far more popular than anticipated.

There are still people who love movies in the Netherlands!

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news/70233/_1426020006.jpg

Solid entry in what is shaping up to be a fairly consistent-in-quality franchise.  Couple of really nice action sequences with enough of a plot and intrigue to keep things moving.  I liked the Faust character and am curious if she'll become a new teammate in future films.  The score was good and I spotted a couple of "Nessun Dorma"from Turandot references peppered in scenes between Faust and Hunt as a pseudo-love theme.  Nice touch and it gave the entire film a cool musical through-line.

The OST album is great, you should check it out!

I too hope Ilsa comes back in the next entry.  I hope they bring back the other great female characters they've had in the series (Maggie Q from 3, Paula Patton from 4) too, that'd be cool

BTW, the image you put in your post is from MI4, not MI5 :P

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Does JT Cinema show the Intermission version? Or did they do what they usually do and just drop their snack break at some random moment?

They'll show the DCP, so I don't know if it'll be the "Intermission version". I think there was only a short Intermission title card, then 12 minutes of black (during which the Dutch subtitles counted down the minutes until the movie would resume). There's a short bit of music (on black) and then the movie simply resumed. I don't know how they handle this moment in the non-intermission version and I don't know if JT places their intermission there or at some other random point. I've only seen the 70mm version at EYE. Our local cinema here in Den Bosch is JT, so if I do go there for another visit, I'll let you know (but don't count on that happening soon).

2 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news/70233/_1426020006.jpg

Solid entry in what is shaping up to be a fairly consistent-in-quality franchise.  Couple of really nice action sequences with enough of a plot and intrigue to keep things moving.  I liked the Faust character and am curious if she'll become a new teammate in future films.  The score was good and I spotted a couple of "Nessun Dorma"from Turandot references peppered in scenes between Faust and Hunt as a pseudo-love theme.  Nice touch and it gave the entire film a cool musical through-line.

I went to bed when they all started to ride bikes. The average movie can't keep me awake any more. I admit, it was quite late, but that shouldn't be a problem. I was just not enticed enough to make it to the end.

The same goes for Haunter, Vincenzo 'Cube' Natali's last picture (before he became a TV series director). That one was actually very bad.

Alex

6 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

I liked the Faust character and am curious if she'll become a new teammate in future films.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

I too hope Ilsa comes back in the next entry.

On 9/12/2015 at 6:01 PM, BloodBoal said:

On 1/17/2016 at 10:21 PM, Jay said:

Rogue Nations great, with a great score!

more like good, and I don't remember a bit of the music.

4>3>5>1>2 which is terrible.

Joey check out the score on spotify or whatever you use; You seriously might like it.  It's completely old-fashioned scoring.

Creed - of the franchise, I'd only previously seen Rocky 4 (but having picked up a boxset of all 6 films in HMV's Black Friday sale, I will be rectifying this). It's not really necessary to be 100% au fait with them to enjoy Creed, though ... and I did enjoy it a lot.

Triumphantly 'punch the air' feelgood stuff ... perfect for this dismal month :) .

15 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

They'll show the DCP, so I don't know if it'll be the "Intermission version". I think there was only a short Intermission title card, then 12 minutes of black (during which the Dutch subtitles counted down the minutes until the movie would resume). There's a short bit of music (on black) and then the movie simply resumed. I don't know how they handle this moment in the non-intermission version

It just cuts to the next chapter.

11 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Awful film.  Too long, too much exposition, too many plot holes, too serious, too loud.  Nolan writes like shit and Zimmer fell asleep at his organ.

Quoted for future reference!

It felt like three different Star Trek or lesser science fiction episodes glued together into a three hour movie.  It took too long to get off Earth and by the time I concluded that the "aliens" were simply familiar faces in the future (Sphere...), I was dismayed there was at least an hour left in the movie.  Probably longer.  The music was obnoxiously loud, though I can't tell if that was a function of the sound mixing or simply streaming from shitty Amazon Prime.  I screamed at the television as Michael Caine died because the music drowned out his final words.  I really thought the movie crossed the line when the vending machine started to talk in NORAD, but no, I had to wait for a black hole to create a dream state inside an Earth farmhouse.

Pretentious, preachy, overlong crap.  Steaming crap.