What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a story about a small time a town Cheesebridge and the underground groups called boxtrolls. They are thought to be child-snatchers and one pest-contractor tries to get rid of them to enter the world of privilege. I wouldn't say there is anything truly remarkable in it, some of it might be a bit too disturbing for children, surprisingly. The animation is very nice. And voice work by Isaac Hempstead-Wright, Ben Kingsley and Simon Pegg is very well done. Dario Marianelli's score is easily among this years' best.

Karol

This Is Where I Leave You

A nice little family dramedy. Their interweb of character relationships can be a bit too much at times, but overall the cast has a great chemistry that makes it enjoyable. Giacchino's score is as sparse as anything and I honestly can't remember a note. A sessions leak would be nice.

This Is Where I Leave You

A nice little family dramedy. Their interweb of character relationships can be a bit too much at times, but overall the cast has a great chemistry that makes it enjoyable. Giacchino's score is as sparse as anything and I honestly can't remember a note. A sessions leak would be nice.

I just remember a lot of guitar. And some piano. The score never really stood out, but the movie was pleasant and some nice location camerawork. Beautiful.

I saw Maze Runner

It was an off beat movie and it was pretty decent entertainement. It did a good job of keeping me guessing what would happen next. The narrative was well put togheter

It was another Hunger Games/Divergent type film. In a post-apocalyptic world, some teens are put in an enclosed environment to survive as somekind of experiment. The walls of that place form a maze from which they must escape. There's monsters in the maze of course

Must be a series of books since the ending leads to a sequel

Never heard of it. Masterful marketing.

I've heard of it, buy hey, my son is a teen. From all the teenage angst movies that he has seen, he only likes The Hunger Games franchise. Of course, he has yet to watch ... Maze Runner, but to him, all the other ones are obvious clones of The Hunger Games.

Marvel is a missed opportunity for a wealth of great movie music. That's really the only thing wrong with Marvel movies. Even the never ending total destruction finales would be less of an issue with some smashing action set piece cues.

I do watch old geezer movies like The Bucket List from time to time

Oh and I am getting tired of superhero movies.Too much Marvel these last few years

Most movies are for a young crowd, KM. Marvel is no exception. The last new movie that I saw that wasn't for a young audience was Nebraska, I think. That being said, I thought the last few Marvels were quite entertaining. In a way, Marvel is the new family movie, which is perfect for Hollywood, because they want one big audience for maximum profit.

Marvel is a missed opportunity for a wealth of great movie music. That's really the only thing wrong with Marvel movies. Even the never ending total destruction finales would be less of an issue with some smashing action set piece cues.

I agree.

19! You go a year less every time you quote my age!

I liked The Hunger Games when it first came out, but its sequels bored me. And then the whole genre just got really repetitive. All unimaginative variations of each other by authors trying to make quick cash by exploiting that target audience.

But everyone, except for the author, knows Fifty Shades is a piece of shit. That's why it's an "event". It became the novel you had to read (myself excluded) because of its own stink and awfulness. Those YA novels take themselves very seriously indeed.

Very true. It's not a lifestyle choice either. You dont chose to be gay just as much as you dont chose to be straight.

When I was 11 and saw that picture in the TV guide og Heather Locklear in a white bikini on a beach, I didnt make the choice to grow a boner...it just happened.

Over the weekend I saw three newish movies. First up was:

edge_of_tomorrow_2014_movie-wide.jpg

Edge of Tomorrow

I thought it was good! Directed by Doug Liman (Swings, Go, Bourne 1, Mr & Mrs Smith), Tom Cruise is cast against type as a total puss coward, an ad executive who becomes an enlisted officer when aliens land in Europe and begin taking over the Earth in the near future. Due to a sequence of unfortunate events, he ends up being sent to join the front line in a planned attack on a beach in France against the aliens. He ends up dying minutes after landing, but immediately returns to the prior date, at the base preparing for the attack all over again. I won't say more about the story, but everything gets explained and the story is always involving. The explanation for the rebooting might not make any sense, but this is the kind of film where you just go with it.

It ended up being a nice blend of good action scenes (including both ground assault battles and some escape/chase scenes), comedy, and some mystery and sci-fi stuff. Emily Blunt plays an awesome solider who uses a helicopter blade as a sword and is seen as the hero of the war, since she massacred a large amount of aliens at a prior battle (you find out early on this is because she had repeated that day over 300 times herself).

Recommended, especially for Emily Blunt fans, as she is quite hot in it!

The score by Christophe Beck was atrocious, basically all RCP power chords with Inception/Pacific Rim BWAMMMS throughout.

Yea, it'd be nice if Powell returned to live action scoring.

Tom Cruise is on a roll with selecting good proejcts to star in lately.

I totally forgot to mention that BILL PAXTON is in the film, and he's GREAT! He gets a lot of the best lines and steals the scene everytime he's on screen. Shame he wasn't used more than he was, and I don't know why he was barely even seen in the trailers. He's great in this!